So I'm presuming I need a new front driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The driveshaft is the same, the orientation (probably) had more to do with idiot proofing (the Japanese use the term "Poke-Yoke") the assembly line than the operation in the driveline. Speaking purely from personal experience.

They went from in-phase, which is how the rear drive shaft is oriented (and most in the world, as far as I'm aware), to out of phase. So they made it *more* complicated. The general consensus seems to be that they were trying to reduce drive line vibration.

I would love to have the chance to talk to a Toyota engineer about some of the decisions made on the 80. Mostly the radius arm front suspension and the fuel filter location...

They went from in-phase, which is how the rear drive shaft is oriented (and most in the world, as far as I'm aware), to out of phase. So they made it *more* complicated. The general consensus seems to be that they were trying to reduce drive line vibration.

I would love to have the chance to talk to a Toyota engineer about some of the decisions made on the 80. Mostly the radius arm front suspension and the fuel filter location...
Talk to them, or...

Sometimes it was just simply from trying it different ways to find out which worked best, if not perfect. Even after engineering, testing and trial and error is required with human subjectivity.

Pressed the bad ujoint out of the front drive shaft. Went to install new u joint cup into the yoke and it fell right through. Fits fine into the other 3 holes (i.e. tight, wouldn't go in w/o press) so it's obviously bad yoke.

Is soliciting here for someone's takeoff ok, otherwise, where might I find one? Can I buy just the driveshaft side of the yoke, or do I need the entire thing (are they balanced as a unit?)

Im getting rid of my old DS's as I got custom tom woods ones. The ujoints are pretty fresh but I can't vouch for the rest of the shaft, the slip joints are kinda worn. Hit my up with a PM if you are interested.

I'm starting to think I'm the only person that didn't have that bad of a time with the fuel filter. I mean it wasn't super easy, but I didn't really struggle either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom