So what is the final word on Sea-Foam? Does it work?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I have used sea foam on my 87 fj-60 once, and when I did it I dumped it down the carb. It bellowed the smoke for a while, then stopped. However you read different things, some people say that the smoke is just the Sea-Foam burning off, others asy it is the carbon. So what is it? Does it work or not? Any ideas or feedback?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    yes, it fouls plugs like there is no tomorrow. no, i saw,felt,noticed no change what so ever. not gonna buy it agian.

3. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I add it to my gas. It worked good on my 68 Buick to keep the valves from knocking....seems like that's what would fix it anyway.

I used it about once a month. Figure it's $3 or so....can't hurt.

4. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

In the absence of a tall fence, it makes a good surrogate neigbour repellant. Oh, and I hear it makes easy disposal of latex gloves .. :D

TY - hardcore techster extrordinaire

5. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I have used it in my Yukon routinely. If your fuel system is old and no doubt plugged with all kinds of crap, the SeaFoam will loosen it and it may plug your fuel filter, or the screen in the carb. In my case, I had just rdone the tank, new lines and pump plus filter, so guess what it loosened.....all the little pieces of old gasket in the carb. The emulsifier tubes looked like they were full of toenail clippings. That's when I learned to rebuild a carb. Now I use it spring and fall.
    The only way I have used it is in the tank.

GL

Ed

6. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Well I was thinking more along the lines of a carbon build-up removal process. Does it do anything in the end?

Zack

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I used a 50/50 mixture of brake fluid and water. Can use 100% of either.

Seemed to make some difference in mid to top range. Just seems to rev a little better.

8. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:

Pretty much my experience. I had mucho carb problems with everything I poured it in, truck, mowers, boat. It works but prolly should be part of a regular maintenance program.

9. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Bailey is right about the water thing. Drizzle it down the carb with the engine running about 1,000 rpm and that should help decarbinize it. Especially if you follow that with about an hour of highway driving. Using ATF in the same way unsticks sticky lifters, but only hydraulic lifters, IIRC. SeaFoam has some applications for crankcase and down the carb, but I've never tried them.
    I think SeaFoam in the tank is great if you have Fi, better than Techron, and cheeper.

I------Like-------SeaFoam.

JMO

Ed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.