So Apparently I need a trackbar and a Heavy Sway Bar... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My info was from an engineer at Chrysler.

Google "death wobble Chrysler".

lots of examples and TSB's.

My FJ62 has sway bars at both ends. After reading all this, I'm curious to see how it drives without the sway bars. It alwasy felft very tight/buttoned down when off road. It sometimes felt jarring going over rocks and bumps. I always wondered why there seemed to be very little articulation, even with a 2 1/2 lift..

be careful what you wish for......

Chrysler has spent thousands of dollars on minimizing death wobble on cars. The panhard bar on leaf sprung vehicles is one of the "solutions"

My F350 has a panhard bar and leaves as well.

But your F350 is designed with minimal suspension travel in mind. Not really intended to see routine articulation in the uneven terrain that we all seek out in our Cruisers. If you are willing to accept that in your Cruiser, then this... solution... is doable.

"Thousands of dollars..." LOL... yep, I bet they have at that. :)

Mark...

What type of shocks did you install? Better/ adjustable shocks can tune out a lot of problems.

installed Billstiens with the heaviest valving available. it did help quite a bit but i think i will need to get new leaf set up and shorter shackles. however, i want to stick with at least 6" of lift.

here is a shot of the shackles, a bad shot, but it's the only one i have right now.
DSCN0631.jpg

If you MUST have 6 inches then go SOA. Mine is SOA on lift springs (leaf removed) with extended shackles and it rides great.

But your F350 is designed with minimal suspension travel in mind. Not really intended to see routine articulation in the uneven terrain that we all seek out in our Cruisers. If you are willing to accept that in your Cruiser, then this... solution... is doable.

"Thousands of dollars..." LOL... yep, I bet they have at that. :)

Mark...

I was not reccommending it as a solution. I think it is a horrid idea for a leaf sprung truck.

But, there are reasons for it.

Reduces bump steer as well.

Yes, I agree... terrible idea on a Cruiser. I have repaired two frames where the mount tore out under articulation... one of the local garage enthusiest/small shops was pushing them as the way to keep sloppy suspension drivable under jeeps and Cruisers.

But under something like an F350 or a 1970 mustang turned into a period correct road racer it can serve a purpose.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom