So... I love my Fj40 but why I trying so hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you mostly want an off-roader, the motor as long as it runs at all, doesn't matter. A Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine is practically enough.

And you already have a V8! Yeah. Plenty of motivation for any FJ40. Just get it running and cooling well.

I would put the 3 speed out to pasture in time.

If you plan a lot of off road, an SM420 swap makes a ton of sense. The adapter to your existing 3 speed case is still out there, and in my 15 year experience is bullet proof. The gear spreads are wide for a street truck, but the V8 will make up for that short coming.

But if you don't, I'd recommend a stock 4 speed Land Cruiser transmission. That way it's synchronized in all forward speeds and the gear spreads are just right for mostly street. A deep overdrive like NV4500 isn't really needed and that's a spendy transmission. It's also kind of long in a 40. And lastly, FJ40s really are not that safe to drive fast. With stock everything you can go 65 which is more than enough for an FJ40. So deep overdrives, more power etc, just isn't a thing you need.

Your 4.11 gearing is fine with that V8 for anything up to 35 inch tires.

It sounds like a whole lot of wants you don't need to me. What I would want in your position:

Front disc brakes (swap in a later FJ40 axle or just the outer parts from FJ60)
2.5 inch suspension lift
Power steering conversion
All systems working well
$$ for gas

Then go the places you want to go. If you find a place you can't go, then, modify based on what you want.

But do one project at a time. Finish that project. Then plan/execute the next. Otherwise you will loose focus and then motivation. For myself with my trucks-only one out of service at a time. No matter what. The same applies here. Get it working well as is, then 1 project at a time done to completion. Focus on getting it running AS IS. Then focus on excellent brakes. Then focus on excellent steering. Then and only then are you ready for anything else.

My ambition is to be able to take class 3 trails... nothing hardcore but some off camber stuff and maybe some decent size rocks to pick a line over.... and still be streetable.

I have a Ron Davis aluminum radiation and a black magic extreme 3300 cfm electric fan, even in the hot az sun in the afternoon wheeling at the lake in the washes i never got higher than about 185-190 and never near 200-210

So cooling isn’t the issue

I have front disks now for a while, old issue man-a-fre where you have to put the rotor behind the hub. Yeah very long time ago I got em. That and the 2lbs residual valve and Baer rear brake proportioning valve. I also ended up getting the rear “Monte Carlo” disk brake conversion with DBA rotors , however I don’t have the emergency brake setup anymore... it’s in a burlap bag. Stopping power is ok

Suspension is not flat but I could use new springs. I have the front “advance handling kit” this came with the vehicle and RPM FAB helped out with the shackles and gusseting and powrsteering box work with new collar

I do have some extender shackles and I am not using the conn-ferr one because the ones I’m using are boxed and the C.F. Ones only have a u-brace not boxed brace.

So although it still sits a bit lower it rides nice when it did

Cooling check
Brakes check
Suspension check
Motor check

I’m purchasing a cold fire system end of summer instead of relying on my fire ext

I have a yellow top primary for all my electrical... had to do lots of math to figure what I need and I have a red top for only backup starting

I have a hellroaring isolator
I do have a full Detroit going back in to rear end. I have an arb in the front end

I have an SOR partial front cage to extend to the after market roll bar

I have too much other “stuff” awaited and being used still on the vehicle

Off rode lights front rear side..
Garvin industries roof rack with floor I got for a steal. Less than 250.00 complete and new from a guy selling everything on his truck that was going to get repossessed. I have the shovel, axe , hi lift and hi lift “foot” for using on dirt etc... however no where to lift the truck so that’s research for later on.

Yes I am along the right rode for some ok off road adventures

My concern is protection. This is not a vehicle I want left out in the wilderness if I break a u-joint by accidentally slamming down on a rock or my transfer case gets bashed in... of oil pan or etc.

Again soon pictures of stuff and more concerns

I have selectro licking hubs but also have two other sets of warm locking hubs and hubs as well.

I have an old school Bellevue/warm 8000 but I have no clue if it works I also have area for where it mounts to

I have the steering stabilizer by rancho with a b&m supercooled for steering box.

Msd 6al with rev control box and coil to a Chevy distributor.

Yes the motor is out a 77 corvette but the heads are basically the best of the worst of the Chevy truck heads. They are 333882 heads. I had them surfaced and rebuilt and the shop didn’t say anything about he notorious “cracking” these heads appearantly get. So maybe vortec heads

I know by having this Fj40 it will be a never ending project and that’s ok

I just hate when I lose focus on what I want to do. Basically the truck is a tool and as I was always told a particular job needs a particular tool. Well I’m the guy that will change a water pump out with a pipe wrench and butter knife if it will get the job done. At 2am with no street light only 30 minutes to get to work and let me tell you.. it can be done.. with a lot of praying

I also have a flowkooler water pump and edlebrock 1406 carb and manifold for 1500-to midrange power right in the curve of the actual rpms I need when in 4 wheel low and high.

So now on to

What do I want to do.
Not Rick crawl I now but trails kinda heavy duty ones but not knarly...and drive it over 500 miles a month if possible without giving a sh** about not being able to shift to another gear or have overdrive

Keep the ideas coming
You all had some really good feedback

I’m sinking all this info into by brain. Thanks again

I saw a few older Chevy heavy dirt trucks next to my work in a yard that are for sale inknkwnonenhasnthe sm420
I will talk to the owner of the shop there see what’s up

Although I do believe I may just shoot for the four speed Toyota

Just really pissed I got the 72 instead of a 76 I would have saved so much more money... just to spend it on the 76 LOL!

I mean the 76 already had disks brakes factory, it had the 4 speed , could change out to stronger birgs . man I got a 72 because I was selfish and wanted something old and 76 was too new.

I think I will sell other vehicle once the 72 is limping along and get a 76 as well

I would shoot for 33s or 35s for tires. I would probably go for a sm465 trans as they are a bit easier to get parts for than a 420. Get a plate adapter for your tcase from classic cruisers. Add a sniper kit for efi. That should make for a pretty streetable rig that will have some good low gearing offroad.

I mean I will sell the vehicle I’m currently driving. I am not ever divorcing my 72 ever.

If your goal is a truck that will make it out of the backcountry, the obvious thing to address first (assuming running, braking steering are good) is your weak front end. Coarse spline brifs and 35s is a recipe for broken birfields. So maybe a later front end should be your first priority. I'd recommend FJ60 parts, and RCV 30 spline axles. Then your front end will be more or less reliable unless you get stupid.

I think a quick drive to the dirt now would show you exactly what you need to do next. Roof racks with farckles is not something you need, where as a strong front end is. None of this is rocket science.

And one other thing-with old Land Cruisers, you still need another reliable daily driver. Do not sell your current ride to buy another broken Land Cruiser.

Does this vehicle currently drive on the street or is it up on stands?

I looked into sniper and ended up saving for an fitech 600 series ... although there customer support sucks. The system is complete for only 1200.00 that with pump programmable with monitor and I only had to get the return line to splice into my vent tube at the rear tank that put in

Running35’s but older 15” rims and these are the ko’s Not ko2’s o km’s

Ok three bfg and one dick cepek
Not sure if his trucks at the yard have the 465 I know one has a 420

I think as this post is coming along the ax15 and NV series is off the table

Too much money to do so little with off road I think.. basically an investment I won’t get the full Benifits from spending on a tranission that expensive

Typically I can find a sm465 on craigslist for less than 300 bucks. I would figure out what bellhousing and what spline sm465 you need for your tcase b4 you buy one. Im 90% sure your bellhousing will work. Classic cruisers could probably tell you. Novak conversions knows a lot about the sm465 and has parts for them.

While my 40 is very different from yours and my hurdles have been quite different, as I read through this thread - it sounds all too common.

I don't have advice to you on what parts you should run in your vehicle - that's one you'll have to determine after use and breakage of current parts - finding what went wrong and how to fix it so it won't happen again.

The advice I would have, though, is similar to what others have said. I find that I do far better getting things done on the 40 when I make a list, and set a date to complete the list. It can be simple things like "bleed/adjust rear brakes" or much loftier things like "build/install the roll cage". I create a list that I think is attainable within the timeframe (and give myself a good amount of time) - and as I procrastinate, the list doesn't get crossed off - I personally will start to push on completing the lower time/simpler items - which then generally preps me (as I think what I want to get done) for the bigger items.

I don't always meet my deadline, and I don't have to. It's, however, a way that forces me to get things done.

If it makes you feel any better - when I got mine, about 5 years ago, the most recent registration it had was 1983.... the giant chunk of rust called a 327 between the frame rails corroborated that timeline as well.

I just read through this for the first time, and I have a strong vibe from what I’ve read. Write off the $$ from the compromise cage kit you bought and have Dave Gore from 4+ build you a real rollcage that you can walk away from in a worst-case scenario.

Safety first.

Power steering second. The vehicle will handle SO differently once you can sharif the weight at will that you will reevaluate gearing and suspension.

WOW! this was a lot of amazing information to take in. Again wow!
Ok so yes back to my flash drive I haven’t opened in aboutn4 years with all. My lists and time to prioritize.

I’ve done a lot in the 8 years it’s been on blocks and rarely ever took “in process” pictures but will start again.

I will be back online later with stuff that did work and that I’ve done.

Great info everyone absolutely great info... be back tonight to update what’s up

From what I have read and understand you saying is that you read something and like that idea. Then you buy parts only to change your mind or second guess yourself later on.

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! Quit buying parts and making decisions. Get into some good build threads and in the FAQ section and just read. Do your research and compare directions that people have taken their 40’s and decide what works best for you and your budget.

You can get really frustrated, aggravated and discouraged when you waste your time, money and energy doing something to your 40 to only realize that you are worse off afterwards or you don’t have the desired results you wanted.

Best advice that I can give is to take your time. Formulate a plan of attack and a priority list. Figure out exactly what you want your end result to be then work towards it. Remember that when you plan to do something to one system it will affect another system that may not be compatible with your desired overall plan. You have to make sure that everything will work together to achieve your end goal. Do it right the first time with best parts and don’t look back.

I have saved so much time and money by watching what others have done and the outcome they got and the tips and lessions that they learned along the way. Learn from other people’s mistakes and successes.

From what I have read and understand you saying is that you read something and like that idea. Then you buy parts only to change your mind or second guess yourself later on.

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! Quit buying parts and making decisions. Get into some good build threads and in the FAQ section and just read. Do your research and compare directions that people have taken their 40’s and decide what works best for you and your budget.

You can get really frustrated, aggravated and discouraged when you waste your time, money and energy doing something to your 40 to only realize that you are worse off afterwards or you don’t have the desired results you wanted.

Best advice that I can give is to take your time. Formulate a plan of attack and a priority list. Figure out exactly what you want your end result to be then work towards it. Remember that when you plan to do something to one system it will affect another system that may not be compatible with your desired overall plan. You have to make sure that everything will work together to achieve your end goal. Do it right the first time with best parts and don’t look back.

I have saved so much time and money by watching what others have done and the outcome they got and the tips and lessions that they learned along the way. Learn from other people’s mistakes and successes.

^^^ This, I have probably spent twice as much time reading MUD and learning from others as I have actually doing the work on my truck. It makes every project go smoother, makes me more confident in the work, and prevents me from doing dumb things I will regret and need to fix later.

1) Slow Down and Research
2) Design Your Truck on Paper
3) Go back and make sure the element you designed will actually work with one another (more research)
4) Break the project up into small bite-size chunks that fit your free time and budget
5) Execute in small, but size chunks that leave the truck driveable while you re-fill your cruiser fund and acquire parts to tackle the next project.
6) In the meantime, drive the hell out of it to determine whether or not you like the project you just finished or if it needs to be tweaked.

There is an immense wealth of accumulated knowledge here and tons of very helpful people. I've asked a TON of very stupid questions over the years, and received hundreds of much more intelligent responses than my stupid questions deserved. :hillbilly:

... and this is why I’m so damn glad I asked and started this

I have gone through my flash drive and read note from literally 15, 9 and 5 years ago and most of the stuff and ideas I put aside. But now?

I think I was on the right track and money for for it got in the way. I had a lot. Well at least enough t by another inexpensive Fj40 and then I got off track

I am so great full for the awesome feedback and for those who have taken the time to read my posts and answer

My number one goal?
Start it. Just get it running.

Then towed to the shop 4wheelers off-road to get the transmission installed

Then take if the 33 inch spare and get a 35 to match the other 35’s

I will not be driving it till the front and rear brakes are redone by me again...

no cover only a overhead car port and sitting since 2010 have really did a number on the DBA rotors . Living in Phoenix with the heat and monsoons killed my rotors they look like a hung of round rust

Soon as that’s done I will drive the darn thing once and for all again

Then on to the list I originally made... actually many of them. I had a Frankenstein list of ideas from all the other TLC’s I saw and said “hey, that’s a good idea etc”

please if you have questions about my setup I’d be happy to post or pm. It’s a plethora of stuff but mainly the Fj40 is basically stock I guess
But I think the engine is too far forward and my drive shaft is at such a funky angle it smushed a u-joint.

Pictures soon if that catastophe

Hey CruiserDrew: thank you for the idea about the bifs in my 72, Ithought they are fine though maybe? I don’t remember but now after I rebuilt the front end many years ago but is coarse....yes they aren’t great with 35’s... especially since I have the arb upfront it would seem to compound that problem. I will talk to John about the whole fj60 thing (Tools-R-Us). However again in need to see howntonget that going as well

Yes my other vehicle drives for now and is not on stands.... yet? LoL

thanks again

If the engine is too far forward, having the shop weld in new mounts and move the engine backward while the transmission is out might save some money in the long run, since it will all need to come out.

That said - having a shop do that level of work could get expensive. Moved mounts mean new driveshafts, new exhaust, etc. I know because my V8 was too far forward when I bought it and I’ve been doing exactly that on my 40. How far forward is it?? show us a picture of the back of the passenger side valve cover - how far is it from the firewall?

Hey CruiserDrew: thank you for the idea about the bifs in my 72, Ithought they are fine though maybe? I don’t remember but now after I rebuilt the front end many years ago but is coarse....yes they aren’t great with 35’s... especially since I have the arb upfront it would seem to compound that problem. I will talk to John about the whole fj60 thing (Tools-R-Us). However again in need to see howntonget that going as well

Yes my other vehicle drives for now and is not on stands.... yet? LoL

thanks again

I thought @Tools R Us name was Kevin?

Anyway, a good plan to get some objective advice from him.

Overall advice, is to make it run and drive now as it sits.

Then worry about projects/additions. Your truck sounds like it has potential but it's a long way from being an offroader. Get it running, cooling, braking and steering. Then worry about the rest of it. Focus on a running drivable truck. Your truck will likely end up far different than you think at any given time, but if you keep it essentially drivable, you won't end up with so many projects at once you never start any of them.

You are going to have to keep your individual projects modest, since it sounds like you have no good place to work on it.

Here is a work flow to consider as time and money allow:

1-Get it running and driving as is. 31-33 inch tires max. No modifications. Drive it around all this summer and enjoy. Fix all the little problems that will become obvious. (If you can't make it run and drive as is, don't do anything else. Sell the truck.)

Next off season:

2- Power steering-Seriously, you want this. Can't do it in a carport. Talk to Tools.

3-Front disc brakes with FJ60 parts and RCV 30 spline axles. You can use your existing axle housing.

4-Modest suspension lift-2.5 inches or so. Upgrade to 33 inch tires.

5-Drive around all next summer and enjoy. Go on some modest off road trips.

6-After 2 years of actual use, you'll be ready to consider real modifications, And by then, you'll know what you want.

CruiserDrew. you are correct i was thinking of his partner in crime...InkPot. but yes Kevin is who i meant AND THATS why i love you guys. (i really got to keep up on my meds man) ok so yes

YEs have the Saginaw steering already done by RMPFAB out in Tempe AZ. but before they moved from way to west side

I will talk to Desert Tools however i think he may have closed up show I don't know haven't been out there cause they are never there when i can get time to cruise on up there. (ill do some research here first on Mud before i talk kevin...about the whole fj60 stuff.

I do have a decent lift with the shackles I've had on it ...at least 2.5" but my springs are a bit worn

i already have the 35's on it for a while, can't afford 31's or 33's yet or it will compromise the saving to get it actually running with the tranny change

I would rather do a 4 speed with an orion by next summer I should have that much saved but not labor to do it....as you said though. Drive it, no mods just drive

i do not have a good place to work on...some minor wrecking but not out of the box. but in an pst complex that only has about 36 units and 50 parking spots. well it can be problem for the landlady , so far its not. lived here 13 years in the same apt an never late n rent or bitchin about a problem, so I'm one of the long tremors here. She loves me!

Picture on engine bay but the passenger valve cover is very close to the firewall maybe two inches same as the drivers..I can get my palm between it not the great image old school apple 6 iPhone.

saginaw box redone better

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

I’m at a point where I’ve lost direction

I’ve lost what I really want from this vehicle. The more I think the more money it costs and I still don’t know if it will be what I want it to be .
I can't really offer much on this. The previous replies have really given great information. I can relate to your situation, and all the mistakes noted. It took 20 year for me to get my CJ5 'up and running'. Too many times 'changing direction'. Too many times replacing brand new parts, with brand new parts, because I let the project sit and decided to 'go another way'.

Everyone's financial situation is unique. I've now got a really expensive 42-43 year old vehicle, that I drive seldom. I wouldn't even consider bashing it into rocks/trees, which is what they're best at. If you make it too nice, spend too much money on it, you'll most likely end up the same.

My $.02, and what other's have offered: Get it starting, stopping, and steering. Stop throwing money at it for potential 'upgrades'. Drive it, wheel it, evaluate it. You might just find that it'll suit your purposes without a nest egg amount of money.

I really wish I had done that, instead I ventured down the rabbit hole.

Hack: thats definitely a "go-at this station" I appreciate it and thats what i am going to do ..i re-read list after list i saved on different formats electronically and wow did i go off the deepend

To those who really wish to know what i want...Im selfish and yes I will say that..here what i would hope would happen

I wanted someone to look at my fj40 and say.."wow thats an awesome idea. let me take a picture of that and see if i can do that.."
yes that was selfish but this how most do their research...they see something they like and try to incorporate it into their own build.

I wanted that...i wanted to see someone using one of the ideas i got from someone who got it from someone else else and have someone say...

Hey Izzy (me) that was an awesome idea...where did ever think of that.

thats what i want(ed)

i just need to get it on the street again and drive it...so i know where these next three weeks of tips are getting saved for...(along with the paychecks since my bills are paid up till mid may or so.)

i didn't put the money into the right place at the right time although I've had 20 years to research and thought i did tons of it...definately not enough of it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom