So, I'm in need of a muffler....what are my options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welded up a pinhole in my Y-pipe earlier and when I stuck the shop vac in the tailpipe to check for leaks, I heard some hissing from the front of the muffler where the top of the pipe joins the face :hmm:

Started cleaning the spot with a wire brush with hopes that my tig torch could reach around the top and all of a sudden a burst of air blasts through the rusty face of the muffler :bang:

I tried tacking a large washer in place, but it's rusted pretty bad with not much to weld on :meh:

Anyhoo, what are my options?

I know OEM is pretty damn expensive :(

I tried NAPA, Advance and VatoZone, but none of them had one in stock, nor could they tell me if the replacement(s) actually came with provisions for the O2 sensor :confused:

I just wanna keep it as quiet as stock without killing performance :meh:

A new OEM Muffler/pipe section is $559.34 list price, $490 through most Toyota parts re-sellers including us.

I have a full stock exhaust exhaust off of a 97 that is in good shape if you need. It came off of a local customer's car that we put an EMSPowered exhaust on. Let me know if you need any parts of it, it all looks to be in pretty good condition.

Or you could do an EMSPowered exhaust ;)

A new OEM Muffler/pipe section is $559.34 list price, $490 through most Toyota parts re-sellers including us.

I have a full stock exhaust exhaust off of a 97 that is in good shape if you need. It came off of a local customer's car that we put an EMSPowered exhaust on. Let me know if you need any parts of it, it all looks to be in pretty good condition.

What's the turn around time on the aforementioned EMS exhaust?

You may want to check here:

rock auto.com

1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.5L 4477cc L6 MFI (J) [1FZFE] DOHC : Exhaust : Muffler Wiki Price
BOSAL Part # 228241 Rear silencer
From 01/95 $114.79

I just checked with my dealer and it's $407 for the muffler alone :eek:

Got any pics of the used setup you have?

You may want to check here:

rock auto.com

1997 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.5L 4477cc L6 MFI (J) [1FZFE] DOHC : Exhaust : Muffler Wiki Price
BOSAL Part # 228241 Rear silencer
From 01/95 $114.79

Thanx for the info :)

I asked one of my parts guys at NAPA about Bosal and he said they actually make the OEM exhaust systems :confused:

Is that true?

I also found this one on FleaBay for $99

NEW SILENT CENTER PREMIUM MUFFLER 95-97 LANDCRUISER | eBay

Anyone ever use one of these?

Why not just weld in a flowmaster, and dump it before the rear axle? I had one on my 3fe, and it sounded awesome, and not too loud. I'm about to put one on my 96.

I want it as quiet (or quieter) than OEM if possible :cool:

IMHO flowmasters sound like crap on anything but a V8. I dont know how people can drive around with the droan in the cab on the highway.

Dynomax super turbos or the summit racing turbo mufflers are affordable and quiet.

I had the whole exhaust system redone on my 92. Long story short the shop knew it was pricey and saved me money where they could. They used a standard Ford Pickup muffler from an F150 with a straight 6. $60 vice $500+ . Sounds fine fits perfectly.

IMHO flowmasters sound like crap on anything but a V8. I dont know how people can drive around with the droan in the cab on the highway.

We installed a Flowmaster on mine and the drone was BAD. We added a larger resonator to get sound under control. It is still louder than stock but it is bearable.

:cheers:

Please provide more info on a resonator if you can. I just replaced my exhaust with 2.5" stainless and a magnaflow muffler that I found recommendations on here for. The drone around 2200 RPM is terrible. I need to kill the sound badly. What I read on teh Magnaflow was that it was just about as quiet as stock but it surely isn't the way it is set up now.

Please provide more info on a resonator if you can. I just replaced my exhaust with 2.5" stainless and a magnaflow muffler that I found recommendations on here for. The drone around 2200 RPM is terrible. I need to kill the sound badly. What I read on teh Magnaflow was that it was just about as quiet as stock but it surely isn't the way it is set up now.

It sits after the muffler and before the exhaust tip. IIRC the stock one is @8-10". We cut that one off and went with one that maxed the space behind the bumper. Maybe 14"? Sorry the muffler shop did the work so I don't have the details. It may also be a glass pack but I am not sure. It really helped take the edge off!

HTH:cheers:

You can piece together the complete Bosal system for about $500 on partsgeek.com. That the y pipe, front cat, rear cat, muffler section, and tail pipe/resonator. And it's all OEM style bolt on...

From what the LS1Tech.com crowd, some have had good success with Dynomax mufflers. The larger the better.

It sits after the muffler and before the exhaust tip. IIRC the stock one is @8-10". We cut that one off and went with one that maxed the space behind the bumper. Maybe 14"? Sorry the muffler shop did the work so I don't have the details. It may also be a glass pack but I am not sure. It really helped take the edge off!

HTH:cheers:

I have a call into the exhaust shop that did the work. He's going to see what he can find. The stock one was rotted so it was pitched. How would a glass pack act as a resonator? Or, more precisely, how would a glasspack reduce drone?

Thanks!

I have a call into the exhaust shop that did the work. He's going to see what he can find. The stock one was rotted so it was pitched. How would a glass pack act as a resonator? Or, more precisely, how would a glasspack reduce drone?

Thanks!

My knowledge on the details ended when I wrote the check.;) Sorry I don't have more tech info.:doh:

I can tell you that the longer resonator is subject to trail damage when rock crawling.:whoops: Fortunately at the same time he did the work he routed the exhaust over the frame. That defenitely saved some serious trail carnage when we were wheeling.

:cheers:

OK, so I did a temp fix by covering up the rusty hole with muffler paste and it seems to be holding up quite well :hmm:

After some thinking, I rather not mess with the rusty bolts of the old system :meh:

So if/when she lets go again, I'll be ordering up a complete Bosal system from the y-pipe back :cool:

Can't justify spending $600 bucks on an OEM muffler, but for an entire system, I think I can manage as long as it's as quiet as stock :meh:

If your muffler is shot, don't get another OEM one. There's a big restriction where the two pipes join in the Y. If you cut your old one open, you'll see what I mean. Moving to an aftermarket 2.5" mandrel bent with headers gives some definite 'seat-o-pants' dyno HP.
Mine's Aussie made so no help to you, but a definite upgrade.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom