so you know about these super duper strong magnets...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I've got a couple. Recently, like an idiot, I brought them in fairly close proximity by accident and they decided they were going to have some :censor: fun together.
Now, these are strong. Well, at least for me they are strong, and there is no way I can separate them by hand just like that, by holding them and pulling. Just no.
So I had to use my big vise, grab one with it, and then slide the other one off, which took some doing.
But after that, I thought I could do better than having them just stuck to the side of my steel bench for storage, as I usually do. I have used a sheet of thick rubber between the magnet and the steel frame and that helps, it makes them easier to take off the bench, but if anything comes close, it'll still stick to the outside face. And when it's in my hand and if I'm not careful, it'll stick to something else way too easily by accident.

It dawned on me -belatedly- that I can put them in a closed plastic container. Much easier to move around without it getting stuck hard on stuff in the shop by accident, and easier to remove from the bench frame if stored there, especially if the container bottom is very thick or recessed. Also, I can then use them -in the plastic container- to pick up ferrous shavings around the power tools and have then a much easier time removing the shavings for the trash. Just don't pick an old plastic container cuz one I used first did shatter when the magnet pulled it onto the bench frame at supersonic speed.

So, there you go, that is my magnetic PSA contribution for the day...! Cuz, eh, it's either that or clean the garage earlier... :)

I've got a couple. Recently, like an idiot, I brought them in fairly close proximity by accident and they decided they were going to have some :censor: fun together.
Now, these are strong. Well, at least for me they are strong, and there is no way I can separate them by hand just like that, by holding them and pulling. Just no.
So I had to use my big vise, grab one with it, and then slide the other one off, which took some doing.
But after that, I thought I could do better than having them just stuck to the side of my steel bench for storage, as I usually do. I have used a sheet of thick rubber between the magnet and the steel frame and that helps, it makes them easier to take off the bench, but if anything comes close, it'll still stick to the outside face. And when it's in my hand and if I'm not careful, it'll stick to something else way too easily by accident.

It dawned on me -belatedly- that I can put them in a closed plastic container. Much easier to move around without it getting stuck hard on stuff in the shop by accident, and easier to remove from the bench frame if stored there, especially if the container bottom is very thick or recessed. Also, I can then use them -in the plastic container- to pick up ferrous shavings around the power tools and have then a much easier time removing the shavings for the trash. Just don't pick an old plastic container cuz one I used first did shatter when the magnet pulled it onto the bench frame at supersonic speed.

So, there you go, that is my magnetic PSA contribution for the day...! Cuz, eh, it's either that or clean the garage earlier... :)
And don't think it's cool to hold them about two inches apart and let one go to the other. One or both will explode with chips flying off from the impact that can get in your eyes or embed in your skin.

Had an idiot at work do this with two rare earth magnets and it blew chips all over and made it so they were virtually useless because they were no longer cylinder shaped.

A friend of mine used to work in a place that used crazy strong magnets in an assembly they built. They tested every magnet and some weren't strong enough- He'd bring those home. He gave me a bunch and I did the same as you- stuck them to the side of my heavy steel fab table.

One day I was walking beside my big fab table and a stack of those magnets ripped the pocket out of my pants with my keys.

I stopped sticking those magnets to my fab table after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom