Snow Wall Collision - Fender and Bumper Repair Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team -

So - slid into a snow/ice wall up skiing at 2-3mph last weekend. Slow motion trainwreck style. So frustrating.

Damage: Driver's side fender, turn signal housing, cracked the bumper.

Quotes: Local body shops quoting $2100 - $3900 for full repair, which I would claim on my insurance. Which I'm not feeling super stoked on.

Alternative thought (seeking advice here):

1. buy a fender out of a yard (or car-part.com) and get it painted/installed as necessary
2. can reinstall a fresh turn signal housing myself
3. use the cracked bumper as my excuse to get an ARB front bumper

Only issue I'm running into on sourcing the part on car-part.com is that nobody wants to ship the fender. Learning thats common?

Am I on track/off track? Any advice would be appreciated!
Fender.jpg

Junkyard fender and check your local LC forums for bumper skins.

Corners are a pretty common part I see left over on 100's at salvage yards. The headlights go in hours, but the corner/turns don't go right away so you should be able to find the one you need relatively easy.

Good news here -

Found a local body work wizard. My neighbor says back in the day they called these guys 'panel bangers.'

Anyway, for $350 this guy took all the damage out of my existing panel, and repainted. In my driveway. I still can't believe it.

Last piece of the puzzle - the piece that stabilizes the headlight housing against the frame, and also attaches to the turn signal housing snapped off during the collision. Anybody have a good idea on how to re-stabilize the headlight housing? I'm thinking that I will fabricate 2 pieces of metal to bolt into the existing bolt holes in the frame?

fixed.jpg

housing damage.jpg

I might have the parts you need. I have spare corners, both clear and with amber, and a set of headlights. I'll check today if the headlights have the bracket you need.

Reactions: MJK
I started doing body/paint work in the last couple years. Wizard is exactly the right term for good body/PDR guys. It's hard to fathom how they do what they do and I think that appreciation has only grown since I learned a little more myself.

Awesome you found someone to do that and even repaint. For $350, that's outstanding.

Took one for the team there, not bad work swinging your own hammer! Makes me feel slightly better about my situation. At least you still had a nice clean OEM bumper to stick back on there, haha.

Wow. Great to hear it did it’s job. Any clue how fast?
Really no idea, maybe 10-15mph. Was towing a helpless friend in an F150 through a rutted, narrow and incredibly muddy road and started slipping left very deep. Steered hard right and gunned it, suddenly got traction and went straight into a tree. Trust me I will forever be an idiot for not just relaxing and winching out. Drove it home though.

Good news here -

Found a local body work wizard. My neighbor says back in the day they called these guys 'panel bangers.'

Anyway, for $350 this guy took all the damage out of my existing panel, and repainted. In my driveway. I still can't believe it.

Last piece of the puzzle - the piece that stabilizes the headlight housing against the frame, and also attaches to the turn signal housing snapped off during the collision. Anybody have a good idea on how to re-stabilize the headlight housing? I'm thinking that I will fabricate 2 pieces of metal to bolt into the existing bolt holes in the frame?

View attachment 2623726

View attachment 2623727
Can you refer me to your guy? I’ve got similar damage from a run in with a tree from this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom