So I jumped in head first without seeing how deep the water is. (New guy tread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally broke down and bought a LC. Ive been wanting one for at least 15 years since the 2006 model came out. (Still can but don't want to afford a 06-07)
I bought a very high mileage 2005
- 327k miles
- Thundercloud
- Nav : [
- NO rust been here in North Texas its whole life
- Runs very well no major Oil leaks/consumption issues
- PO did his part with maintenance and timing belt still has 30K left
- Two owners, the PO put 187K on it and the first owner put 140k on it.

I have been a 3rd gen 4runner guy for years and have built, rebuilt and repaired just about all you can on a 4runner. How many miles you ask is high?? Well this just-broken-in gem has 327K and still is running very well.

Current issues that I will be working through.
- Nav and ac buttons unresponsive along with touch screen (screen is fine as far as I can tell) Ac stuck on auto around 72 as far as I can tell
- Slop in the front end drivetrain with a pretty big CLUNK when shifting R-N-D and after coasting off the gas and then accelerate. (Yes I gresed the U-joints and slip yoke.)
- Lots of little broken trim and cupholder type stuff from PO driving the handing it down to Wife then 2 daughters.
- Some minor body damage and some minor paint correction will be needed.

I look forward to all the correspondence will all the members here and welcome any and all feedback. Positive and Negative (Im a duck and it just rolls off my back!!. I also look forward to helping others out as best I can. I have bought project 4runners, Tacomas, Tundras, Subarus and VWs for years as a labor of love to save and get back on the street (and turn small profit) all as just a hobby.

Welcome!

Some tips I've learned on the forum:

1) Visually inspect the TB (regardless of anyone telling you when it was done) take one cover off.
2) Check your heater "Ts" this will KILL your engine in the middle of a trip if they break, and they do. Replace those it's easy and cheap
3) The slop on the drive train is probably lack of grease on the driveshaft points (that's what mine did before I greased them)
4) If you have broken trim, I suggest you start replacing that as you are able (expensive) because the parts are becoming scarce

Enjoy! it's a fun ride.

Congrats! Also owner of a thundercloud 05. Have it for 5 years or so, if you have the gray interior start collecting interior parts now, before the russians buy them all! (Joking Igor, smile). The tan parts are more available cause they sold way more, specially in the LX’s..

Now, I usually don’t like when forum members ask for pics, gotta find the pictures in your phone or step out to snap one, being careful of hiding the rust spot, the bold spot, ugly feet if with sandals, the fact that you didn’t clean your car in 2 years.. but this time I want to be the first:
This thread is useless without pics!!

Thanks.

Congrats and welcome to mud.

Pics, we need pics.

So I finally broke down and bought a LC. Ive been wanting one for at least 15 years since the 2006 model came out. (Still can but don't want to afford a 06-07)
I bought a very high mileage 2005
- 327k miles
- Thundercloud
- Nav : [
- NO rust been here in North Texas its whole life
- Runs very well no major Oil leaks/consumption issues
- PO did his part with maintenance and timing belt still has 30K left
- Two owners, the PO put 187K on it and the first owner put 140k on it.

I have been a 3rd gen 4runner guy for years and have built, rebuilt and repaired just about all you can on a 4runner. How many miles you ask is high?? Well this just-broken-in gem has 327K and still is running very well.

Current issues that I will be working through.
- Nav and ac buttons unresponsive along with touch screen (screen is fine as far as I can tell) Ac stuck on auto around 72 as far as I can tell
- Slop in the front end drivetrain with a pretty big CLUNK when shifting R-N-D and after coasting off the gas and then accelerate. (Yes I gresed the U-joints and slip yoke.)
- Lots of little broken trim and cupholder type stuff from PO driving the handing it down to Wife then 2 daughters.
- Some minor body damage and some minor paint correction will be needed.

I look forward to all the correspondence will all the members here and welcome any and all feedback. Positive and Negative (Im a duck and it just rolls off my back!!. I also look forward to helping others out as best I can. I have bought project 4runners, Tacomas, Tundras, Subarus and VWs for years as a labor of love to save and get back on the street (and turn small profit) all as just a hobby.
tempImageckbwzf.png

Welcome!

Some tips I've learned on the forum:

1) Visually inspect the TB (regardless of anyone telling you when it was done) take one cover off.
2) Check your heater "Ts" this will KILL your engine in the middle of a trip if they break, and they do. Replace those it's easy and cheap
3) The slop on the drive train is probably lack of grease on the driveshaft points (that's what mine did before I greased them)
4) If you have broken trim, I suggest you start replacing that as you are able (expensive) because the parts are becoming scarce

Enjoy! it's a fun ride.
I will do a visual on the TB
I will check the Ts
I did grease the drive shaft already and the slip yokes (not the problem)
I will start with all the trim stuff
Thanks for all the tips

I did grease the drive shaft already and the slip yokes (not the problem)
Other main culprits are front diff bushings and/or the CV hubs. eventually you can throw enough parts at it that the clunk will mostly disappear just a question of what you can live with or how much money you can live without.

This should help with your buttons:

Your clunk may very well be your diff bushings, that solved mine. Here is my post with a bunch of details for you:
Getting after the front diff bushings today. I have a fair bit of play in the forward bushing and the drivers side support arm bushing. I decided to splurge and buy the two rear arms already loaded, so it's an easy swap... but I will be chiseling out the forward bushing in the diff cover. I am expecting a decent fight, but nothing like the lower control arm bushings... if i start drunkenly posting tonight, you'll know it was a bad bloody day!

Part numbers for those interested:
Part NumberPart Desciption
4165160010Front diff bushing
4165360010Front stopper, diff mount upper
4165460010Front stopper, diff mount lower
9011914090Front bolt
5238060040Diff supper assy aft, drivers side (loaded arm)
5238060030Diff supper assy aft, passenger side (loaded arm)
4165360020STOPPER, FRONT DIFFERENTIAL MOUNT, UPPER
4165460010STOPPER, DIFFERENTIAL MOUNT, LOWER

Threads for instructions/references:

Don't just check the T's, get two sets... replace the existing, and then keep the spare set in the truck. Those things are so cheap and easy, it's not worth risking.

My drivetrain clunk had nothing to do with u-joints and slip yoke. Lubing them up changed nothing, still good to do of course. I put my phone under the car and filmed everything while I shifted. Front diff bushings were worn and moved a lot. Swapping out the one that moved the most took 90% of my clunk away.

Texas is a big place. I recommend you put a city in your profile, you may get more offers for help from locals.

Congrats on the truck. I have an 04 and had the inop buttons and AC stuck in auto at 72 as well - replaced the Gateway ECU and alls good now (after a lot of trial and error). Good luck, great color.

Like you, my previous off-roaster was a 3rd Gen 4Runner. I just bought an 05 Lexus LX470 Monday. Getting some used Toyos put on as I type this until I figure out how aggressive I can go on this build without spending a ton of cash (I always prioritize routing maintenance over mods). congrats On the new ride, and hoping you get this sorted out rather easily.

Also how much did you pay bud? so we can all baseline from time to time for a vehicle with ur mileage and problems.

Btw congrats.. there are a few things you will need updating.. but all in due time..
$11,000 with 312,000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom