Snowshoeing Geocaching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOY350

#1 Super Guy
SILVER Star
Threads
Thanks to FlyRod I was able to traverse a snowy wind blown clearcut ridge on our way to a geocache this weekend. I buried the front of the 80 on Saturday on the ridge and was winched out from behind by my 40 that my Dad has. We hiked a ways but couldn't get to the cache. Today (Sunday) we tackled it again and when we got to the ridge you couldn't even tell I had driven there only hours before, it was deep and packed but you still would sink in past your knees trying to walk. My boy was light enough to walk on top, my Dad brought a set of old snow shoes and I used the pair that FlyRod gave us to try. They worked great and saved a very rough hike across the ridge. Thanks again FlyRod!

Travis I need you to help me out and deposit an item in that cache for me since we forgot while there :doh:

You can see the 3 different tracks we left as we began our adventure!
016 Tie One On A.jpg
016 Tie One On C.jpg
016 Tie One On D.jpg

Looks like a great weekend :D

Believe it or not my wife actually dragged my lazy ass up to Mt A to showshoe yesterday. I forgot how fun it is. I am glad those one are working out for you.

Thank you too FlyRod as those came in quite handy for me as well.
I made a bit better time, but I was alone so that helped quite a bit. Hind sight I think since I was trying to make good time I would have left my load and just carried me...but I am still trying to get in shape for Shasta so this was a good conditioning run.

Here is a photo of the view, sorry it's from my cell so the quality isn't great:
0216091153.jpg

Quite a bit of melt off on the trees already. Nice job Knolly, what was your total time from the rig and back?

And thanks for helping out with the pog.

Last edited:
11:36 stepped off and was driving again at 12:14 so ... 38 minutes if I did the math correctly. I did take five or so at the stump. And there was still plenty of snow in the trees, I almost got taken out by a large pile while I was taking my break :grinpimp: And I did take a more direct (and less obstructed) most of the way back. And hind sight I should have put the snow shoes back to cross back to the cruiser, but just sludged thru the drifts instead.

And you're welcome! Thank you for turning me onto this sweet addiction!!!!! :)

Sweet, I think I guessed you could knock it about between 30-45 minutes so I was right on.

Ahh yes you were! I was thinkin' you meant one way... You were right on, had I not worn my duece gear and left the AR in the Cruiser I would have made much better time. Thank you again for blazing that trail :grinpimp:

Ah, I think you're right. One way I guessed 30-45 so you did make good time.

:grinpimp: You set me up for success :)

When I first got my garmin I start doing a little research on the whole Geocaching thing.... then got sidetracked (shocker I know).

I understand the principal. But any guidance on where to start. Is there a particular website or something?

Looks like a alot of fun.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Just set up a free profile, don't forget to confirm your profile with the email confirmation thing or you won't get coordinates. It's really so much fun...I thought I'd like it, but SK and I are a bit addicted now :) but in a good way.

Sweet, Done. Pretty cool. Im on a mission now! :D

Good hunting!!!! And just a hint, when they say nano they mean about the size of a horse pill. And I've found the GPS will get ya close, but it's all about the info, title and finally if all else fails....the hint. SK and I make a great team cuz I've got the land nav down, and she's good at the "hunt".

Preparing to hide our first 2 caches very soon :clap:

Ooooh!! FTF?

:hmm: FTF??
First to Find... Failure to Find... Failed to Fix.... Finalization Task Force.... First Things First... or my personal fav. For the Fame :p

Well for the Fame of course! First to find in this instance....I haven't done that yet and would like to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom