Soa cut n turn camber angles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening fellas , awhile back I was into some old posts about camber angles on diffs that have been cut and turned and there was some info related to different tire sizes and the camber angle that seemed to work best with that size of boot . Anyways I cannot seem to find it again and was wondering if someone could post a link to it ? Maybe they had pit in some info on the topic . Thank you

You mean caster , camber is like this

Screenshot_20230301_201953_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Yeah my bad

Try the links here:
Here is a measurement from one that I sold.

Personally , I like 3 degrees. In a SOA with trail gear arms , the tie rod remains close to the packs . Any more caster and the tie rod tends to hit the frame more under full flex. I find that when you go higher, there is more chance of death wobble occurring as things start to wear out. The more caster - the more effective weight is applied to the steering to re-center the wheels.
Caster seems to be a very subjective thing though to most. That's why I stated "personally" at the start of my response. I run from 35" to 40' tires on my various rigs FWIW.

I really should check mine.for fun it’s been years im Curious to see what I get. The caster is the last thing I set when building the rig. I completely build the rig set all the weight on it set it on jack stands and start to level the whole rig front to back side to side
(I run a string from the front axle to the rear axle with a bubble level on it ,side to side not so critical) ,,then set caster then tack it then do the final weld to many variables between rigs to just set it up on the bench. shackle reversal ,shackle length ,even a spring flip ,every rig is different ,I also like setting the pinion angle how I want it setting it up last. (ie after truck is completely built) .
Instead of on a bench
I like to get it perfect , hahaha

Thank you for the replies men , I had a number in my mind of setting them at 5 degrees but reading some old posts linked here it may be too much . I plan on buying the kit from ruffstuff fab of new front spring perches for the soa and then after it's all completed setting the caster with the weight on it , time consuming but I think in the end it will be much better handling .

Agreed, and that process gives you a chance to check shackle angle and make adjustments to hangers, shackles, whatever to get it the way you want. FWIW , IMO a SOA fj40 needs proper or even excessive shackle angle , anything straight or close to it will be painful, bouncy unless you use clapped out , flat springs.

Caster really depends on tire size. The larger the tire, the more caster it takes to help them return to center. I've heard of guys going 9+ degrees with 40"+ tires and loving it. I'm about 7 degrees on 37"s and I have no issues. Good suspension geometry (even with leaves) will help with good-feeling steering. Having too low of caster really sucks, and the vehicle will want to wander when held in a straight line.

Caster really depends on tire size. The larger the tire, the more caster it takes to help them return to center. I've heard of guys going 9+ degrees with 40"+ tires and loving it. I'm about 7 degrees on 37"s and I have no issues. Good suspension geometry (even with leaves) will help with good-feeling steering. Having too low of caster really sucks, and the vehicle will want to wander when held in a straight line.
I run 4 or 5 degrees with 38.5 x14’5 x15
swampers TSL SX’s for 18 years never had a wonder issue ,just saying , I’m running 37 toyo’s Now and it runs straight as an arrow.
Cheers. Wondering also comes from crappy steering geometry as well . Like from bump steer. Bump steer causes most of the wondering on a lot of the FJ40 ‘s out there.

I run 4 or 5 degrees with 38.5 x14’5 x15
swampers TSL SX’s for 18 years never had a wonder issue ,just saying , I’m running 37 toyo’s Now and it runs straight as an arrow.
Cheers. Wondering also comes from crappy steering geometry as well . Like from bump steer. Bump steer causes most of the wondering on a lot of the FJ40 ‘s out there.

Never said you couldn't get away with less. Caster is just a self aligning torque on the wheels. The more you have, the snappier it is returning to center is. There is a point of too much, but you would be hard pressed to see the effects of it in a 40.If you have enough that you are happy with it, that is all you need. Bad steering geometry can be a part of wandering, but usually I would consider it to be much more violent than a slight wander. I would blame loose steering components for a wander first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom