So how are we doing? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Just curious, we have been talking about the drive to 4000. Where were we in January and how far have we come?

Nice to know what progress we are making.

You can track this on the masthead in Trails.

May/June: 3,499
July/August: 3,453
September/October: 3,382

Wrong direction.

What can we do?

TJK

Todd,

I would wager that if you look back through membership trends with the TLCA you'll see that slump EVERY summer. The slump tends to carry through with a LOT of different "hobby" membership numbers.

The biggest and best way to combat the attrition is to offer something people want, regardless of schedule or [most difficult] money.

Seriously, don't let the drop during the summer months worry you too much. But I do agree that certain things need to be addressed or changed.

HUGE for instance:

I've tried in the past to cater to "Family" and "Individual" members on the same plane. Anyone who has done this and succeeded will tell you that the cost of marketing alone out-weighs the reward. Especially with a smaller outfit like ours.

I think separate concepts should be tested. Aimed at the individual, aimed at family. You can factor the income and intangibles if felt necessary, but I doubt it's that big of a deal.

I'm interested in the short term planning that the TLCA has for membership. It can't simply be a "buzz" created by a few and an attempt to spread it to others. More concrete options are there that actually require (IMO) less direct effort.

I've heard of "The drive to 4,000" several times. Look, the easiest way to do that is the local dealerships. I know the owner/managers of SEVERAL dealerships here in Pensacola and they would be VERY, actually incredibly receptive to a team effort with an enthusiast club such as the TLCA.

I don't know figures on Toyota Land Cruiser sales, but consider a fraction of one percent of those who purchased a new/used Cruiser would so much as even take a "look" at TLCA.org or Ih8mud. I'm sure that number is in the hundreds.

Either way, I'm sure most of the folks spear-heading this are beyond my years in experience. I am willing to help and interested in the obstacles, however.

Tom IV

We have 14 more members than we did at this time last year. This after/during a major membership drive. Frustrating.

TJK

I get a bunch of junk mail for vehicles I am driving. Somehow these companies are able to get my information from some where.

Is there a way we could get lists of Land Cruiser Owners and send them mail about joing the TLCA, like an information packet with a copy of TT?

I found out about the TLCA through Mud. Never heard of it before or saw it anywhere. So those not on Mud and Pirate probably don't have a chance to know about the TLCA. It should include that you could save 20-25% on all your Toyota parts from the following dealers, . . . (there are 2 in Denver that I know of).

Maybe print up a information sheet and ask MAF, SOR, Rocky Mtn Cruisers, Cruiser Outfitters to include it with their orders.

Romer said:
Maybe print up a information sheet and ask MAF, SOR, Rocky Mtn Cruisers, Cruiser Outfitters to include it with their orders.

IMO, that is an excellent idea...there isn't a single order from Summit Racing that doesn't include additional info on products along with the invoice...I'll wager a number of TLCA vendors would be more than happy to include a single sheet of paper in their packages....

heck, make it a vendor contest....send each vendor 500 or so, one side is a TLCA application, other side is the information. On the appplication side, include a Reference (pre-filled with the vendor name if possible) and track this information...over 6 months, the winning vendor gets a free banner on the TLCA.org site, or a free print ad size upgrade, or free TLCA event access for a year, or something....

I can't search eBay for Cruiser parts without recognizing half of the people on there. As long as the sellers are respectable, you could have people include a small TLCA link in their listing. Just like adding a "tread lightly" signature...

TLCA - member #1234567890

I plan on bringing applications to the pig run next weekend to ask anyone not a member to join... maybe others can do the same for some of the non-sanctioned events, gatherings, trailrides.. heck, just keep some in the glovebox.. I read PismoJim was doing the same thing...

okay here comes the stupid question

Has TLCA ever considered "selling" the "Toyota Trail magazine" in big chain book stores?

We'd need a circulation of about 20,000 more folks before this would be a possibility.

TJK

so that means what? TLCA would need $500,000 ($25 x 20,000) to take a shot at the book stores. 15 years ago I would pick up copies of "phrack" at the big books stores. TLCA is a mainstream publication compared to that rag.

Phrack is a phone hacking rag

There must be more than 3,382 people interested in phone hacking, whatever that is.

TJK

Kaderabek said:
This after/during a major membership drive. Frustrating.

TJK

What plans / approaches were used?

I for one can't recall anything attention grabbing in recent memory.

I think the number one issue is to establish a target demographic. If you don't know WHO you're after you're just pissing in the wind. Once you've laid down the demo then you can tune your marketing toward that group.

Hell, even CCOT does a Cruiser Chick calendar. Why doesn't the TLCA? I can pretty much guarantee you results from something as simple as that. NOT to mention the fact that YOU SELL THEM to cover costs while drumming membership at the same time.

If that's not the avenue the TLCA is willing to go, or the demographic they're willing to target, then the target membership numbers need to change. It will be an uphill battle if we don't go after younger members with disposable income...[like me...more guys like me!!!.... :doh: ].

Again, just trying to help. :cheers: to the TLCA staff.

Recently....

Drive to 4,000 Membership Raffle.

Completely revamped the website.

Belton Spring Giveaway.

TLCA poster in production now.

Working with Toyota on some FJ Cruiser event tie-ins that should increase TLCA visibility.

TLCA doesn't do a calendar because Henry seems to have that covered.

For my part I try to make the magazine appealing. I help out with the rest of this but it's not really my area of expertise.

TJK

Who is Henry and how does he "help" the TLCA?

Poster is a great idea.

FJ Cruiser idea is great and will more than likely have a HUGE impact on the TLCA when it hits.....

Looks like a good start Todd.....keep working on it and it will come together!~

Henry Brimmer of Get Lost Productions. Used to be the Trails editor.

TJK

Multi year renewals are something we've implemented in the last month or so to try to help.
I'd like to see an auto-renew by credit card option, but it is not currently possible to implement ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom