So disapointed, So GM, Maybe not that different than a Yukon.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:bounce::bounce::bounce:I bought a TRDSE in Dec 2006, and for the first 100K it was a dream then at 103K I had a left front wheel bearing fail($1000) and a auto transmission failure($3800) out of the blue.
Brought in to the dealer for a shutter between 2nd and 3rd, they found a wheel bearing with an inch of play, replaced it and then I showed the dealership the shuddering, they were able to hook up and record it. They verified that the condition was not due to a low fluid condition.(fluid was changed at 92K)
They indicated that it needs a new transmission. $3800.
The SM called Toyota at my request and plead my case.
That case being:
No abuse
Toyota dealer maintenance since new
Highway miles
I have owned 8 Landcruisers, a Highlander , a Lexus ls 400 and a FJ since 1990.(owner loyalty to Toyota)
I still own a 1990 LC and a 1996 LC and a 2008 Hignlander.
Result: the Region Rep for Toyota gave me $1000 off the $3800 repair.
I called Corporate and they refused to do any more.
I informed them that I had bought my last new Toyota, after buying about $400,000 worth of Toyota's.
The SM is going to try to work the deal through his contacts, but I have no hope that they will do any more.
I am very saddened by the Customer focus of a Company that I thought was the eptitome of customer service and product reliability in the Landcruiser product offering.
I say all that to say this; I am very concerned about the FJ's reliabilty, if I had wheeled it hard in the MUD like some of you boys do, perhaps I'd feel better about these failures.
So Good luck with your FJ, 'cause all bets are off, these failures were so GM, that maybe your next purchase should be new or used Yukon cause when they get 100+K on them,I am I thinking they are more similar than we know .................gm

Stunning. You mean to say that a Toyota component failed?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yet, it doesn't rattle my confidence, I guess I've got another 40k to sell mine...

my growing suspicion is that Toyota USA isn't the Toyota we all knew from the days of yore.

Our pamperd Honda needed a new transmission at 70K.
At least Toyota designs their's to last 100K.
Our previous Toyota had an extended warranty to 100K.
We traded it at 99K.
Paranoid?
You Betcha!;)

I am starting to get paranoid myself. I am just under 100k and had the same transmission issue as you mentioned. That was last week and luckily it was replaced under warranty. And then today this..... Loud bang and then that nice clean differential fluid started to pour. Oh, what a feeling.....

RearDiff.jpg

Pretty good Brian. Every warranty voiding option and it was still covered. You must have missed something.;)

:bounce::bounce::bounce:I bought a TRDSE in Dec 2006, and for the first 100K it was a dream then at 103K I had a left front wheel bearing fail($1000)....

Curious how a wheel bearing ($40 part?) wound up costing $1000. Even if the spindle and the hub were destroyed, I just don't see $500 worth of parts. What was the labor breakdown?

Curious how a wheel bearing ($40 part?) wound up costing $1000. Even if the spindle and the hub were destroyed, I just don't see $500 worth of parts. What was the labor breakdown?

The unibearings are not cheap, as they function has a speedometer along as supporting the weight of the FJC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom