1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOA vs. SUA

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by chicago, Aug 18, 2006.

1. chicago

chicago

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey all,
    Im having a great deal of trouble making up my mind wether to go SOA or to stay SUA and I have a few questions I was hoping you all might be able to help with.
    The rig is an 88 FJ 62. Its my toy, not my DD, so it sees road time to and from the trails. THERE IS NO SPECIFIC TERRAIN I spend all my time on, I like a bit of EVERYTHING. I want to run 35's and have no clearance issues, but I would also like ample flex out of the suspension.
    I have done quite a bit of research, so Im not just being LAZY...I just hear some people tell me NOT to go SOA because it F's up the geometry so bad (Actually theyre JEEPERS, so take that how you want). I dont wanna make an un informed decision and go one way, only to find I should have gone the other.
    I wanna get the 60 series cruiser heads input!

SOA Q's: (planning on a cut and turn too)
    1) Do you need torsion/ anti wrap bars?
    2) Are there any real geometry problems that result from going SOA?
    3) Do you need wheel spacers and if so, what dimensions are required? (stock springs with AAL's and stock shackles)
    4) What should I be looking out for (problem wise) when going SOA?
    5) Is a C snd T a good idea for a 62 even though the diff is already rotated more than a 60?

SUA Q's:
    1) What needs to be done (additionaly, besides the springs etc) to run 35's on an SUA lift? Body lift, shackles etc? What dimensions?

Thanks,

Chicago

2. brokenparts

brokenparts

well I've got enough lift with my SUA to run 35s but I still get some very minor rub. If your on the fence do the SOA and get it over with.... if your looking to have it done and done correctly without getting your hand dirty it'll run you somewhere around $2500 all said and done.

3. Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

I have both a Heep and a 60.

I waited a long time with the Jeep to spring it over. My Jeep is a rock rig and needed to be sprung over. I tried many different lifts, but have to tell you that the spring over is awesome.

My 60 is not going to see rocks as much. I have a 3 inch lift on it and probably will spring it over someday in the future. For what its worth here is my opinion.

First decide if the height is going to affect getting in and out. My wife hates my Jeep now because she has a hell of a time climbing in. I wont put any bigger tires on it than 35’s because I will have the same issues.

Second is if you do a spring over I feel that doing a shackle reversal is the only way to go. Helps the rig steer better and break better.

Third, If you are going to do a Spring over DO IT RIGHT. I have had no steering issues with my Jeep. Why because I did it right, I had a friend help me that had sprung over 5 other Jeeps. We got good parts and did everything including all new steering components.

Like I said that is my opinion for what its worth

4. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I thought no better flex than SO conversion .. flat ans soft springs means good flex and nice ride .. but also means, at least rear traction bar ..

With a apropiate work ( cut and turn ) make you a very capable rig and cruiser, just I have no problems to drive my 9" lifted rig at 120 km/k with one hand in the steering wheel.

Also use 2" wheel spacers .. only to prevent body roll and get better stability.

5. TOY350

TOY350 #1 Super Guy SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:

My answers are inside your quote above. I'm SOA and think it's perfect for offroad, I can live with it on road because it's not my family DD. The only way I would do a SUA lift was if I used it as a DD with the family and traveled any great distances with it. The SOA is just a bit too tall and flexy to be running my family on the freeway in it IMOP.

:cheers:

6. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    SOA (cut and turn) with SR! It made a world of difference on my 40 and I can't wait to do the SOA on my 60.

7. chicago

chicago

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey all,
    Thanks for the replies! I had actually made up my mind to go SOA, then I talked to my jeep friends, and they but that doubting bug in my ear!
    The reason I ask about the C and T...I talked to Jeremiah at Proffits cruisers, and he said that on a 62, the C and T is not all that necessary because the diff is already turned to a greater angle which is NOT the case on a 60...
    He said that it would make road handleing better though.

Traction bars...whose running them? are they necessary?
    A lot of threads on SOA, and NONE I have seen mention ANYTHING about em. A friend with a 40 just got his and says they are absolutely necessary (Hey Rusty TLC). Is this true on the 60's? I know Tapage said hes got em, but aside from that, that is the one this I dont hear about.
    Im saving up for my lift (...actually, I have a custom motorcycle for sale so I can do my lift more quickly:D so if anyone is interested PM me.) so I want to start getting parts together so its not one big hit all at once. I really appreciate the info!

Chicago

8. Mark W

Mark W

For the earlier '60s with the short front driveshafts, a cut and turn is pretty much required. For the '62 with the longer auto treanny and therfore longer front DS it is not required. I just finished an SOA on my wife's '62 without a cut and turn.

1) You do not need torque/antiwrap bars.
    2) No, not if you don't do anything stupid (like rotating the entire front axle instead of cutting and turning for example...)
    3) No.
    4) Hard to say without knowing what your knowledge and abiities are. Nothing really complex about it.
    5) A C+T is not a bad thing. You will want to make sure that your double carden can handle the deflection, but not that is that big a deal to deal with. It will allow you to add in a bit more caster if you choose, to help with keeping largeer tires stable on the road. I personally don't feel that this is needed, but many do.

As to your second question "#1"... an SOA. ;)

Mark...

9. calfj60

calfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    I run a rear traction bar and wouldn't go any other way...whay not run one??? For me it is just piece of mind...Really don't want to do any on the trail reapirs if I don't have to...As for SOA I haven't had any complaints or second thoughts since doing it...I can and will DD mine here soon..gotta pass smog first...

10. Mark W

Mark W

No reason not to run a torque bar. But he asked if he *needed* to.

He doesn't. Not in a '62 with stock drivetrain. ;)

Mark...

11. chicago

chicago

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome...Thanks for the responses gents. It is really appreciated. Id like to find out what the damage will be (financially) and get the lift on, then do the traction bars! If I have enough, I might do it all at once.
    This really helped me out. I really didnt want to create more problems by going SOA by messing with the geometry issues etc., but it sounds as if its a very reasonable lift!
    SOA is what I wanted to do, but if I was going to be hindering more than helping, I would do what I had to for the SUA.

Thanks again,

Chicago

12. airon23

airon23

Chicago, I'm in Reno Nevada as well and would you believe it, I have a 60 that my brother in law and my self did the SOA. I would be more than willing to show you mine so you can get a physical look at what it'll be like and give you my opinion and likes and or dislikes or any suggestions if it would help. I drive a brown fj60 that is in my avatar with two of my dogs you might have seen it. Let me know if you would be interested, pm me or respond here.

13. BJ-44

BJ-44

A traction/torque bar would be a good idea if you do alot of wheeling. I had to put a traction bar on my BJ-44 after breaking three pinions (way too much axle wrap). I would get alot of wheel hop since the 44 has longer springs than a 60 and they are very soft after 25 years. The 60 and 70's I have SOA don't seem to have as much issue with wheel hop. Anyways though I love the peace of mind with the traction bar and it wheels much better now.

14. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    Back up and hit your brakes if your springs turn into S's you need a wrap bar. If you wheel.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  15. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Here you can see the upper side of my Track bar ..

[​IMG]

I place it about I'm scared about how much axle wrap you can get with nice flex springs .... so I'm not interested in broke a pinion right now.

other pic

[​IMG]

16. chicago

chicago

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the pics tapage.:beer:
    I think Proffitts sells trac bars too! Its probably not a bad Idea to get em on all at once. It is just very curious that no one seems to mention trac bars when they talk about their SOA. Im getting in patient and just wanna DO IT!
    Does anyone have any shots/ suggestions on routing the hard brake lines, or do they just stay as they are?

Thanks,

Chicago

17. jearl

jearl

I believe 4wheelauto.com offers cut and turned housings setup for SOA in exchange for your old housings and some $$$. Might not be a great option due to shipping costs though.

18. PortFJ62

PortFJ62

Im curious of any of you SOA guys have had any issues with being top heavy on the trail to the point of rethinking the SOA? Any thoughts? Sorry, while im here thought I would ask.

19. Mark W

Mark W

WHy are you thinking of moving your hardlines?

Mark...

20. Mark W

Mark W

It goes without saying that a taller rig will have a higher center of gravity. But it's not that big a deal. Most guys sitting SOA wind up with at least a slightly wider stance to go with it due to larger/wider tires or wheels with more offset or both.

But the short answer to your question is... Nope.

That is based on several SOA rigs that I drive/have driven as personal rigs and on the guys that run with me on the trail (almost all SOA).

No concerns.

Mark...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">