So... I love my Fj40 but why I trying so hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your engine placement isn't too far forward at all. It's right where it should be. Run it.

This thread surprised me! It took so long for someone to ask for pictures! How about some more pics so we can see what else is just fine.

Get it running and have fun. It sounds to me like it already has the goods for what it sounds like you will put it through. Fix the critical things that make it go and stop reliably.

If I could go back in time, I would've built up some rocker protection for the boulder crawling that I did. With the stock 3speed drivetrain and 33's w/4.11's mine did OK. But I did go through a couple clutches.

If the 40 series platform just won't work for your priorities then sell it and cut your losses. I like the nostalgia of my 40, but my 80 is much better at everything. (Except oil changes, 40 is much easier). But I could never sell my 40, my kids have already put in dibs on it when I die.

Very long post very long post ahead

Get your hot cocoa ready and put up your feet..: and my images I have up are in my media are under loosechange

Base 1972 Toyota FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser (April 1972) Frame, clip and body matching numbers

try to do 1 thing a week will take way up to multiple years to complete. go through priorities then recall time
(?) means not a priority
clean out rear end and move front end into the living room as well as tranny

1. *** Redo Steering stabilizer mount— install inside of leaf spring area not in between. Refer to picture
2. repair crack on top of fender well by roll cage (?)
3. want to have h4 lights (?)
4. *** home depot to get equips to custom make a ghetto roof rack tire carrier…Done

Using garvin industries roof rack and floor with a spare tire carrier up top

5. *** NEED to repair existing seat or repair the new front driver seat (?)
6. sell front split and drivers as well as can for emission in the front split….find metal rear panel and reinstall (?)
7. want grab handle over glove box (?)
8. *** Need door limiter straps (passenger door non operative) (?)
9. *** want swing away carrier (?)
10. *** want/ need ’76 bumper and taillights to work this set up for swing away (?)
11. *** Drive shaft mounted for roof rack —done (?)
12. *** Need new front drive shaft due to small twist in shaft !!! get back from desert tools but check if engine is too far forward since drive shaft u-joint area is squished... picture soon maybe tonight
13. *** want speedo to work/ cable seems to work (?) but maybe gear in tranny bad
14. *** want front ford shock towers
15. *** want to mount fender turn signal have rubber grommets to install xenon flashers -done with small hole in fender flasher and bulb now(?)
16. *** 4 speed with an Orion
17. *** want to buy rack and lockdown bar for oils -done , I’m using Ammo cans straps bolted to roof rack
18. *** Install the rear holder for jerry cans/igloo/yeti etc (?)
19. *** need Axle wrap bar from Desert tools _dont need due to having SUA but i really wanted t for looks and fabwork anyway(?)
20. *** need to fix leaking fuel line at pump-done
21. *** find a new place to mount fuel pump and filter-done (40Micron)
22. *** Need wire for glove box (?)
23. *** original Front wing windows need newer gasket around them (?)
24. *** Need swing away carrier already stated above (?)
25. *** need to redo exhaust with new collector bolts and gaskets-done
26. *** need to hook up electrical to washer bottle-done,
27. *** need to loom wiring-somewhat done but still ghetto
28. *** re-mount fire ext. even if on
Ehis empty- bought new (3 of them) but saving 200.00 more bucks for a COLD FIRE system
29. *** Doors need new gasket around edge. (?)
30. *** Install Switch box- rebuilt with Marine switch box relay breakers and blue sea fuse block
31. *** fabricate Switch box holder
32. *** Need Rear 2lbs residual valve..-maybe i don’t know yet
33. *** want pass door to moderately work if possible, the Passenger does not mate. Re-drill hinge holes to work I guess (?)
34. *** want a good torque bar to rear end by ‘desert tools of az’ REFER to axle wrap earlier in post (?)
35. *** want front pig cover protection bash plate maybe even (?)
36. *** want pinion protection (?)
37. *** Need 6 gallon blue water jerry can
38. *** Trans adapt oil filter relocation kit not installed yet
39. *** Derale Duel row oil cooler with fan -Done
40. *** Hitorque 4.2 HP small starter, installed but dopnt know if it works yet cranking engine or needs shimmed
41. *** 16 gauge cut heat shield for starter butdon’t know if shimmed properly
42. *** PPI External starter solenoid (not in use)
43. *** weld shock mounts onto Conn-Ferr leaf spring skid plates-not needed , Shock mounts are now above leaf spring on rear end
44. *** mount conn-ferr skids to rear leafs once shock mounts are welded on- shock mounts not needed on skids
45. *** mount large compressor beind rear jumps on- have the 20007 system but no where yet to install
46. *** need HD rear pig cover gasket
47. *** need the bolt for fill plug rear cover-done
48. *** need rear pig fluid for locker-done
49. *** re-do exhaust so cross under is closer to leaf spring hanger
50. *** purchase another ear for front bumper mount CB ant.
51. *** Skids and Plates tranny and engine oil pan (?)
52. *** sliders online will I need to change exhaust??? (?)
53. *** mount my belleview/warn winch and roller fairlead. sandwich the plate for fairlead between bumber ….refer to hand drawn pic
54. *** hang 2.5g air tank under vehicle in front of fuel tank area and up high
55. *** re-install temp gauge and volt meter-done
56. *** adjust carb from loading up at idle…use vacuum gauge for reading at idle and adjustments at idle
57. *** remove tank skid to reinstall pintle
58. *** install rest of SOR roll cage…keep dash pad even if I have to use a heated wire to cut the foam out
59. *** fix leak at pump when Im changing the hose-done
60. *** need compression ring for front arb line ( cut line and take piece to four wheelers)
61. *** buy Logic probe 3
62. *** try to find 4.7 caddy air cleaner and MAKE it work for my air cleaner… i don’t want just a k&n pre cleaner installed
63. *** find a place to mount oil cooler with 650 com fan…not under seat. I could mount it on roof rack hide the aircraft line (#8 hoses hidden in large electrical tubing) ?
64. *** Do i want to re-mount the tank under front seat and have to go through the process of fabing a tube for gas.
65. *** if I mount tank make sure to use the manual fuel tank switching switch (refer to image)
66. *** find a place to mount the relocated oil filter transept -done
67. *** mount RCI puke can
68. *** install some sort of lights to see under hood
69. *** fix exhaust leak, need vehicle running first which means I need to hook up battery and test the starter is shimmed right to flywheel
70. *** time engine better. Why is the MARK so far off, use white out to make new timing mark.

clean out radiator.
71. *** hook up window washer bottle again and hose??
72. *** purchase 2lbs residual wildwood brakes valve already stated
73. *** re-purchase up to date front disk brake conversation from Man a Fre -the ones on truck are old school and now old 2 piston wilwoods
74. *** light bulb for interior light
75. *** hook up power wire for interior light
76. *** make sure DS wiper motor switch works
77. *** want rock sliders and skids and weld work on front pig
78. *** original Front wing windows need newer gasket around them
79. *** want to Buy “cold fire” system or SAR Aquas system
80. *** Need to reinstall trailer hitch electrical socket
81. *** need extended breather hose for tranny and transfer with small air filter at end
82. *** Might need new Chevy power steering pump
83. *** want another battery-done i now have a yellow top and red top
84. *** need PPI painless wiring mastermind isolator kit-Done but not PPI I got hell roaring technologies 95300B iso

85. *** Install disk brakes onto rear end while in living room
86. *** take pig and locker to 4 Wheelers to install
87. *** put pig back into the rear end
88. *** mount rear end to vehicle after removing 1968 rear end—done
89. *** have rear 68 pig put back together and remount into rear end-Salvaged and stripped

I want skids, protection, rockers, i have no undercarriage protect. d0 I need it with just doing back country an lake stuff through washes and up berms etc.

complete spare front axle assembly with all parts still put together =driveline in back of bed

complete rear assembly for disks and reinstall locker

two extra rear axles for a 72. long and short

heavy duty teflon lined AN brake lines =brakes-done

bungies for front brake line for articulation ( keep them from twisting up) =driveline/brakes

custom made front drive shaft =driveline/trans

I Have another front windshield gasket.

have vacuum actuated transfer I need to sell =driveline/trans..want to mount my manual actuated transfer onto the newer(nos) transmission before they put it in

Autometer mini sport tach =monitoring-done

RPM Fabrication work - Gusseted frame at front =fabwork-done

Steering collar by RPM Fabrications =fabwork-done

Re-Worked shackles by RPM Fabrications =suspension/fabwork-done

have 5 gallon katydyn water bag-done

350 Chevy conversion with shaved heads (245ft/lbs @ 2500rpm-80,000 miles on motor since rebuild) =motor

HEI Distributor =motor

New Toyota window regulators/cranks NOS

Aftermarket ignition switch from AutoZone (have original but needs a key made) =electrical

got rid of the aftermarket and purchased an NOS ignition switch

New wiper Switch NOS. needs hooked up to motor (have 1968 windshield frame not 1972 so it has 2 individual motors…I have a red cap switch operating drivers side motor i have two more wiper motors with wiring but don’t know if they are synced

XRP/Earls #8 aircraft hose and AN fitting for oil filter relocation (not installed yet) =oil/lubes

Partial electrical wiring looming =electrical

10 fuse gang block, ten waterproof switches with breakers, 10 – 30 amp relay =electrical

Dbl Header gaskets by Edelbrock =motor

High heat blanket for starter =motor

Dodge Diesel Battery #2ga insolated cable starter wire =electrical/motor

Block hugger headers corvette style =exhaust/motor

2-40 series dueled flowmaster mufflers=exhaust

120 amp Hitachi one wire alternator internal regulator =motor/electric

removed Hitachi and now running a Powermaster 3/1 wire tested at idle 104 amps, cruise at 145 amps and WOT 165 amp and at 14.6 built 6/5/17

#2ga alternator wire =electrical

Phoenix gold negative battery clamp =electrical

Front wheel two piston wilwood disk brake conversion =brakes

Wilwood 2lbs front brake residual valve =brakes

Front DBA Gold slotted drilled and chamfered rotors =brakes

Rear DBA Gold slotted drilled and chamfered rotors =brakes

Windshield wipers NOS

Man a Fre rear single piston disk brake conversion =brakes

Original dual reservoir brake cylinder =brakes

Baer rear wheel brake adjustable proportioning valve =brakes

blue torch fabrication off road Heavy duty rear diff cover =differential

8.8 metric rear end carrier studs =diferentail

New nos hood hold downs and hood rubber for clip

Have front grill hinge but no way to install.

New nos rear hatch handle Exterior and interior I just bought

Working hatch rods for rear hatch

Working dbl rear swing doors

Rear LED reverse light =electrical/lighting

10 flange wip nuts

Ballistic fabrications Dual Battery box not installed and need =electrical/battery

Yellow top Optima battery =electrical/battery

Redtop Optima for backup starting battery

Extended #6 aircraft line/breather for valve cover-pac

Auto-meter electrical volts and Water temp sending unit

New external electrical switch box with:

“6-waterproof 20amp 1.5 hp toggle switches and waterproof covers, 6-breakers, 10 gang fuse block with common positive and 6-30 amp 4 pin relays, main power in 140 amp phoenix gold breaker” for Fuel pump, MSD main, Msd distributor, Elec rad fan, elec oil cooler fan, purge pump for inner water bilge for fording.

2-75 amp sollniods PPI one for relay to starter one and one for winch. not using for starter.

4400 FlowJet purge pump for use for after fording, use as a pump or siphon water from places for hand washing etc. or to siphon fuel etc

3” snorkel system of main pvc induction for external air cooler to carb (not for water fording per se, but cooler air and or limiter dust etc.

K&N air cleaner

SOR front Roll cage kit (not installed)

Aftermarket rear roll bar kit by Smitty-built

Rear roll bar pad

Three abc fire extinguishers inspected and test 2015

rear clevis

have large camping waterproof quartermaster bag for roof rack

Cats Eyes rear corner lights flood

KC rear middle Spot

two Nite rider 30w for back up spot

Switch for back up light Nite rider lights separate from tranny backup light switch

Hella 300AMP emergency cut off switch

Uniden 78elite CB

5ft Wilson silver load CB antenna

Cb antenna quick disconnect

Incline /Tilt Guage (NOT JDM) sold that one for 150.00 it was for a RHD and i didn’t want to have it shimmed

3 ft secondary firestick CB antenna

Large Autometer Sport comp tach……need to test

Autometer Sport comp mini tachometer

Hi lift, shovel, pro-comp strap, recovery equip.

Hi lift jack mount garvin wilderness

Upper spare tire mount to roof rack

Misc ammo cans for oil, tools, belts, hoses, fitting etc.

RCI puke can (overflow bottle)

Rancho 5000 rear shocks

Rancho 5000 steering stabilizer

Rancho RSX front shocks

Warn locking hubs extra, warn premium locking hubs extra, Selectro hubs being used..these are the ones before mile marker bought them out.

6 red saftety switches for all offroad lights, spots floods and rock, 6 fusable links and relays.: 1 road 5”rear offroad spots, 2 rear off road corner roof rack floods, 2 roof 30w lights rear backups, 2 rock lights, 2 upper roof rack front KCs, 2 bumper floods front but going to be pointed sideway to see what the heck out to the sides when in the washes

Flow Kooler shortneck water pump

185* Flow Kooler thermostat

Edelbrock 1406 Carberator

Edelbrock aluminum manifold

new airquipt manifold heater hose line with removable filter (scale and nasty from anything that been sitting in the core for so long

MSD 6AL

MSD Sparkplug cables 8.5mm

MSD External REV limiter dial

MSD Blaster coil

Ron Davis Radiator

Black Magic Extreme 3300CFM electric fan with built in radiator shroud (mechanical on/off relay switch inside, but controlled by temperature of radiator maradyne switch in manifold

Rebuilt entire front axle end, bearing, wipes, races, etc. all re-done new hubs held on with studs not bolts

Locking hubs with lacing bolts - need lacing wire)

ARB air pump

ARB front Locker

Rear Rebuilt full Detroit locker

Duel rear shock mounts already available... although skids are on I saved original bolt plates with the shock mount studs on them

Viair 400c pump

Firestone 2.5 gallon air tank for tires and or other apps

Viair small pump for airhorns

Haldley 130dB dual air-horn switch pull strap accuated

Viair 1 gallon air tank

Have rear and front limiter straps (not installed, will need rear ears welded to install rear straps)

4 conn-fear Leaf spring skid plates installed)

Extra Conn Ferr extended dog bones for leafs not using yet. Just extras

2-1/2” Dog bone lift

Advanced Handling Systems front end shackle kit (Needs reverse)

Super Duty front bull bar with D RINGS

Bellvue 8000 winch ( bought out by WARN-this is Identical to the 8274 winch)

External breather tubes for Axles and fuel tank

B&M Super cooler for power steering installed

Saginaw steering conversion RPM fab installed

Aircraft type line Teflon interior high pressure power steering line

High pressure Earls low pressure side power steering hose

Downey 350 to 3 speed transmission conversion housing

Centerforce Clutch

Original mechanical 3 speed transfer case with hose from transfer drain to tranny fill.. I bought a new seal
So far now it’s been using a
Transfer case/ tranny connection hose

(Original ammeter doesn’t work in cosule, however the fuel gauge does)

Radio delete cover is actually a volt meter and water temp gauge area

Galvin wilderness roof rack

Galvin wilderness full length flooring

front KC daylighters off road spots

front off road lights floods

5 MB Motoring aluminum rims

5 Bf Goodrich ALL TERRAINS Ko 35 x12.5 x15- actually 4 with one dick Cepek

Windshield is from a 68, using the 2 wiper motor setup. I use one wiper motor wired up to a switch at visor, since I haven’t tried to install both to see if they are timed

I HAVE 4 wiper motors, they work and run and are about 120.00 bucks ea online when you can find them

Rear Northwest metal productsindustries 22 gallon tank

Northwest metal industries skid plate

Extended breather for rear tank as stated above

Extender breather rear axle tube as stated above

extender breather front axle tube

Original JDM front tank 16 gallon Needs reinstalled I suggest RCI fuel cell and a Secondary tank switch)

Holly blue electrical pump (mounted to rear frame by cell, you may want to mount it somewhere else

Holly external fuel regulator-set at 6lbs.

#6 xrp fuel line from pump top carb

Oil can 40 micron filter by pump. (extra filter is in storage box under front seat)

I have an extra edlebrock rpm carb 800 cfm 1910 series

Led rear back up light

Led license plate light

Safety orbital leds tipped on cb antenna(looking for RED)

GPS GARMIN Oregon 550t (on my person)

Garmin 18 external GPS Antenna.. this GARMIN magnetic mount antenna won’t mount to roof because my roof is factory fiberglass…so its mounted on the hood

Aces Netbook for garmin 18 have code for GPS Software but need laptop mount)

GPS GARMIN eMAP (extra in glovebox for passenger for hiking)

Dual cigetter light power box

3-5 gallon jerry gas cans

Cig lighter 120v invertor

Flashlight mount on tranny hump for MAGlite

Rifle scabbard can fit on roll bar between seats

have Extra orange and red side markers lenses and mountings

have Extra fender turn signals

Gropro camera mounts and
3 gopro hero cameras (older model)but not the 3d capable kind

Two extra drive shafts with loops to hold t rool cage

Interior dome LED

Under hood leds for working on truck-soon

thats just the stuff i remember

I've lost track of how many times I started over, or changed my mind about what my end game was. I've even reached my objectives a couple of times. I'm now starting to make my 40 a little more road friendly. I had a blast "crawling" I'm sure I'll still be doing my fair share of it but times change and It's not a bad thing changing direction with the times.
I'm still having fun. When the fun stops it will be time to get it (my 40) into someone elses hands so they can start over again.

Good luck, just have fun.

Well for me I wanted someone to say

Hey that’s a really good idea I’m going to try that out.

Well see it’s still an ongoing project

I think I know what I need to do now. Thanks for putting me back on the right track and I used to be on. And I will keep you up today and a few pictures

Very long post very long post ahead....
....Tha'ts just the stuff i remember
I believe I see your problem.... Too many things in that list. Parse it down into vehicle systems. Then, parse that list down into components. Then attack...

It's good to have a 'to do' list. I use them frequently to keep myself on track. But big lists, cause as much anxiety, as satisfaction.

I started with this in 1996:

BeforePic.jpg

After 20 years (and lots of blood, swearing, anxiety, money...) ended up with this:

20161006_160339.jpg

There are still, a few dozen 'little things' to do on it. And a few 'wish list' items yet to be accomplished. Working on old junk is a passion, sometimes it wavers and needs to be re-lit.

Sorry about photobombing your Toyota thread with my CJ.

Loosechange ... Just my 2 cents but personally if you want to do this properly I'd tear the ENTIRE truck down to the last nut and bolt.
Tag everything in bags and start from ground zero ... in the end the truck will be 1000x better and I believe may take less time in the long run

Been here and done (doing) this ... and you'll regret later not doing it this way, will save a TON of headaches

Cheers
Steve

Loosechange ... Just my 2 cents but personally if you want to do this properly I'd tear the ENTIRE truck down to the last nut and bolt.
Tag everything in bags and start from ground zero ...
Yeah, after looking at his list, that was my though too.

Storage bins. Get lots and lots of storage bins.... Oh, and take a lot of pics, sorted into separate E-folders. More is better than less. When I started mine, digital cameras were prohibitively expensive. A lot of my early pics are 'old school' film.

Tag everything in bags and start from ground zero ... in the end the truck will be 1000x better and I believe may take less time in the long run

Been here and done (doing) this ... and you'll regret later not doing it this way, will save a TON of headaches

Cheers
Steve

The original poster is working in a carport at an apartment complex. Not exactly friendly to a frame off rebuild!

Holy sh*t this post needs chapters.

Seriously though you should break this into a must have and should have and nice to have. Items that affect safety and drivability are must haves, things that make it function like it should but not related to drivability next, then cosmetic and things you just want to have. Don't get hung up on looking at the whole list just focus on what's next and keep plugging away.

Very long post very long post ahead

Get your hot cocoa ready and put up your feet..: and my images I have up are in my media are under loosechange

Base 1972 Toyota FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser (April 1972) Frame, clip and body matching numbers

try to do 1 thing a week will take way up to multiple years to complete. go through priorities then recall time
(?) means not a priority
clean out rear end and move front end into the living room as well as tranny

1. *** Redo Steering stabilizer mount— install inside of leaf spring area not in between. Refer to picture
2. repair crack on top of fender well by roll cage (?)
3. want to have h4 lights (?)
4. *** home depot to get equips to custom make a ghetto roof rack tire carrier…Done

Using garvin industries roof rack and floor with a spare tire carrier up top

5. *** NEED to repair existing seat or repair the new front driver seat (?)
6. sell front split and drivers as well as can for emission in the front split….find metal rear panel and reinstall (?)
7. want grab handle over glove box (?)
8. *** Need door limiter straps (passenger door non operative) (?)
9. *** want swing away carrier (?)
10. *** want/ need ’76 bumper and taillights to work this set up for swing away (?)
11. *** Drive shaft mounted for roof rack —done (?)
12. *** Need new front drive shaft due to small twist in shaft !!! get back from desert tools but check if engine is too far forward since drive shaft u-joint area is squished... picture soon maybe tonight
13. *** want speedo to work/ cable seems to work (?) but maybe gear in tranny bad
14. *** want front ford shock towers
15. *** want to mount fender turn signal have rubber grommets to install xenon flashers -done with small hole in fender flasher and bulb now(?)
16. *** 4 speed with an Orion
17. *** want to buy rack and lockdown bar for oils -done , I’m using Ammo cans straps bolted to roof rack
18. *** Install the rear holder for jerry cans/igloo/yeti etc (?)
19. *** need Axle wrap bar from Desert tools _dont need due to having SUA but i really wanted t for looks and fabwork anyway(?)
20. *** need to fix leaking fuel line at pump-done
21. *** find a new place to mount fuel pump and filter-done (40Micron)
22. *** Need wire for glove box (?)
23. *** original Front wing windows need newer gasket around them (?)
24. *** Need swing away carrier already stated above (?)
25. *** need to redo exhaust with new collector bolts and gaskets-done
26. *** need to hook up electrical to washer bottle-done,
27. *** need to loom wiring-somewhat done but still ghetto
28. *** re-mount fire ext. even if on
Ehis empty- bought new (3 of them) but saving 200.00 more bucks for a COLD FIRE system
29. *** Doors need new gasket around edge. (?)
30. *** Install Switch box- rebuilt with Marine switch box relay breakers and blue sea fuse block
31. *** fabricate Switch box holder
32. *** Need Rear 2lbs residual valve..-maybe i don’t know yet
33. *** want pass door to moderately work if possible, the Passenger does not mate. Re-drill hinge holes to work I guess (?)
34. *** want a good torque bar to rear end by ‘desert tools of az’ REFER to axle wrap earlier in post (?)
35. *** want front pig cover protection bash plate maybe even (?)
36. *** want pinion protection (?)
37. *** Need 6 gallon blue water jerry can
38. *** Trans adapt oil filter relocation kit not installed yet
39. *** Derale Duel row oil cooler with fan -Done
40. *** Hitorque 4.2 HP small starter, installed but dopnt know if it works yet cranking engine or needs shimmed
41. *** 16 gauge cut heat shield for starter butdon’t know if shimmed properly
42. *** PPI External starter solenoid (not in use)
43. *** weld shock mounts onto Conn-Ferr leaf spring skid plates-not needed , Shock mounts are now above leaf spring on rear end
44. *** mount conn-ferr skids to rear leafs once shock mounts are welded on- shock mounts not needed on skids
45. *** mount large compressor beind rear jumps on- have the 20007 system but no where yet to install
46. *** need HD rear pig cover gasket
47. *** need the bolt for fill plug rear cover-done
48. *** need rear pig fluid for locker-done
49. *** re-do exhaust so cross under is closer to leaf spring hanger
50. *** purchase another ear for front bumper mount CB ant.
51. *** Skids and Plates tranny and engine oil pan (?)
52. *** sliders online will I need to change exhaust??? (?)
53. *** mount my belleview/warn winch and roller fairlead. sandwich the plate for fairlead between bumber ….refer to hand drawn pic
54. *** hang 2.5g air tank under vehicle in front of fuel tank area and up high
55. *** re-install temp gauge and volt meter-done
56. *** adjust carb from loading up at idle…use vacuum gauge for reading at idle and adjustments at idle
57. *** remove tank skid to reinstall pintle
58. *** install rest of SOR roll cage…keep dash pad even if I have to use a heated wire to cut the foam out
59. *** fix leak at pump when Im changing the hose-done
60. *** need compression ring for front arb line ( cut line and take piece to four wheelers)
61. *** buy Logic probe 3
62. *** try to find 4.7 caddy air cleaner and MAKE it work for my air cleaner… i don’t want just a k&n pre cleaner installed
63. *** find a place to mount oil cooler with 650 com fan…not under seat. I could mount it on roof rack hide the aircraft line (#8 hoses hidden in large electrical tubing) ?
64. *** Do i want to re-mount the tank under front seat and have to go through the process of fabing a tube for gas.
65. *** if I mount tank make sure to use the manual fuel tank switching switch (refer to image)
66. *** find a place to mount the relocated oil filter transept -done
67. *** mount RCI puke can
68. *** install some sort of lights to see under hood
69. *** fix exhaust leak, need vehicle running first which means I need to hook up battery and test the starter is shimmed right to flywheel
70. *** time engine better. Why is the MARK so far off, use white out to make new timing mark.

clean out radiator.
71. *** hook up window washer bottle again and hose??
72. *** purchase 2lbs residual wildwood brakes valve already stated
73. *** re-purchase up to date front disk brake conversation from Man a Fre -the ones on truck are old school and now old 2 piston wilwoods
74. *** light bulb for interior light
75. *** hook up power wire for interior light
76. *** make sure DS wiper motor switch works
77. *** want rock sliders and skids and weld work on front pig
78. *** original Front wing windows need newer gasket around them
79. *** want to Buy “cold fire” system or SAR Aquas system
80. *** Need to reinstall trailer hitch electrical socket
81. *** need extended breather hose for tranny and transfer with small air filter at end
82. *** Might need new Chevy power steering pump
83. *** want another battery-done i now have a yellow top and red top
84. *** need PPI painless wiring mastermind isolator kit-Done but not PPI I got hell roaring technologies 95300B iso

85. *** Install disk brakes onto rear end while in living room
86. *** take pig and locker to 4 Wheelers to install
87. *** put pig back into the rear end
88. *** mount rear end to vehicle after removing 1968 rear end—done
89. *** have rear 68 pig put back together and remount into rear end-Salvaged and stripped

I want skids, protection, rockers, i have no undercarriage protect. d0 I need it with just doing back country an lake stuff through washes and up berms etc.

complete spare front axle assembly with all parts still put together =driveline in back of bed

complete rear assembly for disks and reinstall locker

two extra rear axles for a 72. long and short

heavy duty teflon lined AN brake lines =brakes-done

bungies for front brake line for articulation ( keep them from twisting up) =driveline/brakes

custom made front drive shaft =driveline/trans

I Have another front windshield gasket.

have vacuum actuated transfer I need to sell =driveline/trans..want to mount my manual actuated transfer onto the newer(nos) transmission before they put it in

Autometer mini sport tach =monitoring-done

RPM Fabrication work - Gusseted frame at front =fabwork-done

Steering collar by RPM Fabrications =fabwork-done

Re-Worked shackles by RPM Fabrications =suspension/fabwork-done

have 5 gallon katydyn water bag-done

350 Chevy conversion with shaved heads (245ft/lbs @ 2500rpm-80,000 miles on motor since rebuild) =motor

HEI Distributor =motor

New Toyota window regulators/cranks NOS

Aftermarket ignition switch from AutoZone (have original but needs a key made) =electrical

got rid of the aftermarket and purchased an NOS ignition switch

New wiper Switch NOS. needs hooked up to motor (have 1968 windshield frame not 1972 so it has 2 individual motors…I have a red cap switch operating drivers side motor i have two more wiper motors with wiring but don’t know if they are synced

XRP/Earls #8 aircraft hose and AN fitting for oil filter relocation (not installed yet) =oil/lubes

Partial electrical wiring looming =electrical

10 fuse gang block, ten waterproof switches with breakers, 10 – 30 amp relay =electrical

Dbl Header gaskets by Edelbrock =motor

High heat blanket for starter =motor

Dodge Diesel Battery #2ga insolated cable starter wire =electrical/motor

Block hugger headers corvette style =exhaust/motor

2-40 series dueled flowmaster mufflers=exhaust

120 amp Hitachi one wire alternator internal regulator =motor/electric

removed Hitachi and now running a Powermaster 3/1 wire tested at idle 104 amps, cruise at 145 amps and WOT 165 amp and at 14.6 built 6/5/17

#2ga alternator wire =electrical

Phoenix gold negative battery clamp =electrical

Front wheel two piston wilwood disk brake conversion =brakes

Wilwood 2lbs front brake residual valve =brakes

Front DBA Gold slotted drilled and chamfered rotors =brakes

Rear DBA Gold slotted drilled and chamfered rotors =brakes

Windshield wipers NOS

Man a Fre rear single piston disk brake conversion =brakes

Original dual reservoir brake cylinder =brakes

Baer rear wheel brake adjustable proportioning valve =brakes

blue torch fabrication off road Heavy duty rear diff cover =differential

8.8 metric rear end carrier studs =diferentail

New nos hood hold downs and hood rubber for clip

Have front grill hinge but no way to install.

New nos rear hatch handle Exterior and interior I just bought

Working hatch rods for rear hatch

Working dbl rear swing doors

Rear LED reverse light =electrical/lighting

10 flange wip nuts

Ballistic fabrications Dual Battery box not installed and need =electrical/battery

Yellow top Optima battery =electrical/battery

Redtop Optima for backup starting battery

Extended #6 aircraft line/breather for valve cover-pac

Auto-meter electrical volts and Water temp sending unit

New external electrical switch box with:

“6-waterproof 20amp 1.5 hp toggle switches and waterproof covers, 6-breakers, 10 gang fuse block with common positive and 6-30 amp 4 pin relays, main power in 140 amp phoenix gold breaker” for Fuel pump, MSD main, Msd distributor, Elec rad fan, elec oil cooler fan, purge pump for inner water bilge for fording.

2-75 amp sollniods PPI one for relay to starter one and one for winch. not using for starter.

4400 FlowJet purge pump for use for after fording, use as a pump or siphon water from places for hand washing etc. or to siphon fuel etc

3” snorkel system of main pvc induction for external air cooler to carb (not for water fording per se, but cooler air and or limiter dust etc.

K&N air cleaner

SOR front Roll cage kit (not installed)

Aftermarket rear roll bar kit by Smitty-built

Rear roll bar pad

Three abc fire extinguishers inspected and test 2015

rear clevis

have large camping waterproof quartermaster bag for roof rack

Cats Eyes rear corner lights flood

KC rear middle Spot

two Nite rider 30w for back up spot

Switch for back up light Nite rider lights separate from tranny backup light switch

Hella 300AMP emergency cut off switch

Uniden 78elite CB

5ft Wilson silver load CB antenna

Cb antenna quick disconnect

Incline /Tilt Guage (NOT JDM) sold that one for 150.00 it was for a RHD and i didn’t want to have it shimmed

3 ft secondary firestick CB antenna

Large Autometer Sport comp tach……need to test

Autometer Sport comp mini tachometer

Hi lift, shovel, pro-comp strap, recovery equip.

Hi lift jack mount garvin wilderness

Upper spare tire mount to roof rack

Misc ammo cans for oil, tools, belts, hoses, fitting etc.

RCI puke can (overflow bottle)

Rancho 5000 rear shocks

Rancho 5000 steering stabilizer

Rancho RSX front shocks

Warn locking hubs extra, warn premium locking hubs extra, Selectro hubs being used..these are the ones before mile marker bought them out.

6 red saftety switches for all offroad lights, spots floods and rock, 6 fusable links and relays.: 1 road 5”rear offroad spots, 2 rear off road corner roof rack floods, 2 roof 30w lights rear backups, 2 rock lights, 2 upper roof rack front KCs, 2 bumper floods front but going to be pointed sideway to see what the heck out to the sides when in the washes

Flow Kooler shortneck water pump

185* Flow Kooler thermostat

Edelbrock 1406 Carberator

Edelbrock aluminum manifold

new airquipt manifold heater hose line with removable filter (scale and nasty from anything that been sitting in the core for so long

MSD 6AL

MSD Sparkplug cables 8.5mm

MSD External REV limiter dial

MSD Blaster coil

Ron Davis Radiator

Black Magic Extreme 3300CFM electric fan with built in radiator shroud (mechanical on/off relay switch inside, but controlled by temperature of radiator maradyne switch in manifold

Rebuilt entire front axle end, bearing, wipes, races, etc. all re-done new hubs held on with studs not bolts

Locking hubs with lacing bolts - need lacing wire)

ARB air pump

ARB front Locker

Rear Rebuilt full Detroit locker

Duel rear shock mounts already available... although skids are on I saved original bolt plates with the shock mount studs on them

Viair 400c pump

Firestone 2.5 gallon air tank for tires and or other apps

Viair small pump for airhorns

Haldley 130dB dual air-horn switch pull strap accuated

Viair 1 gallon air tank

Have rear and front limiter straps (not installed, will need rear ears welded to install rear straps)

4 conn-fear Leaf spring skid plates installed)

Extra Conn Ferr extended dog bones for leafs not using yet. Just extras

2-1/2” Dog bone lift

Advanced Handling Systems front end shackle kit (Needs reverse)

Super Duty front bull bar with D RINGS

Bellvue 8000 winch ( bought out by WARN-this is Identical to the 8274 winch)

External breather tubes for Axles and fuel tank

B&M Super cooler for power steering installed

Saginaw steering conversion RPM fab installed

Aircraft type line Teflon interior high pressure power steering line

High pressure Earls low pressure side power steering hose

Downey 350 to 3 speed transmission conversion housing

Centerforce Clutch

Original mechanical 3 speed transfer case with hose from transfer drain to tranny fill.. I bought a new seal
So far now it’s been using a
Transfer case/ tranny connection hose

(Original ammeter doesn’t work in cosule, however the fuel gauge does)

Radio delete cover is actually a volt meter and water temp gauge area

Galvin wilderness roof rack

Galvin wilderness full length flooring

front KC daylighters off road spots

front off road lights floods

5 MB Motoring aluminum rims

5 Bf Goodrich ALL TERRAINS Ko 35 x12.5 x15- actually 4 with one dick Cepek

Windshield is from a 68, using the 2 wiper motor setup. I use one wiper motor wired up to a switch at visor, since I haven’t tried to install both to see if they are timed

I HAVE 4 wiper motors, they work and run and are about 120.00 bucks ea online when you can find them

Rear Northwest metal productsindustries 22 gallon tank

Northwest metal industries skid plate

Extended breather for rear tank as stated above

Extender breather rear axle tube as stated above

extender breather front axle tube

Original JDM front tank 16 gallon Needs reinstalled I suggest RCI fuel cell and a Secondary tank switch)

Holly blue electrical pump (mounted to rear frame by cell, you may want to mount it somewhere else

Holly external fuel regulator-set at 6lbs.

#6 xrp fuel line from pump top carb

Oil can 40 micron filter by pump. (extra filter is in storage box under front seat)

I have an extra edlebrock rpm carb 800 cfm 1910 series

Led rear back up light

Led license plate light

Safety orbital leds tipped on cb antenna(looking for RED)

GPS GARMIN Oregon 550t (on my person)

Garmin 18 external GPS Antenna.. this GARMIN magnetic mount antenna won’t mount to roof because my roof is factory fiberglass…so its mounted on the hood

Aces Netbook for garmin 18 have code for GPS Software but need laptop mount)

GPS GARMIN eMAP (extra in glovebox for passenger for hiking)

Dual cigetter light power box

3-5 gallon jerry gas cans

Cig lighter 120v invertor

Flashlight mount on tranny hump for MAGlite

Rifle scabbard can fit on roll bar between seats

have Extra orange and red side markers lenses and mountings

have Extra fender turn signals

Gropro camera mounts and
3 gopro hero cameras (older model)but not the 3d capable kind

Two extra drive shafts with loops to hold t rool cage

Interior dome LED

Under hood leds for working on truck-soon

thats just the stuff i remember

Start engine first.. not concerned now about some spiffy EFI especially if it not running again yet. I have a new edlebrock on it I need to really take advantage of

I need one more cheap used spare to get it rolling on to a flat bed

Yes even though on stands the heat killed my tires

If and when it starts off to 4wheeler off-road and supply to have my transmission installed

Then I will do brakes over again ... I have money to re-do over again. Not worried about reinstalling rear locker if the thing isn’t going anywhere’s I soon as that’s done... I will try to strip it down as much as I can before I’m told “Izzy! What hell are you doing?” I do live in an apt and my vehicle is unsecured under a common metal awning I’m my personal spot but I can’t risk doing the whole nit and bolt thing except in sections ie:

One side of the suspension... then the there other side. I can take all the stuff out of the interior and I do kinda use my back room as my Fj40 storage room. Lol

I have seat that are original inslcluding the evap tank in the smaller split seat rear area

I have more
Images but it won’t help this post but I will put a few in

The ugly image that looks like the roof and gutter is... unfortunately it’s sheet metal screwed down because rust I believe I have one more interesting image to take but I will just state that the rivers that hold the front part of the roof to the frame of the roof are gone. Image later I got to get to work

But I have the priorities down what’s needs...my want list is out of the way for now. Most of the needed wants were the 80+ points in my long ass postlastnimagemismthe nasemof the rollcage although I have the
SOR front cage part I may put that off for 4+. The cage I have had been leaning against my living room wall for about 9-10 years

CBD9DD37-6145-4884-854E-288956F4A2F7.jpeg

6B42A278-18DB-4DD3-BE3D-600C99F30ABC.jpeg

D78481B3-6A0B-433D-AC8B-6D34713CB228.jpeg

Ok it has been asked for more images...Yes I m ok to upload more however do i waste the bandwidth and space putting in this area under this title or do i go to my media and upload them to the album Loosechange?

I know that I have some on my album but no one has made comments to the title question for each image?

let me know where the best place to upload would be? thank again for the great feed back and effort ...I hope that i can repay that with my own knowledge as well

I would put them in this thread. Upload 5 then click full images. We want the full meal deal. This is the thread that is going to get your project back on a “lazer focused” trajectory. We are all rooting for loosechange.
:steer:

Will do following images are of the roof not attached by rivers anymore to the channel above windshield... windshield if from a 68 not a 72. I’m thinking “mutt mobile” or mutmobl for a plate but it’s taken alteady

The steering wheel is from an old hilux I have a 72 cap that fits just not in it yet

1BE92CD1-EDC1-465A-A576-84F37BB86610.jpeg

6488BDEF-154C-40C4-AB48-A2AF67E5474F.jpeg

6EC8CDD1-2FA7-4DAF-9F3E-0F34CD316E7C.jpeg

F2483D28-B76E-461A-BF04-1FA8336804A2.jpeg

Bad front drive shaft... The bend you see and the smashed joints area is from the differential side not the transfer case side and I was informed it may be a motor too far forward. Hence the concern earlier in my posts about that

75F4D849-5B13-495D-AF54-76FE17CF05EB.jpeg

984B4529-5A7C-4CEF-B61A-1FF72636563B.jpeg

F7102152-9747-4F57-9A15-4AE78171CB3C.jpeg

0BE143BF-8939-4EED-93AB-7F9216612740.jpeg

4B0190FD-711C-4E70-A984-87C90FE9E7A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Dry rotted bushing between radiator and core support... msd getting moved from where to where you see in image to blank spot on firewall

I broke my arb line last week

Also need to get this arm flange off for my rear end but don’t see any “stake” to drill outnetc but it isn’t coming off

1F4F4047-DDB2-4479-857F-75B7934170EF.jpeg

DE37267B-D19D-4190-80FF-281F4BE48A11.jpeg

FAF668B3-F8B0-49ED-9446-27556D943113.jpeg

22516DDE-8404-4857-A3CD-06B9E2CBBE80.jpeg

ED6416F3-30C0-44E1-BC1B-D78BA64C6CD1.jpeg

So if you go to my album loosechange you will see some images that concern me the main one is my alternator, seems that the belt looks a little crooked you’ll see in the image. It also appears that my power steering pump which is almost impossible to get the Off to check the level is also not lined up properly it seems to the water pump and harmonic balance or pulley’s.

There’s other images I think I took that show some better quality than what I put on this so far

Yes this post is definitely a short novella. Lol

Ok so following. Do I need this negative post from my head to the frame?

Does the belt in the alternator look like it’s sits too far up and not flush enough

Does the belt look cricked to anyone besides me?

And should I use my wheels spacers since it appears that the tie rod end is way too close to the inner rim you can also the rusted DBA rotor.

thats what happens when you live in a city that either 120* or Monsoon. i thought phoenix was the place to be to KEEP a vehicle safe from the elements o_O

8FC5F8D0-E51D-4161-8CAE-74373ACAD3B6.jpeg

0DB72381-5243-4258-9A65-0B1D50F2E2BD.jpeg

F61CDB83-C718-42C5-8A86-242CE7BA7A70.jpeg

E2D95A00-D3F9-450B-BCD6-074846EE9C04.jpeg

Last edited:
following update

Ok so not sure why but the In/Out of the Baer proportioning valve makes it to where i had to mount it upside-down. Un-cool man but functional
the B&M supercooled mounts perfect behind the grill and its got 1/4" rubber matting behind the zips to keep it from violently damaging the Aluminum radiator
Yes the 40 has a sunroof in the back. It doesn't leak but it was there when i got it
t
he Rancho steering stabilizer thats mounted on the wrong side of the u-bolt skid..will change out one day
the last one is an original set of Selectro hubs...I have two sets but had to disassemble and reassemble once set by using the other sets..Not ne hub was operable internally until i started R/R on them, now they work

I have two sets of Warn locking hubs as well. I have a newer premium set and an old school set.

IMG_0264 (2).jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

DSCN1675.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

I didn't read all of it, but here are my $0.02:

wheel the truck :steer: it will tell you want it needs/wants

also, Tools R Us and inkpot are wrenching on cruisers daily, currently on one of mine :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom