So how do you tow a 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to pick up my 1985 fj60 I just bought. I plan to flat tow it for about 5 hours on the highway. (in a month I plan to tow it this way also cross country.) I have towed a offroad jeep for hours and hours. But it was a auto. Never messed with a 5speed and I know this is lame, but what is the best way to FLAT TOW a 5speed. Also, do you need to take the driveshafts out. We never did. Just want to make sure I don't take out both my vehicles in on try hahaha.

Flat towing something that heavy is a bit dodgy. Might consider a dolly. You don't really NEED to pull the driveshafts, just keep the tranny and xfer in neutral. Also make sure the steering wheel lock is unlocked.

Towing it from where? And dolly it, netrual, stearing free etc, as stated above.

wingysataday said:
get a dolly. You don't even wanna mess with flat towing with somethin that heavy!

just tried flat towing my 60 DONT USE A CHAIN ON BAR made it 10 mile before I turned around and gave up WAY to heavy even with a Ford F350 get a dolly for sure ...BUT you want the x-fer in netrual and the trans in like 2nd this keep the trans from turning with the xfer from friction ....good luck

Towing with a expedition. How heavy are they??? Anyway, drove a as long way, hooked it up, started to go ... it was in n in both cases and ignition turn on to unlock the wheel and they kepts trying to go left and locking. Pissed me off and I had to leave it there. SUCKS....I need to get this truck some how. WV to VA, about 300 miles. Frustraited and guess I need to rent a full trailer? Wouldn;t I still have the same problem with a dolly?

Make sure to turn the front hubs to "free" so that the front driveshaft is disconnected. Keep everything in neutral and drive slowly. I would say no faster than 65mph.

:beer:

I did that too.....still kept trying to turn and lock. I have towed a jeep for so many miles it's not even funny and that was about 4800lbs. I am so confused as to why this kep happening.

By the way, if you are in WV and might be able to help I will pay good money...I want to get this truck here asap so I have started looking into haulers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom