SOA conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
Hey local PNW cruiser enthusiasts. I’ve been working on my diesel swap with my buddy Jeremy since Mid January. We dropped in a 4BT Cummins and NV4500 dodge 5 speed tranny. It’s up and running. It’s currently stock SUA. I’ve received the Ruff Stuff SOA kit with 0 degree caster for a cut and turn. I’ve found some good threads on this. I think this will be the part I’ll need most help on. I just purchased the Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit with 25MM pin kit upgrade. I purchased a FJ80 rear axle which I was told it had disc brakes howerver when I went to pick it up yesterday it had drum brakes. Fortunately there is a 96 Lexus in Creswell at another yard that has the 80s axle with disc brakes and they are sending it up hopefully with the eBrake cable. I’ve purchased Chevy 63 springs in March to put on the FJ80 rear axle and move stock rear springs to the front. My stock power steering gearbox is leaking so I’ll either need to rebuild or get another one. Have also found a few FJ80 gearboxes but am not sure if it’s an easy retrofit or some modifications will need to be made. @boots4 and @Cruiserdrew have been super helpful. Mike brought up hydro assist which seems worth it also. My biggest dilemma is time. My work schedule is really busy and so is family time. I’m on the fence about doing this myself or having a 4x4 shop do this. Perhaps one of you on MUD would be willing to help or take it on. My buddy Jeremy said he could help but this is out of his area or expertise. He’s a knowledgeable diesel guy. I’m in the Boring/ Sandy/ Estacada area if your interested in seeing the cruiser. Canby Exhaust is doing the 3” exhaust next Friday. Had another shop look and it was over a grand. They quoted $550 with a dampener muffler for the 4BT diesel. Here is my cruiser with the 4BT and drivable SUA. My build thread in the 60s forum is

Builds - 85 FJ60 4BT Cummins- SOA preparation
7559C645-8C6D-4DA7-B531-000102BED670.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey local PNW cruiser enthusiasts. I’ve been working on my diesel swap with my buddy Jeremy since Mid January. We dropped in a 4BT Cummins and NV4500 dodge 5 speed tranny. It’s up and running. It’s currently stock SUA. I’ve received the Ruff Stuff SOA kit with 0 degree caster for a cut and turn. I’ve found some good threads on this. I think this will be the part I’ll need most help on. I just purchased the Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit with 25MM pin kit upgrade. I purchased a FJ80 rear axle which I was told it had disc brakes howerver when I went to pick it up yesterday it had drum brakes. Fortunately there is a 96 Lexus in Creswell at another yard that has the 80s axle with disc brakes and they are sending it up hopefully with the eBrake cable. I’ve purchased Chevy 63 springs in March to put on the FJ80 rear axle and move stock rear springs to the front. My stock power steering gearbox is leaking so I’ll either need to rebuild or get another one. Have also found a few FJ80 gearboxes but am not sure if it’s an easy retrofit or some modifications will need to be made. @boots4 and @Cruiserdrew have been super helpful. Mike brought up hydro assist which seems worth it also. My biggest dilemma is time. My work schedule is really busy and so is family time. I’m on the fence about doing this myself or having a 4x4 shop do this. Perhaps one of you on MUD would be willing to help or take it on. My buddy Jeremy said he could help but this is out of his area or expertise. He’s a knowledgeable diesel guy. I’m in the Boring/ Sandy/ Estacada area if your interested in seeing the cruiser. Canby Exhaust is doing the 3” exhaust next Friday. Had another shop look and it was over a grand. They quoted $550 with a dampener muffler for the 4BT diesel. Here is my cruiser with the 4BT and drivable SUA. My build thread in the 60s forum is

Builds - 85 FJ60 4BT Cummins- SOA preparation
View attachment 1778818
That's quite the list of things to do. Do you have a good welder? Do you have everything you need for the spring over conversion as well as the conversion to chevy 63's? Do you plan on running a 37" or bigger tire? If not, why go SOA?
A spring over done at a shop is going to cost some coin, as well as likely take a good bit of time. If you have the space and tools at your place, I'm sure some people will be willing to lend a hand, or at least give you some good pointers and direction.

@boots4 Mike is coming over tomorrow to help me with the 60s PS gearbox rebuild and tap for hydro assist. We are planning the SOA build tomorrow. Work for me has been insaine and a lot to get ready around the property for winter. Also kids sports... can’t wait to have this ready for winter to go snow wheeling. Your more than welcome to come. @Dirtgypsy Clint has also been down to assist.

Personally, I keep forgetting to come over to this part of Mud. Glad things are moving along for you!

First set of work parties if anyone wants to help and their schedule allows it. I'll suggest Jason buys us pizza and provides some beverages.

The Plan:

Set up the front first and then work on the rear. Front will be factory design shackle forward, rear cruiser leaves will go up front, ruffstuff kit, highsteer, ram assist. Cut n' turn to be decided after pinion angle is decided.

Rear will be swapped to FJ80 axle, chevy 63's, ruffstuff kit, might need to stay shackle mount under frame due to exhaust routing. Will decide based on front ride height.

October dates.

1st date: Sat. OCT 13th - Start at 9am. I'll be there a full day.

2nd date: Sat. OCT 20th - Start at 9am. I'll need to be on the road by 12:30.

So far for the SOA build I’ve got my buddy Jeremy and my buddy Matt who’s on call for work. Hopefully he wont have any calls. Mike will be there. Contacted @JHE4601 Justin who bought my carb who may also try to be there.

I would love to! I just need to figure out what is going on with the family. My prego wife got Hand Foot and Mouth disease from one of her students and the recovery has been hell. If I can sneak out there I will give you a call.
That’d be great but take care of the fam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom