SOA Traction Bar Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I've never really done any SOA stuff before, so to you guys that have: Is the factory cross-member behind the t-case an acceptable place to mount a traction bar, or is it too weak? Where have you guys mounted them?

20201008_171753.jpg
20201008_171812.jpg

Noodles, you might get some better input over in the hard-core section.

Very few of us in the 40 section go that far!

The short answer to your question is yes, that crossmember will work. Having said that, do a search because there is PLENTY of information available on 'mud, here and in hardcore, detailing the fabrication traction bars.

You can get away with a lot on a mall crawler, so you should look for trail - proven examples that get a lot of articulation. A bad traction bar design can be worse than none at all.

The short answer to your question is yes, that crossmember will work. Having said that, do a search because there is PLENTY of information available on 'mud, here and in hardcore, detailing the fabrication traction bars.

You can get away with a lot on a mall crawler, so you should look for trail - proven examples that get a lot of articulation. A bad traction bar design can be worse than none at all.

Looking at a lot of the old threads, the general consensus is that I need to mount the bar below the centerline of the axle to properly contain wrap and not eat pinons. I have a Ruff Stuff kit, is that going to work? I would assume that it would, but you seem to know a lot more than me on this stuff.

I have the Ruff Stuff setup. Mine is modified at the shackle end since my engine/transmission combo required the removal of the crossmember, and I am running 60 springs shoved back as far as they'll go. If you've looked at the threads on the subject you noticed there is no shortage of opinions. My bar is mounted above the centerline of the axle with the Ruff Stuff old school 'laid back' brackets on the axle, it works and doesn't bind, which is all I need it to do.

The crossmember is only strong enough if you mount it to the bottom of the crossmember. That way the torque will try to push up through the tube which the tube is able to handle. If the mount is mounted to the top or the side for the tube it will rip apart the tube unless you heavily beef up the tube.

Years ago, on an earlier version, mine was connected to the bottom side of the crossmember and it handled it fine.

The crossmember is only strong enough if you mount it to the bottom of the crossmember. That way the torque will try to push up through the tube which the tube is able to handle. If the mount is mounted to the top or the side for the tube it will rip apart the tube unless you heavily beef up the tube.

I was thinking of mounting close to the frame on the underside of the cross member to try to keep the bar more parallel. I'm still probably going to beef up the tube with a few gussets, but that is good to know that it will most likely survive.

close to the frame
I think you'll find that most effective designs have the anti wrap bar as close to the center of the axle as possible. Which negates the forward mount being close to the frame.

I think you'll find that most effective designs have the anti wrap bar as close to the center of the axle as possible. Which negates the forward mount being close to the frame.

Good point, I didn't really think that about that, but it will probably pull unevenly on one side. I may need to get my skid plate built and mount to that....

get my skid plate built and mount to that
I've seen this done successfully. On my SOA truck, the PO had removed the stock cross member. I built a replacement out of 2" square tube and mounted my anti-wrap bar shackle to it.

@pjohnson , is that really your HAM call sign???? I just noticed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom