So I removed my factory steps to install the new ARB "deluxe protection steps".. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
only to find out that the AHC actuator thingies got in the way of the rear steps bracket.. oh well.. I kind-off like the look of my rig without the steps.. loading the roof rack now is going to be a huge pain :eek:

does anybody know if ARB make brackets for AHC equipped LCs/LXs?
the ARB agent here had no idea and he's waiting for a reply from ARB Australia on this issue..

no-step.jpg

How about spme pics of those things. Thanks.

Slee just finished producing their LX step sliders though I think shipping would make them cost prohibitive. How about modifying/welding your ARB to fit?

@hkeller
"those things" you want pics of are the steps or the actuator thingies?
it's a bit rainy now.. I'll try to snap some pics once it dries up..

@hoser
I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer about this.. if moding the steps is reasonable and I can remove them in the future I'll probably go for it.. if not, I'll consider slee sliders although they are a bit overkill for my needs.. not much rocks over here :)

I've recently ordered some heavy items from the states.. one package was over 70KGs (about 150lbs).. the price of express shipping through UPS was a little on the high side but still reasonable.. I've also found that sky-cargo.com is very reasonable for international orders.. I've used them to ship my roof rack and drawers form South Africa.. I had to clear the items from customs myself though..

I think the Slee step sliders are around the 150 lbs. mark. I can't remember exactly, but I think you would be safe considering that much weight when considering your shipping options. I'll go pull the receipt and see if it had an actual weight listed.

How about a pic of the ARB steps ? Dont you think they are strong enough to hold the entire weight of your LX ?
Just curious because I am looking at different rails/sliders for my own rig.

Siglo,
I checked my original shipping invoice from Slee and it has it marked as 250 lbs. for the sliders and my OME suspension w/ diff drop. I still think its probably around 150 lbs. if you want to look at shipping rates. I highly recommend the Slee sliders; I have been very happy with mine. Good luck to you.

jsnow said:
Any ARB dealer in the western hemisphere can order the ARB side steps!

Jon

The question is...how long will it take to get ? !! :rolleyes:

@Greg B

Thanks for the info :)

I've been planning on getting Slee's diff drop kit as well but it seems that they are out of stock.. if the ARB steps doesn't work out for me, I'll probably order Slee's with the diff drop kit once they are available..

Siglo--if you decide to get the Slee stuff, it's best you contact them and have them put you on the waiting list. Last time I heard, both were in stock.

SINCITY100 said:
The question is...how long will it take to get ? !! :rolleyes:

3 months to LA is what it took for a Kaymar bumper ordered by MAF but not in stock. Just my luck, the LA harbor dock workers strike started right about when the bumper was to arrive, so it sat on a freighter anchored off LA harbor and within view of my apt! So close, yet so far...

jsnow said:
Any ARB dealer in the western hemisphere can order the ARB side steps!
Ah, right you are. So, I'm wondering why nobody is using the ARB sliders? I did a search and I found one reference where George cuts up the sliders and recycles them into something more useful.:idea:

http://www.george4wd.taskled.com/arb.html

"I originally mounted a set of ARB siderails/steps but was disappointed by their relative weakness. ARB uses only 2 long outriggers from the chassis combined with 1 1/2 inch thin wall (in my opinion) round pipe. The wall thickness of the pipe is further compromised by the bends that are used to form the shape. Cutting the pipe at the bends showed considerable thinning (due to stretching). In addition the outriggers only support the rear and middle of the siderail. The entire front section of the siderail relies on the middle support and the connection to the ARB bullbar. Having seen a picture of a TLC on the rubicon with ARB siderails further convinced me that they are not likely to offer any real protection in case of sliding over a rock. The ARB siderails are just fine if all you require is a sturdy step and modest rocker protection from sticks etc."

I was always told that the ARB steps were just that, "STEPS". They are not rock sliders nor were they intended to be. I wouldn't buy the ARB's expecting to bash them on rocks and hope they hold up. Someone earlier mentioned that the needs in OZ don't require such tough rocker protection as the rock crawling crowd in the States.

hoser said:
True but from their ad, you'd think the steps were heavy duty. They show the vehicles going over large rocks and downed trees.

http://arb.com.au/side_rails.htm

Oh, I completely agree with you. I think it's pretty sad that they market those steps the way they do. I'm just glad their bumpers are as strong as advertised and not weak like their side steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom