SoCal GenIII Vortec Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get the evap working. The transmission should have the mlps insralled. That should solve those issues. Sounds like aftermarket wiring/programming issues.

The rest of it sounds like BS.

Many people run the vette manifolds, and the Xfer case selector thing is BS.

There is precedent here... the nazi cannot do whatever he chooses, they must be comsistent. Call the ombudsman... communicate to the ref. that you have contacted the ombudsman... I bet his tone changes.

Well I was hoping to close out this thread with good news from the Referee, but no such luck. The visit with the Rio Hondo College Referee was a disaster. But of course, the emissions from the tailpipe we're waaaay below the maximum allowable!!!

The problems:

1. He did not like my Corvette manifolds.
2. O2 sensors (that are in the corvette manifolds) are in the wrong place.
3. Two OBD monitors are not set to Ready. The first one says that the O2 sensors can't initialize. The second says that the Evap system can't intialize.
4. He said the CEL wouldn't come on and throw a code when he unplugged the Air Flow Meter plug
5. He said that the PCM must be able to see the transmission selector signals, so it know's what gear it's in.
6. He said that the PCM must be able see when the transfer case is in low range.

So, What do I do? I can relocate the O2 sensors because I had the exhaust guy put a bung in the right place anticipating that this might be a problem. I need to chase down the OBD monitor problem, but Frank tells me that the failure for the evap system to initialize is a know problem, and his rig passed even though he had the same problem. I need to figure out why the CEL won't light, because It does work and it threw a code when I started it without the O2 sensors.

Is it possible to go to a different Referee after you've started the process with one?

I'll get through this one way or another, but your thoughts on the path of least resistance are appreciated!

John

1. Could be that it is cause you have a 4.8 and vette manifolds ? I call it BS....

2. Have you ran the truck through the cycles.. it does take a while.. but I dont see why they should not turn to ready mode..
Find out what is the specific cycle for your engine..
I would imagine all LS engines run the same cycle....General Motors Driving Cycle

3. The evap should be allowed to be imcomplete provided there are no pending codes for it.,(see pic)
----> here and -------> here is where I got the info from and "THE" REF at Chaffey College brought it up in my initial conversation.
He actually called his supervisor and confirm this was the case...
Screenshot (6).png

4. & 5. you need to check that out..!!

6. He clearly is talking out of his ass....the TC has nothing to do with an engine swap...or emission components...

John as you stated ..... these laws are subject to interpretation and this guy is f'ed up....
I would find out if you could take it to another REF....if you can then I say do it.. there is no point on trying to reason with this guy who IMHO does not now what he is doing....... that would be your path of less resistance....

According the the REFEREE PROGRAM, they are supposed to assist, not ding you for trying to make an older vehicle have up to date emissions...

I have had very good luck using the refs at Pierce College in the SFV, and the ref in Oxnard at the Community College. A bit of a drive but it may be worth it. I have it on good word that TLC uses the ref at Pierce College.

Don't worry you will get there. It is just lame that it runs so clean (way cleaner than stock) and they get hung up on petty BULL s***.

Dyno

Get the evap working. The transmission should have the mlps insralled. That should solve those issues. Sounds like aftermarket wiring/programming issues.

The rest of it sounds like BS.

Many people run the vette manifolds, and the Xfer case selector thing is BS.

There is precedent here... the nazi cannot do whatever he chooses, they must be comsistent. Call the ombudsman... communicate to the ref. that you have contacted the ombudsman... I bet his tone changes.

The harness was built by Pacific Fabrication. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can build a cable and connector that I can wire into the PCM. It's not that big of a deal. If I do that and meet them half way, maybe they'll back off on the manifold issue.

1. Could be that it is cause you have a 4.8 and vette manifolds ? I call it BS....

2. Have you ran the truck through the cycles.. it does take a while.. but I dont see why they should not turn to ready mode..
Find out what is the specific cycle for your engine..
I would imagine all LS engines run the same cycle....General Motors Driving Cycle

3. The evap should be allowed to be imcomplete provided there are no pending codes for it.,(see pic)
----> here and -------> here is where I got the info from and "THE" REF at Chaffey College brought it up in my initial conversation.
He actually called his supervisor and confirm this was the case...
View attachment 1264147

4. & 5. you need to check that out..!!

6. He clearly is talking out of his ass....the TC has nothing to do with an engine swap...or emission components...

John as you stated ..... these laws are subject to interpretation and this guy is f'ed up....
I would find out if you could take it to another REF....if you can then I say do it.. there is no point on trying to reason with this guy who IMHO does not now what he is doing....... that would be your path of less resistance....

According the the REFEREE PROGRAM, they are supposed to assist, not ding you for trying to make an older vehicle have up to date emissions...

Thanks Frank - This is great!! I'm sure this will give me a pass on the evap monitor.

I also subcribed to the Alldata.com. I read that it takes 40 cycles to clear the DTCs. That may explain why the O2 code was still there. Maybe I hadn't hit the 40 cycles to clear it since the original startup without the O2 sensors. The ref told me he manually cleared everything. I'll plug in your code reader tommorrow to see if it's reappeared.

I'm much more optimistic now.

However, I still would like to know if anybody has switched referees after the intial inspection. If I show up at a different one, will they tell me to go back to the original station?

The rules on this crap are crazy....seems like they should do a sniffer test and then determine "if the new engine reduces the emissions from the OEM stock levels...then have a nice day"

Hi all,

I do not live in Cali but I did a 5.3 swap with 4l60e. Got the engine from BD Turnkey and there is wire provided in the harness he does that tells the trans when the transfer case is in low range...supposed to change the shift points. I just have mine connected to a push button and click it when in low range. I only notice minimal change, not sure if it affects emmisions or not.

Brian

Hi all,

I do not live in Cali but I did a 5.3 swap with 4l60e. Got the engine from BD Turnkey and there is wire provided in the harness he does that tells the trans when the transfer case is in low range...supposed to change the shift points. I just have mine connected to a push button and click it when in low range. I only notice minimal change, not sure if it affects emmisions or not.

Brian

Yeah, I don't think that issue is insurmountable. I looked at the pinout for the PCM and there is an input for low range. After thinking about it, there must be a switch inside the TC to turn on the 4WD lamp on the dash, I suppose it's possible that could be connected to the wire that your're describing. That makes sense that it could alter the shiftpoints, and I'm sure that it has a negligible impact on emissions (like the headers) but that's not the point with California - it really isn't about emissions, they ran the emissions test and I'm way under the limits.

Right now, I've got some bigger concerns. I've confirmed that the CEL does not light when I pull the mass air flow connector. Now I have to confirm that it should light (I'm not going to assume that the Ref knows for sure that it's supposed to light when pulling this particular plug). I don't know enough about it know what conditions should trigger a CEL. I also have three monitors that are not initializing. O2 sensor, Cat, and Evap. According to the bulletin Frank posted, I can get away with the Evap, but I need to figure out why the other two aren't intializing.

And I'm still unclear as to the appeal process for the Corvette Manifold. What does one do when the Ref requires an unreasonable fix? I think he's right according to the letter of the law, but how do I go about appealing it? It's known that individual refs are reasonable and have given a pass, but I don't know that they actually have authority to do that. I'd like to know for sure before I talk to his boss or go to a different referee.

How are the manifolds illegal. They are factory manifolds and are 50 state smog compliant. I can put whatever header I want on my vehicle as long as it is smog compliant.

As far as the o2 sensors go. They might not be working properly due to being in the wrong location. Take them out of the manifolds and put them in the exhaust.

I sure hope these manifolds are able to be used because I am using them for my build also. I have read a ton of CA ls swap builds and I have yet to see one that used the truck manifolds. They will not work.

How are the manifolds illegal. They are factory manifolds and are 50 state smog compliant. I can put whatever header I want on my vehicle as long as it is smog compliant.

As far as the o2 sensors go. They might not be working properly due to being in the wrong location. Take them out of the manifolds and put them in the exhaust.

I sure hope these manifolds are able to be used because I am using them for my build also. I have read a ton of CA ls swap builds and I have yet to see one that used the truck manifolds. They will not work.

I am going to relocate them. I'm wondering if I have the right sensors. I ordered sensors according to the donor vehicle VIN, but the harness I bought had the opposite gender connector. I called the harness manufacturer, and he told me to order a different sensor. I'll call them and ask them about it eventually, but I want to do a bit more homework first.

I think it's possible to use the original exhaust manifolds, but it's a PITA. @pandasfj: you've got the headers that exit at the rear, right?

If I remember correctly, to make it work, I would have to relocate the engine further forward, which means cutting and rewelding the motor mounts, have both driveshafts modified again, and modify and possibly replace my crossmember, re-do fuel lines and transmission cooler lines, and modify or completly redo my fan shroud. The bottom line is that CERTAINTY is needed, it's absurd to know that many have done it in California with the corvette manifolds, but yet one is taking a chance for implementing what's commonly known as a best practice and could be subject to having to perform a massive reconfiguration.

I just bought the corvette center dumps. The rear dumps I bought would not work. I know George from Valley Habrids tld me he used the 2000 camereo manifolds. I might just tow mine to the referee he goes to. Seems like the guy u went to is a total ass.

I just looked at a picture of the camaro manifolds. They exit somewhere between the truck manifolds and the corvette. I can see how these would work. Maybe that's a better way to go because the ref may not notice that they're not the truck manifold. With the corvette manifold, it's obvious that it's not stock. To compound the problem, I put my O2 sensor in the bung that's in the middle of the manifold. The camaro manifold doesn't have that bung. So maybe it flies under the radar.

Hi,

I have the corvette manifolds on my 5.3 and the o2 sensors work fine in stock location, never had a CEL light. I can't help with the mass air flow sensor since I don't have one on it.

Brian

I got the 2010 camero and they will not work for me.

You got the 80'$ frame tho' ?

I almost went that way on my frame swap.. At the end the VETTE EM worked best...above the frame they sit !!

John, hopefully you can argue the current EM are good and all you have to address is the O2 sensors..and not swap the EM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom