Snow Wheelin' Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK guys, I really want to head out on a snow run with you this
winter. I have 2 sets of tires that I alternate depending on
terrain. I do not have a lot of snow wheelin' experience although I
did grow up in PA and drove in snow every winter. Anyways...would I
have better luck with 295x75 Nitto Terra grapplers or 315x75 Dunlop
Mud Rovers? Both have good tread. My thought is the Nittos, since
they have nice siping, they may float better aired down.

If you're a skier you know that the characteristics of snow vary widely so the characteristics of the best tread would vary also with the snow. But since you have a siped set that's most likely the best choice for you.

Not a skier...thanks

There are a couple of major considerations (well, many more but here are two I think are generally underrated). First, snow traction is largely based on linear inches of siping or tread in contact with the snow. It's not lugs, like for mud. My AT's grabbed better in soft snow than my MT's. So, a siped tire is good (as a side note, I haven't checked but I heard Santa Fe Discount Tire is again siping). Second is diameter. Bigger diameter is bigger ground clearance, especially desirable when a pack in front of you is running 33's and you're running 31's...

Then of course there's Big Daddy Mo...

Pray for a big storm Wednesday and Thursday!

Well, the 295 Nittos are larger than a 33" and AT's so they are naturally siped. While, the 315 Dunlops are larger than a 34" (not quite a 35") so they win in the diameter contest. It seems as if it is 6 one way and 1/2 dozen the other...

Anyone know where I can get some chains locally?

I'm prayin' for more snow!

I got mine through tirechains.com. Quick delivery, but not local.

Possibility of a snow run Saturday for me. Anybody interested? Guess I should start a new thread...

Jim,

Depending on the depth and consistency of snow, you could use either tires. I'd imagine that for deep and heavy snow, the mud tires will do fairly well. For on road or the light stuff, the Nitto should provide better traction and stopping power.

I'm in the market for a set of tire chains as well but the only thing found locally is through NAPA. Their commercial chains will set you back about $200 a pair. However, if you do a search on this site, you'll see plenty of folks that are sourcing their chains from various vendors. All of which are not local to us unfortunately!

Ali

Thanks for the tips guys...no snow run for me this weekend. I need to re-install my front diff still...(broke in Moab)

I bought a set of chains a couple years ago at Walmart - $60. Although they may have 33"s as the largest tire they'd fit.

The Carquest warehouse on Hawkins. Talk to Dave or Tony.

For a set of 315 75 16 tires, they charge $275 and not in stock. P/N 3831, Quality Chains
They don't have anything for 35" tires with 16" rim.

Bridgestone Blizard Tires

I have use these tires on two trucks and a sabb. The grip is incredible for both acceleration and stopping. If there is any problem it is that the grip is so good you can become overconfident.

Just an FYI, I ran the 295 Nitto's at 10psi on the 1/7 snow run. I was happy with how they performed. I will switch to the 315 MT's for a comparison in the next week or so.

FYI I just checked with Discount Tire in Santa Fe and they do not (despite what the Alameda store told me) have a siping machine. Peerless in Santa Fe said they took their's out and are getting a new one in about a month.

FWIW, I plan on joining you all on Saturday 3/10.

I switched my 295 Nitto's out for the 315 MT's today. We shall see how they do in comparison. Although, the snow will be completely different this time I'm sure.

I also bought a set of chains for the 315's. I tried them today and they will not work on the front due to the location of the upper ball joint with IFS. I can run them on the rear, I guess one set is better than none.

I'll bring them both so someone else can try them out.

See you guys Saturday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom