So... did I get bleepin' ticket? Yea, I'm an idiot!

I was stopped at a red light in a "T" intersection. I was in the FJ 60.
I'm looking for the street i need to turn right on (somewhere up ahead).

......................XXX <-me
-------------------------------

_____............___________
//////]---------[
//////]---------[
//////]---------[

Anyway, as I'm waiting, I find the street I'm lookin for, and decide "SURE DUMMY", why don't you just take off "RIGHT FREAKING NOW" in the middle of the "RED LIGHT"!.

I'm moving real slow, not even 3mph, and as I get to the middle of the intersection, I hear a "beep". :mad: Yea, I was going slow enough to hear it. I suspect it was a camera.

So, i come back around, and sure enough there's a little camera on top of the horizontal traffic signal pole, BUT on the far side of that intersection.

If a picture was taken, being that I was going so BRAIN FART slow, would the camera have caught my rear plate?

Where in the intersection do they snap a pic of you, and are they timed for speed?

Probably so if there was a camera there and the view of your plate is unobstructed. Here's a reasonable description of how some of these systems work: How Stuff Works

If the housing had a camera in it (not all do) and it did take a picture, about the only thing that will save you is bad lighting (brightly reflected sun or plate in deep shadow) or if too much of the number was obscured by a hitch or something similar for the plate to be read.

Thanks for the link. Here's what I copied, which could be my saving grace. I'll find out soon enough if I get a ticket in the mail.

For simplicity's sake, we'll only consider traffic moving in one direction through this intersection. When the light is green or yellow for incoming traffic, the computer ignores the triggers and does not activate the cameras. The system doesn't "turn on" until it receives a signal that the light is red. If you're already in the middle of the intersection when the light turns red, the system will not activate the cameras (this is not a traffic violation in most areas). Some systems wait a fraction of a second after the light turns red, to give drivers a "grace period."

In most systems, the computer will not activate the cameras if a car is just sitting over the induction loops. To trigger the cameras, you have to move over the loops at a particular speed. In most systems, there are two loop triggers for each lane of traffic. When the triggers are both activated in quick succession, the computer knows a car has moved into the intersection at high speed. If there is more of a delay, the computer knows the car is moving more slowly. If the car activates only the first trigger, the computer knows it is stopped at the edge of the intersection.
With any luck, I moved into the intersection too slowly to trigger the second camera, whereby the systems thinks I was in traffic congestion. I think I even paused in realization, when I heard the beep. :rolleyes:

bigndn

SOOOOOOOOOO...........fawk'em. If they send you a ticket in the mail with a pic of your rig..........send'em back a picture of enough money to cover the fine. Give their BS right back...........:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Top Bottom