So I'm gonna buy some bumpers.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this had been discussed in a few spots, but I'm looking to buy some bumpers and need some opinions (don't want to go wrong when the shippping is so high).

1) Do Slee's and the Kaymar HAVE to relocate the spare tire? I know its best for offroading, but my wife wants me to limit the "expeditionary look" of the thing. (wait till she sees the roof rack :D )

2) Depending on the answer to 1, I suppose the tire carrier isn't priced separate like the TJM?

3) Looking for a front too, I have a Warn 9.5ti. Would anyone mind posting pics of their vehicles with front and/or rear?

4) If I want to have it custom painted, how does it hold up if it was previously powder coated? I think Slee's color would match pretty well already.

Thanks in advance - like I said, its a big decision, don't want to make the wrong one.

Oh, I have an 06, so pics of bumpers that would be compatible (03+, if I'm right, right?) would be appreciated.

I just got my TJM Classique T3 on my '99 and really like it (from Slee). It is designed for a 9K winch...I don't think there is enough room there for a 10Klb+ winch. I would imagine Christo would sell you a rear bumper sans the tire carrier...don't know but you should ask him. However if you are going to wheel it off-road getting the tire from underneath saves wear/tear on it when bottoming out on those deep ruts. Maybe you could get one of those vinyl covers for the spare to appease her :grinpimp:

spressomon said:
I just got my TJM Classique T3 on my '99 and really like it (from Slee). It is designed for a 9K winch...I don't think there is enough room there for a 10Klb+ winch. I would imagine Christo would sell you a rear bumper sans the tire carrier...don't know but you should ask him. However if you are going to wheel it off-road getting the tire from underneath saves wear/tear on it when bottoming out on those deep ruts. Maybe you could get one of those vinyl covers for the spare to appease her :grinpimp:

I also have a T3 TJM Classique on my 2005 LC in color coded steel and I think it looks terrific.

I was told that a 10,000lb warn winch would have no problem fitting in there, but as I have no intentions at this stage in fitting a winch, I don't think I listened carefully enough, so I may be wrong...
T3.jpg

ndcruiser said:
....my wife wants me to limit the "expeditionary look" of the thing.

Just cover the wheel with two five gallon Nato fuel cans and a highlift jack and she'll never notice the relocated tire. :D

I also had some similar questions for my `04. Here's what I'm thinking as of today, 8/7/2005:

1.) I'm not sure about Slee, but don't think so (in fact, one of the pics on his Website shows it with the spare in place). Kaymar may, due to the integral tow hitch. Well, a stock size tire may fit, but not sure about a 33. I know a 33" tire did NOT fit on the Kaymar for my 80. I am planning on the TJM, and will run the spare under the truck until it's time to go wheeling/camping, at which point part of my trip preparations will be bolting on the spare tire carrier and moving the spare out from underneath.

2.) Only on Kaymar AFAIK, and maybe ARB's new bumper.

3.) Can't help you here (yet...).

4.) The powder coating is a good protective finish. I think most people painting their bumpers just do a light bead blasting so the new paint will adhere, but do not fully remove the powder. I like black bumpers, and my ARB and others like TJM already come in black, so I'm good. No :princess: color-matching for me, even on a $65K vehicle!

Slee will have to speak for himself. He told me the 35 would still fit underneath as I had it before his bumper was added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom