So tell me I'm an idiot.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We currently have a '19 white with terra, 10K miles (we both work from home and I have a company vehicle).

Stopped by the LC dealer to have the 10K oil change done and they had a new gray/black. Damn it looked good. Last year. Yada yada.

Another dealer has a HE. Not sure I am a huge fan of the HE. Seems like a lot of $$$ for the wheels and roof rack.

Am I as much of a knucklehead as I think sometimes for considering trading our '19 for the '21?

Feel free to fire away! :)

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
- Thomas Tusser 1557

Still true today. If you have the money, you don't mind losing it, and a '21 will make you and your family happy - then go ahead!

Only you can answer your question about your idiot status.

HTH

I don't see much difference between the years. Unless you really want the last model year. Do like most find some used or buy wheels, get a real not silly looking roof rack ,and some decals. Honestly can't go wrong with either

To me the main selling point of the HE wasn't the wheels - it was the black headliner. Not sure if that is offered now in the "base" or not. Also, I sold the yakima basket FWIW. Having said that, the 2021 (HE or otherwise) is not much of an upgrade over your '19. If you were even getting CarPlay or something truly novel it might be a good decision, but you'd just be buying up the value of your vehicle and swapping colors. I don't think I'd do it.

I could probably trade my 2018 now with 10K miles on it but with the upgrades I have on it (full wrap, dual battery, trailer brake controller) plus more to come I wouldn't even think about it. Those 3rd row seats are easily removed and could be a selling point to someone else.
Just my .02

Ok you are an Idiot.
You only live once.
It is just money can't take it with you when your gone.
Bird in hand is better than 2 in bush.
Only you can chose your path.
Good luck in what ever you chose to do. I am happy with my 2016 and would not upgrade but that is just me.

Last edited:
Get the grey/black and drive what you love. You only live once. ;)

If you have a 2018+, no reason to do that. 2018 was the last model year to get some nice upgrades. If it was a 2016, then maybe I could see that.

Why not just use the money and customize and make your Land Cruiser unique? You could use that money for a really nice set of wheels and tires of your choice. And even get a wrap to make it even more unique if that interests you.

To me the main selling point of the HE wasn't the wheels - it was the black headliner. Not sure if that is offered now in the "base" or not. Also, I sold the yakima basket FWIW. Having said that, the 2021 (HE or otherwise) is not much of an upgrade over your '19. If you were even getting CarPlay or something truly novel it might be a good decision, but you'd just be buying up the value of your vehicle and swapping colors. I don't think I'd do it.
I believe that since he has the terra interior in the 2019, his headliner is black already.

We currently have a '19 white with terra, 10K miles (we both work from home and I have a company vehicle).

Stopped by the LC dealer to have the 10K oil change done and they had a new gray/black. Damn it looked good. Last year. Yada yada.

Another dealer has a HE. Not sure I am a huge fan of the HE. Seems like a lot of $$$ for the wheels and roof rack.

Am I as much of a knucklehead as I think sometimes for considering trading our '19 for the '21?

IF i was going to do what you’re planning, then i would get HE.…..but that’s because i love those HE rims. :D

2020+ LCs do bring with it an updated front differential carrier……not sure if it is stronger/better….that is for the smarter folks here to determine.

But then again, it seems that the 2021’s are having more little issues here and there than previous years????

This probably isn't even on the scale of idiocy a dealership finance manager see's in an hour, not saying that should be the goal of course.

What are you into your 19 for? What can you trade it in for? What can you get the 21 for? Total up your losses and see if it's palatable for the time and per mile cost +/- some additional leeway for your own personal satisfaction.

In regards to HE or non-HE, I wouldn't give up the cooler box for cool wheels or at least that's the decision I made last year.

LOL. Great thread title drew me in. Land Cruisers are reputed to last several decades, therefore it's always advisable to trade up for a newer model, right?
Money's obviously not an object for you, so just do it!

Terra is much better looking than black interior, IMO. I wouldn't do it, especially with only 10k on the '19.

I have a 2016 and was looking into trading it in for a 2021 HE, BUT for me...... not having a cool box was a deal breaker. I know you can buy a refrigerator, but its really nice having cold drinks right next to you and not having to pullover.. Also I don't have the power liftgate which I also enjoy NOT having.

20210327_104244.png

I think that would be an utterly pointless waste of money, but it's your money to waste.

I knew there would be some good responses. Love it!

I love the grey.....but the white is timeless :)
I believe Eric Sargent has said that the white is more expensive because it has extra coating on it. So, that is why it cost a small premium over all other paint. So, white should be more “durable” and white also hides scratches very well especially if you off-road…..unlike the darker colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom