Builds So now I have a BJ74... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NM Frontier

SILVER Star
Threads
Current state:
2LJ-FtSPGKICEgSsxYoM6r9FM_u3Zoalj8CzSPbT2qUd6XIShjGLffUXHbblSy_Yv-hXkAr6khvbdf6uKlttPQYZL9vQGG4_iTJkssCHXe4lxM9JCjCgYYS7S2b6jskxBCQ6P8SQOroaq7hScfEkTj9GRjE3ljTFiETbTkhwB9RpU8rzQR7m_gsi9dfbr7XtGYz-grk3eYG-51Vtu8_gAOhdCpQh5HcHynscGjhxEVOFPCWa2C9kHbLxfruDaZ5QL9Vi20HzKrv068y7qByWW15EBTlHSVI1XxcoU1TpRwti76GEKBk1nHTgtHv87mxKJizR5uimp1KTD2np0JvgP56qT7rov903RZ5uv0kawgmVozcp5dm-znxLmid2WJ2wK7iVD5xrXx3HApk-DPykL6y7TWxX_kpsz3CvSKiCkjE_RF6_Ari-0r6jzNYR8tRRUyKYmu-h_vD5HD5Y-8LbwpBh7VKDQxTTEFjqEw10I3z5gJcUlDS0Zr0u0gwUhKR6ISAuf0lhI5QaWRDQ5gf8Tq4WBRHBCFBAyuv-JhNj4v3hkNc60CV_MXaVD3jYIAOl5JdJ9G4IM1Q7gGGUZRFDUPAlEhLeCD-7FdaBZfOxCH3Mkd3u=w851-h638-no

Previous versions:
IMG_7617.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG

This is really the evolution of this thread,So I want a BJ74... witch is a discussion of looking for and deciding on a Bj74. Figured now that the search is over and the cruiser is in the drive way a more traditional "build thread" is due.

I started looking ("giving in") this past April and talked back and forth with Steve at Land Cruisers Direct about several different ones. I didn't want a perfect one nor did I want the "mechanics special". After more debating (see thread above) I settled on the beauty you see here.1989 BJ74, 240xxxkms, PTO winch, Auto trans, split rear bench, and cable lockers. Also included was warn out springs, "racy" JDM aftermarket wheels, no radio, some mystery wires, and some rust in the usual places. Perfect!

Steve was great to work with and delivered exactly what he described on his site. We sat on the phone and went through the pictures on the site together be for I settled on this one. This was my first sight unseen vehicle and feel the process was as good as it could get.They go though and do all the fluids, fix some small stuff, add new batteries, and make sure the truck is ready to go out the door. I would highly recommend Steve to any one in the market.

photo%2B%281%29.JPG

Fresh off the truck drive way shot

Plans for now include: (no real order)
Further PM stuff/collect spares
Aux trans cooler
Steel wheels
Tires
Radio
24v-12v converter
Fridge harness
OME suspension

Lots more to come...

Last edited:
Some Pictures,

IMG_6374.JPG

Odometer shot

IMG_6373.JPG

Diving in to wire nest

IMG_6372.JPG

The Goods!

IMG_6375.JPG

Split bench

IMG_6376.JPG

13bt

IMG_6377.JPG

PTO and Cibie lights, both in working order

IMG_6378.JPG

The little mirror that points at the ground, any one know what your ment to see out this? Can't seem to adjust.

And the bad...

IMG_6379.JPG

This is the rust on the truck, so far I have not found any more, but still tearing thing apart. Under the carpet in the cargo area has some corrosion forming on the ties downs and bolts but not brown rust yet so I think I will be good there if I get right on it. For now I am just going to treat and paint any potential future spots, and focus on the mechanics of the truck first. Thankfully our climate here is a lot more friendly to sheet metal.

This is not meant to be a resto project or show truck, just a good driving project that I can build/fix and enjoy. I plan to drive the wheels off it and enjoy all the 7* series has to offer. I know I will find more and have to deal with it, I am concerned with the rust but I'm not gona get hung up on it(I know you guys are cringing:flipoff2:) for now, kind of a confine and prevent plan for now.

The mirror is to aid in parking and vehicle placement. It's pretty tight in Japan and those come in handy.

Got some good work done yesterday on the 74, since pictures speak louder then words,

First off the replaced these;
IMG_6364.JPG

With these, leftover from my old 60, should hold me over till the OME goes on.
IMG_6360.JPG

Then fit these;
IMG_6359.JPG

So I could use these;
IMG_6363.JPG

In this size;
IMG_6361.JPG

Then went out and did this;
IMG_6370.JPG

And tried these out;
IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

It was awesome

Last edited:
Does that have rear seatbelts?

Congrats on the rig, I've never seen the split back seat before, they look like they are set back a bit further than your standard bench. I like the colour and of course your cable lockers, enjoy !!

NICE!

Very nice! congrats! Love the cable lockers!

Last edited:
I am concerned with the rust but I'm not gona get hung up on it (I know you guys are cringing) for now, kind of a confine and prevent plan for now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've seen a lot worse. :)

Thanks!

The seats do sit back farther then the solid ones do, witch is kinda a bummer for what I got going. I love the idea of the split, but would rather have the cargo space, since I don't see a lot of people riding in it, taking advantage of the extra room.

The cable lockers are neat a lot more fun then just turning a dial, I do wish they had a more positive click when engaged as there seems to be a delay in the dash light coming on. But they seem to work fine and after using them a few times they seem to engage better.

After driving it for a few days now, city, hwy, and trail, the truck is a blast to drive. The diesel is smoother then I thought it would be and the auto shifts smooth. The 235s haven't seemed to have much of an impact on acceleration but I haven't pulled a steep grade yet.
Can't wait to get some new tie rods and springs on it though, boy they are shot! Other then that everything seems to be just what I expected it to be. Stoked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom