1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOA Ubolt issue

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dmaddox, Aug 6, 2005.

1. dmaddox

dmaddox

Albums:
    You guessed it, I cant get that ubolt to work on the front inner diff side. (the long one).

When I rotate the pinion angle to 15 degrees, the housing is squarish right there making the ubolt also turn. It can't pivot like the other 3 ubolts.

what is a safe and reliable alternative? Dont tell me torching and bending is safe and reliable, becuase it doesn't seem that way....plus I don't have tanks for my torch.

hmmmmmm......

thanks!

ragman

2. megolfer

megolfer

Bend it to make it work. It will need to be bent around the Diff. Its hard but it can be done.

3. peesalot

peesalot

piece o cake
    on the front side or the side you are gonna put in front you will want a 15 ( if that what you rotated pinion to) deg. bend about 3/4 to 1 in. below where threads stop. The other side gets a 15 deg. bend just below where the threads stop. put in vise , slide jack handle over it and bend , taint that hard tall'......

4. Mark W

Mark W

Ya make not want to hear it... but bending the ubolt IS safe and reliable. And you don't need a torch. Just do it cold. It's not that much of a bend.

Mark...

5. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    bend it worked for me

6. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    bend it...torch or otherwise...just the front/forward side tho, the backside doesn't need it.

7. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Never seen one break at the bend... we just put a hi-lift handle over the threaded portion (with a nut on to prevent damaging the thread) and bend away. Works great :D

8. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    i had one crack at the bend (not all the way through) noticed it on the trail . welded it on site (campground) vertical bead over the crack . crack was horizontal . held up for the rest of the trip and 500 miles home .