So lift confused....yes i did many searches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe someone has been in this problem before. I've searched the heck out of the site but I either find what I'm looking for or I find an answer that conflicts with another. I want to go with the OME 2.5 lift, I currently have BFG 285's. The cruiser is going to be on the highway a lot, so road manners should be decent (I used to drive a XJ w/ 33's). Usually going between NYC and VT. The wheeling that it will see will be light to say the least. I trailer a 20ft Grady White CC 3-4 times a season and will soon be trailering snowmoblies but not that far. I also don't see an ARB in the future but if so I'll buy the winch version but not put a winch in.
So my question is do I go with the medium lift springs or the heavy? I realize the truck will drive stiff regardless but thats what I'm looking for. I'm sick of the loose highway feel with the stock setup. I'm hope to call slee and place my order at the begining of next week.
Opinions or experiences word be a great help. Thanks

I run OME mediums and also run airbags in the rear for towing. (I tow a 5500# car trailer/FJ40...and already have over 8000 towing miles in 2005)

Works excellent, and still has a good ride (with a little weight in the back)..."minor" case of stink-bug, but nothing unacceptable.

Just got 285 Cepeks installed this morning, no road time yet....but the look is there :D

I am not an airbag on an 80 guy at all, but I do agree with Brian that using the truck as a tow vehicle and only light wheeling, the bags are the way to go. I would also run mediums in the rear with the bags. The heavies will be more harsh and will eventially sag under a heavy tow load. The bags will help the springs carry the load, and the medium springs will make it ride good.
Gary

For what it sounds like you want to do I would suggest medium. It will greatly tighten up the ride and deliver excellent light wheeling performance as well. Should make you very happy until.............................

heavy front/medium rear should sit level, and airbags would keep it leve l when towing...

I hate stinkbug.

How does the front end ride with the heavies? How bad is towing with just the mediums and no airbag?

towing with 500+ tongue weights and no bags would be interesting...it will depend on your tongue and trailer weight.

I never towed with just the mediums...did the bags right away. Air them to 22ish# and it's perfect.

I would go with the mediums and see how the boat tows. How much does it weigh?
I tow a 3500 lb boat long distances over mtn passes with the medium.
Sean

I tow a small trailer with OME mediums and it is fine without airbags.

I tow a 18' lund aluminum side console boat full of decoys or a popup trailer. I can't imagine a couple of sleds on a trailer or the boat weighs a ton more than either of those.

Not sure what a "big" boat or trailer would be like. That might drive you to airbags. Try the mediums and see how they do, you can always add airbags later.

BTW - the LC drinks fuel like it is going out of style when towing, and is a slow pig on hills, but the OME med springs are fine with it.

Charlie

The boat with trailer weighs in at about 4200lb and I think the tongue is 10% of that 420lb. I'm not doing any distances while trailering this boat.

LICruiser said:
How does the front end ride with the heavies? How bad is towing with just the mediums and no airbag?

The fronts are the same spring rate, the heavies are just one inch taller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom