So I took a little trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBruce

SILVER Star
Threads
Got home yesterday after going to the Arctic Ocean. It was a fun trip and I am glad I did, but next time I will go with people who like to camp and take it a little easier. It was great to go where I could drive to the Arctic and put my toes in it. The GX470 did great, but I have come to realize that it might not be the right truck for me. Sorry I didn't post here also, but I hope you guys like the pictures.
hope get the farthest north for a GX470

Got home yesterday after going to the Arctic Ocean. It was a fun trip and I am glad I did, but next time I will go with people who like to camp and take it a little easier. It was great to go where I could drive to the Arctic and put my toes in it. The GX470 did great, but I have come to realize that it might not be the right truck for me. Sorry I didn't post here also, but I hope you guys like the pictures.
hope get the farthest north for a GX470
That look like an awesome trip, that I hope to do as well in a few years.

Planning on going back in 4-5 years

Epic!! Thank you for sharing the experience!

Sounds like it was a great trip - thanks for sharing the info.

I was curious when you said the GX 470 did great, but that it may not be the right truck for you. What were the shortcomings and what vehicle would do better for you? I know you had the problem with the A/C, but that could likely happen on anything.

the A/C problem was because of the new bumper, and the line rubbing in a spot, my fault, and yes just a part of the trip.

Being retired and wanting to travel each summer, some more long trips (repeat of this one and Deadhorse added to it and Goosebay Labrador) and I hope 2-4 shorter ones each year, I just cant live with the 13.5mpg I got and I think I can expect gas prices to increase over the next 10-20 years. Now some of that is the weight I have on the GX470, so I will play with that and some of it is the way the GX moves air in the back, it hits the front of the trailer and cause a big drag. I am going to look at ways to modify the trailer so the air flows better. My 2013 JKUR, pulling the trailer, different box (5" shorter) and a little less weight (200lbs?)did around 16.5MPG for almost the same trip. My friend with a new JLUR pulling a teardrop did about 18mpg and a full loaded LX470 with a RTT did about 11.5mpg.

The other problem is the right front seat, its not the best for someone over 6' tall. After 3-4 hours, it becomes uncomfortable. Short people didn't seem to have a problem with the seat. This would be a little harder to fix, I think.

Over all the GX470 is a great truck, right now, I just dont believe its the one I want. Thinking maybe a new Tacoma in a few years. I do want to play a little more with the weight of the GX, a friend is bring his car scales over so that we can do some measurements and testing. So not really the GX problems, more what I want and my fit.

I also like the Cooper ST MAXX tires

Last edited:
I am also selling the tent off after I clean it. This would be a great hunting tent or if you stay in one place for a few days or more, but not my type of traveling

For everyone who question using HAM radios, when we left Eagle Plains YT head to Dawson City, YT, one of the guys on the trip Chris took off before we did when the road opened up. At one point he was about 20-25 kilometer ahead of me and when we turned up the power to 25w, we could talk and it was as clear as being next to each other. I am sold on HAM radios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom