So Apparently I need a trackbar and a Heavy Sway Bar... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any ideas on where to pick these up? I had a thread a while back about my 60 having too much of a side to side motion. I replaced the shocks, which helped, but it didnt completely resolve the problem.
I took it to my mechanic to make sure nothing was lose up front and he said i needed a Track bar for the back and a heavier sway bar up front. It's got 5" Alcans and 2" shackle

will the track bar impede articulation? I know the sway bar does, but i plan to put quick releases in it....can i do the same for the track bar?

also, where should i get them?

The trac bar would be to limit damaging wheel hop. If you are hard on the skinny pedal while wheeling and either have low gearing (numerically higher) or a V-8 swapped in, then it's a likely issue. I don't see where a trac bar would limit side to side sway, as you describe.

As far as the sway bar, keep the stock one up front and get a used rear one from a 62 from 'Mud classifieds. You'll have to get or make the axle attachment points and have them welded in place along with extended sway bar links.

my 86 FJ60 had the mounts on the axle and the mount points in the frame for a rear sway bar.

mine is an 83 so im guessing the mounts wont be there.

No they won't. You can get the whole setup from a wrecked 60, but it is pain to weld the mounts to the axles and the brackets for the sway bar connects to the frame.

Probably that is not your problem. My 60 runs without rear sway bar and did what you were describing, especially when heavily loaded. I added 2 leafs to the rear springs and that completely solved the problem.

J

No they won't. You can get the whole setup from a wrecked 60, but it is pain to weld the mounts to the axles and the brackets for the sway bar connects to the frame.

Probably that is not your problem. My 60 runs without rear sway bar and did what you were describing, especially when heavily loaded. I added 2 leafs to the rear springs and that completely solved the problem.

J

i was looking at my leafs and it almost looks as though there is one missing from the front. These are Alcan springs so i am not sure of the count up front.

I think im going to just switch them out as these might have too many trail miles on them.

Sounds like the springs may just be worn out and tired. The extended shackles probably are not helping either. What shape are the bushings in?

Sway bars will definately hamper the articulation. Off road they need to be disconnected which is inconvenient at best. Pulled the front and rear sway bars off my 62 years ago and have never missed them. Did not put them on my diesel when I swapped the axles off my 62.

Seems odd that you are noticing sway in the front end, more common to the rear end. Is the rig spring under or spring over?

Tony

If your truck has some side-to-side motion, then your mechanic means this sort of track bar:

jeep-front-end-break-down.jpg

I'd also try swapping out your bushings first.

^^Nope, that sort of trac bar just locates the axle under the rig, it will not address body roll. On leaf sprung vehicles, a 'trac bar' in the rear generally refers to traction bars aka ladder bars, which affect wheel hop.

I think the two main factors are a tallish, supple lift (5") and expectations from your former 100 series driving experience.

Edit: Sigh.....After finding Liam's original thread, disregard most of what I've said. To me, 'side to side' meant body roll not 'wandering' on the road, especially when sway bars were referred to as a possible solution.

Last edited:
that pic shows a panhard bar... or functional equivalent.

t

snipped
^^Nope, that sort of trac bar just locates the axle under the rig, it will not address body roll. On leaf sprung vehicles, a 'trac bar' in the rear generally refers to traction bars aka ladder bars, which affect wheel hop.
FWIW the term 'trac bar' being applied to any sort of traction link(age) is a misuse of the term. Trac-Bar stems from "Track Bar" aka Panhard Rod and is specific to link(ages) that laterally locate an axle. "Track" meaning how the vehicle travels down the road, i.e. does it track straight or does it wander down the road.

I suspect that the misuse comes from being too lazy to type out "traction bar". Hard to clearly communicate when folks use terms still in use to mean other things.

A "Traction bar" is used to combat spring wrap. Not an issue in an SUA rig. A "Track bar" is another name for a panhard bar. Not used in leaf spring applications and it will cause bind if you do install one and eventually damage components.

There is no need for a rear anti sway bar on an SUA '60.

Find another mechanic who knows what he is talking about.

Mark...

When is it swaying back and forth?
if i remember right your 60 had a Aussie locker in the rear which will make it do that on acceleration and under some normal driving conditions.

A "Traction bar" is used to combat spring wrap. Not an issue in an SUA rig. A "Track bar" is another name for a panhard bar. Not used in leaf spring applications and it will cause bind if you do install one and eventually damage components.

There is no need for a rear anti sway bar on an SUA '60.

Find another mechanic who knows what he is talking about.

Mark...
Not to nit-pick because I agree with Mark's statement about not using a track bar, but only in the off road use context. In a road race or corner carving street car application where the total wheel travel is maybe 4" a track bar with leaf springs can be a good thing.

What type of shocks did you install? Better/ adjustable shocks can tune out a lot of problems.

Jeep used them on wranglers from 84-until the TJs, both front and rear.

Not that they needed to.

img1401l.jpg

I don't see a track bar here. A track bar will attach like a panhard bar. On end to the frame and the other to the axle to restrict lateral movement.

Edit: I do see it.... I was having trouble seeing where that upper bar attached. I will stand by my comments thouhg. Jeep may have done it but it is a bad idea for any rig that sees articulation and off road use.

Since it will also induce a bit of lateral shift as the suspension droops and compresses, it will bind with used with leaf springs as it forces them sideways when they are not meant to shift sideways. This wears bushing and, in the case of added on setups, can crack frames or other components in the setup over time.

Seen it a few times over the years when guys tried to address wandering sloppy suspensions without understanding exactly what was going on.

Mark...

Not to nit-pick because I agree with Mark's statement about not using a track bar, but only in the off road use context. In a road race or corner carving street car application where the total wheel travel is maybe 4" a track bar with leaf springs can be a good thing.

Agreed. I should have specified I was talking about our Cruisers. A track bar and leaf springs can work fine for a road racing application where suspension travel is minimal. Of course leaf srpung road racing is pretty darn old school. ;)

Mark...

I don't see a track bar here. A track bar will attach like a panhard bar. On end to the frame and the other to the axle to restrict lateral movement.

Edit: I do see it.... I was having trouble seeing where that upper bar attached. I will stand by my comments thouhg. Jeep may have done it but it is a bad idea for any rig that sees articulation and off road use.

Since it will also induce a bit of lateral shift as the suspension droops and compresses, it will bind with used with leaf springs as it forces them sideways when they are not meant to shift sideways. This wears bushing and, in the case of added on setups, can crack frames or other components in the setup over time.

Seen it a few times over the years when guys tried to address wandering sloppy suspensions without understanding exactly what was going on.

Mark...

Chrysler has spent thousands of dollars on minimizing death wobble on cars. The panhard bar on leaf sprung vehicles is one of the "solutions"

My F350 has a panhard bar and leaves as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom