So I have this idea and want everyones input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I once had a some leaks around a few windows and used this stuff.
GREAT STUFFâ„¢ 16 oz. Gaps & Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant - 162848 at The Home Depot

Now that I have my frame all painted I was wondering if I would be completely stupid if I used this stuff to fill in the areas that collect dirt, rocks etc.

I have run the pros and cons around in my head and I'm not leaning one way or the other. Has anybody tried this?

I know when I used this stuff around my windows I was amazed at how hard it was and that it allowed no air pockets anywhere.

My concern is with the flexing of the frame and general use it might not hold up and then I would have a mess.

Let me have it. What does everybody think.

Happy Friday! Its Cruiser time.

what is this flexing frame you speak of :confused:

good idea..... over time great stuff will get brittle and crack if exposed to water and the elements. granted it probably wont be exposed to sunlight but i do know it gets water logged and it will just trap moisture between it and the frame. Sounds like a rust haven. why not line x it or something comparable. peta will love me for this but i know this friend who sprayed used oil on the frame and drove down a dusty road and that worked.....

My experience with the stuff is .. it swells up unpredictably, impossible to remove from skin, clothing, paint or anything else that it touches, and believe me it touches everything. I understand your thought process of using this stuff but; in my opinion... and I'm just a tap dancing monkey, I would not use it for anything but filling huge gaps in a barn to keep critters out.:cheers:

Oh heck no! Every single FJ40 I have seen that used any form of insulation foam, has rot rust because of the moisture the same foam holds. It really destroys them.

I am up in the air, I know I have seen mention of others using this or something similar inside the boxed part of the frames. Anyone who has cleaned out a frame themselves know how much mud and rocks come out, and just keep coming out of the boxed sections, seems almost impossible to get clean. For the body parts that have the channel supports I actually welded all the ends closed to seal them up so mud and dirt do not collect inside them. I plan to soak the inside of the frame sections with a wax oil mixture from eastwood, but after that might try some of this stuff to fill the boxed sections then seal that with more wax oil. Keeping the sand and salt out seems critical to me.

around here that was pretty much standard practice to foam fill the frames .once the muds packed in there they rot anyhow.if you have to weld on the frame or cut on it then its a bitch.we have gone to oiling with used motor oil and more cleaning.mostly because we are always modding something and foam fumes from welding are not good .keeping the openings open so air can get in and pressure washing the frame inside has been our new aproach.

We used to have a problem with the insides of our bike shoes rusting and them bending.

bike-shoe-wheel-chock-img54799.jpg

It was suggested to use great stuff to fill up the tubes and that would help conrol the rusting (and thus the weakened metal). It has been over 6 years since I have done this and it seems to work like a charm.

Doc

I would use ruberized under coating .... I have also seen that stuff REALLY rust out trucks

NO!!!!
I've seen it. It never dries out.
Use a pressure washer with a sewer pipe cleaning jet that will pull itself through the frame-be very careful as these jets of water can cut/kill you. After it has dried out use an oil based rust treatment in a garden sprayer to soak the insides. Repeat yearly before the salt is deployed.

No foam product is truly impervious to water...over time. NO foam to metal adhesion is permanent. In the building trades (which this product is intended) it is unacceptable to use any brand of sealing foam without some measure of encapsulation. I.E. a permanent barrier between the elements and the foam is essential.
You are correct, stock Landcruiser frames do flex quite a bit. The foam does not. Some will say it does. Unfortunately, it will not stretch but will compress. Both conditions cause failed adhesion between the containing steel and the foam or the adhered foam "skin" becomes separated from the bulk of the foam. Either way,, water & debris are entrained.
In hte HVAC realm: walk-in cooler/freezer panels are 97% (by volume) foam. I can tell you, from experience. they weigh next to nothing when new. Old ones can be 100 lbs. or more and will leak water for days when cut or broken...not to mention the funk they exude!

So I guess you could say IMHO not a good idea. CHears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom