So what do you do with metal after you sandblast it?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I got the sandblasting media today, a black slag product called "Black Beauty"( I am serious, thats what it is called!), and I tried out the sandblaster on my trailer. Well when I was done the paint and rust was gone, but the metal feels weird. It almost seems pitted, but the metal was not full of heavy rust. It is however smooth. So what should I do to prep the metal before I paint it? Should I sand it a bit? Do I need to use a special type of primer. On Tues or Wed I want to sandblast my snow plow. I got the special yellow Fisher paint, that they say to brush on, but what should I do before I paint it? Is metal smooth after sandblasting?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. John E Davies

John E Davies

That's a bunch of questions.

The sand actually erodes the steel, causing a gazillion fine pits. The size of the pits depends on the grit size of the sand.

The raw steel _may_ rust VERY quickly, depending on the relative humidity of your location - you need to spray on a primer coat after cleaning off the dust with a cotton rag wetted with paint thinner or lacquer thinner. You need to remove all the left over sand and rust particles and also your greasy fingerprints.

If you want a glossy finish you will have to sand the primer and reapply as needed until you get a smooth surface for the final paint coat(s).

Use whatever primer is recommended by the manufacturer of the paint you will be using.

Remember, a good paint job is 90% good prep and 10% good application.

Google "Auto paint FAQ" and you should get some information on good painting practices.

John

3. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

You should acid etch it, use a good self-etching primer, sand, filler primer, sand, and paint.

4. trainrech

trainrech

Why acid etch after a good sandblasting? With the suitable surface profile that sandblasting should provide a good primer would be the next step (once residue, fingerprints, etc. are wiped down).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.