SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just read Jim Brinks writeup on a 87 fj60. Are there any differences with a 83? Also he said you have to lengthen the front drive shaft. Any one know how much? Any problems that might pop up? Any help will be greatly praised thanx

Wildman

How much depends on every app.
Its one of those things where you do everything else first and then have that done.

If you're talking about an '83 FJ60 and you're just going to use the stock springs or other no-lift springs for the SOA, and you cut-n-turn the front axle, you can get away with NOT lengthening either drivelines. The '84 (I forget which month it change but without checking I want to say they changed trannies in 4/85...?) and earlier 60s have the shorter tranny and the front cv driveshaft and will be fine without lengthening the driveshafts.

I have a 10/84 FJ60 that's SOA with cut-n-turn front and have had no issues with my driveshafts. I had the front WAAAAY flexed out and the shaft didn't have any issues. My rear doesn't flex near as well as the front, but it's also not had any issues.

-Ferg-

And super size. You can see about an inch or so of the d-shaft splines. Of course this isn't a real world wheelin' experience with the shaft, but I don't see it being able to get completely seperated very easily.

-Ferg-

i have a nov. 1981 fj60 and i have stock springs and a 2inch shackel lift on my spring over and my front drive shaft is showing about a 1/2inch of teeth sitting on the ground.... i have ramped it and wheeled it on light trails with no problem.... so your prob good to go...

my door says nov. 1981 but my title says its an 82 so is it an 82 or an 81??????/

[quote author=lowtideride link=board=1;threadid=12029;start=msg110181#msg110181 date=1077726445]
i have a nov. 1981 fj60 and i have stock springs and a 2inch shackel lift on my spring over and my front drive shaft is showing about a 1/2inch of teeth sitting on the ground.... i have ramped it and wheeled it on light trails with no problem.... so your prob good to go...

my door says nov. 1981 but my title says its an 82 so is it an 82 or an 81??????/
[/quote]

82 model year :beer:

[quote author=wildman4wheeler link=board=1;threadid=12029;start=msg110137#msg110137 date=1077721939]
I am using 1 inch lift springs and 2 1/2 inch lift shackels.
[/quote]

Is that 2.5" lift shackles? As in 2.5" longer than stock? What size tires are you planning on running? That will make for a 1.25" lift over stock. Combined with 1 inch lift springs will make it 2.25" lift, plus the SOA amount. When I first completed the SOA (which was when I flexed it out in those pics) I went on a Club Run and parked next to a guy who had an SOA FJ60 with no-lift Alcan springs and I sat about 2 inches taller or so than him. I suspect it was the add-a-leafs in my spring packs that were keeping me up so high. Mine have now sorta settled down about an inch or so.

Anyway, I still think you should be fine. If anything, I say finish it all up and test it out with the stock d-shafts. If you find you have trouble, it's not that much work to pull the d-shafts if you needa have them lengthened at all. There rear will probably be fine still 'cause it's so stinkin' long to begin with.

Remeber this is assuming you ahve stock tranny and t-case--no alterations or doublers or anything.

-Ferg-

Hey where is the write up located I can't seem to find it? My son and I are just about ready to cut and roll the front diff. We want to just check we are going to cut in the right place. Thanks

I used a forklift to test the flex on my soa, there is very little driveshaft travel when flexed (one front wheel 2ft in the air, the other on the ground), but when both are in the air it looks like I have only about 1/2" of slider engagement, I don't want to get air with the front axle while driving,the ds might come apart or bind, either way would probably destroy the transfer case. This is on a BJ42, might be different on a 60 but check it out before you decide on front driveshaft length. The problem with my rear axle is on compression, I'm not sure whether the shocks or the driveshaft are bottoming out first. My point is to remember there is a lot more travel on the ds when the whole axle moves up and down than there is when flexed side to side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom