So I cranked my V8 today finally! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
I have finally had enough and began pushing the sled forward so I started working on my electrical system.Was lucky as hell that happened to pour a quart of oil into it just about a month ago and none of it leaked out as my rig is been mothballed for a decade. I connected the starter motor and ignition long with a fresh battery and everything I needed to get my FJ40 running minus the fuel and cooling systems --they are not yet installed. So I cranked the engine electrically to see what starter would do, and it began firing off and wouldn't stop cranking and running no matter what position the key was in, and even pulled out of the ignition! I scrambled around like mad trying to figure out what to do expecting oil to go geysering everywhere but I yanked the positive cable off the battery and everything stopped. So I'm guessing there's a problem with the actual keyed ignition on the steering column. Are these easily obtained or should I just pull the whole steering column out and replace it entirely?

Last edited:
What are you working on here? I'd get an electrical meter and start looking at the electrical switch as you mentioned. It may just be all gummed up or the contacts stuck together. Swapping them out isn't hard either way.

Please say you pre-lubed that engine before cranking it....that's a very long time for an engine to sit

as above a meter will easily tell you if there is a wiring/ign switch problem, could also be, but a little less likely that the solenoid on the starter has/had jammed and kept the contacts closed

That was the very first time I used the starter motor it's brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom