Snow Wheelin'...how deep? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am itching to go out, just curious though...What is the deepest snow you all have successfully wheeled with 33"~35" tires?

1108962767_p2190023.jpg

This was last winter (or maybe the winter before). I slid into the ditch on the drivers side and forward progress was stopped since I was effectively high centered. I was on 285's (32's) with street pressure here. This was more than a foot of snow. I would think I could traverse twice this depth with lower tire pressure and larger tires.

What has been your experience?

Last edited:
Nice web site, Mike!

juane tobascofish

I am itching to go out, just curious though...What is the deepest snow you all have successfully wheeled with 33"~35" tires?
there's one way to find out! when you start getting stuck every 5 feet, you are at the limit. :D let's go and see!

treeroot, that makes me want to get out there NOW! looks like fun.

Depends on how heavy the snow is. We did some really light snow in the Jemez a couple of years ago that was between 2 and 3 feet deep. Snow was coming over the hood on my 80, but as long as I kept momentum we kept forward progress. Once stopped I had to back up and get a run at it. At the time I was leading with 33's. One of the funnest snow runs I've been on. Then again, I've been pretty much stopped by 18 inches of heavy stuff.

What has been your experience?

On the Super Bowl trip about 2 years ago, we had 7 trucks (all wagons as I recall) and we were all stuck at the same time. Most of the trail was ~12" but the bowls got deep and we got into one with ~18". It probably took us 2 hours to get all the trucks through that one section. I am pretty sure everyone was on 33" tires or 31" tires; nothing larger and nobody had chains on.

Make sure your engine is running 100% because it will get a real workout when you are the lead truck and trying to break trail. Juane had a great picture (video ?? ) of David's V8 FJ60 breaking trail. He had rooster tails going from all 4 wheels and snow was going everywhere.

-Mike-

Depends on how heavy the snow is. We did some really light snow in the Jemez a couple of years ago that was between 2 and 3 feet deep.

That was the Super Bowl run I was remembering. Everyone got a chance to break trail during the day and I had snow coming over the hood too! Had to run the windshield wipers to see in front of the truck. 3500+ RPM in Low Range! Lotsa Fun!

Snow_Run.jpeg

-Mike-

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great replies guys...I can't wait to get out there.

ive done over 3 feet in a pig not including the snow drifts which most where 4 feet;) .thats where i learned how to drive

Well, I think I answered my question yesterday.

There was close to 3' of now in places but as the lead truck breaking new ground, I would say we were successfully driving though ~2' and staying on top of about a foot. There were times when forward momentum would stop but I could always back up and go again (except once when I pulled off to the side of the trail and Steve had to strap me out).

My most successful combination was 10psi, double locked, stock low range, and 2nd gear. When I could maintain about 2500 RPMs with that combo I could make good progress.

I think a set of chains would be awesome.

1168231678_p1070161.jpg

Agreed on your tire chain observation. IMO, if you wanna actually get somewhere in the deep stuff, then chains are required. Otherwise, most of the time is spent making slow forward progress and spending extra fuel! Did you guys climb any hills by any chance?

Chains work especialy well if there is ice below the snow.

Vince

Did you guys climb any hills by any chance?

Yes, Steve should have the GPS map to show elevation. In fact, most of the "way in" was up hill. It took us about 3 hours to drive in, and 15 about minutes to drive out after we turned around. I would love to go back to the same trail and see how much further we could go.

Yep - Here's the map. The intersection of NM 126 and FS 103 is 13 1/2 miles east of Cuba.
Run 070107-s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom