So where is the best place/price to get an H55? Also tech ques?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Zack1978, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hello,
    Well after much debate, I think I will be getting the H55 for my 87 fj60, rather than rebuilding my H42. After all is said and done, I think it will be close in price between rebuilding the H42 and getting a new H55. So where is the best place to get ( READ CHEAP!!) the H55? What about shipping to NJ?

Also I am a bit nervous about the info about tapping a bolt into the case of the H55 to prevent the oil seepage between the trans an t-case. Can someone elaborate about this issue, and give me the exact steps of the process, so that I can pass it along to my mechanic? What else must be done to get the H55 in my 87 60?

Thank you,
    Zack

2. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

3. CardinalFJ60

CardinalFJ60

yeah - CDan and...

also check cruiserparts.net - they are in NH.

4. Mike S

Mike S

There are some excellent write ups on this subject in the FAQ at the top of this section. This will walk you through the process. Mercifully, this is a very easy swap on an '86 or '87 fj60. YOU WILL LIKE IT - IT REALLY WAKES UP YOUR TRUCK.

I agree with the suggestion to call C Dan. BUY NEW. No reason other than there is little to save between buying a new or used unit, and the new unit will be perfect, not worn.

M

5. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

C-Dan - mine was the first he rounded up...

Don't fret on the hole tapping/sealing thing. It's a five minute job.

You also need the dribble cup (Dan will set you up) and the 5-spd shifter is also recommended (I know people have reused the 4spd but if you're spending that much coin why not do it right with a properly designed part?)

6. FJ60Cam

FJ60Cam Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

I was thinking of tackling this myself in the near future. How hard would this be for a :banana: :banana: home mechanic? Do I need a second person helping out? Anybody in Memphis that wants to show off their skills?

7. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Call Dan. When I did mine he even had the oil cup in stock (must be used on something else). The hole you tap is not on the tranny, but the transfer case. Simple, simple simple.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.