Snow run this weekend - Cibola Forest/Cedro Peak area! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this is short notice but if anyone wants to do a short run through Cibola Forest (near Tijeras) this weekend let me know. I'm open sat or sun. This trail is about 10 miles long and consist of two tracks with lots of wide open space. Bring the dogs and kids for snow fun. The trail will exit at the base of the Cedro Peak cell tower. If we feel adventurous, we can hike the 1/2 mile up to the top for a great view.

I ran the trail last weekend and it took me about three hours. It will probably take at least four hours with the snow and deep ruts. The trail is pretty easy for the most part except in two places through the trees where you have to careful.

If you're interested, let's meet up at 10:00 am across the Chevron gas station at exit #178 (Zuzax exit off I-40) on either Sat or Sun. At 10:30 we will leave for the trail head which is only five miles from the Chevron station.

There will be snow and it'll be cold so prepare accordingly! Let me know which day works for you!

Thanks.

Ali

Last edited:
Ali,

I would love to run that trail but this weekend is booked solid for me. Please take some pics and post a report. If anyone needs to borrow a radio then let me know. My house is not far out of the way when you're headed through the canyon on I-40.

Have fun guys!

-Mike-

I'm certainly game. I need to talk to my brother and see what he wants to do, but either day will probably work for me as well.

Mike.... I might need to come borrow that CB again. Santa hasn't visited yet :)

... I might need to come borrow that CB again. Santa hasn't visited yet :)

I will PM you directions to the house and where the radio will be stashed in case we are not home (which is very likely.)

-Mike-

Sounds like fun. I was south on 337 last night and I had to use my ARBs to get in to my friend's driveway. There is a lot of snow in the mountains! Unfortunately I will be back in Reno for the holidays so I can't make it. Have fun and be safe out there!

...snip...I was south on 337 last night...

great. i have to work up there tomorrow and drive a firetruck up peoples driveways. good thing the fire truck is a 4x4!:grinpimp: i haven't gotten to lock that baby up into 4x4 in a couple years.

:D
great. i have to work up there tomorrow and drive a firetruck up peoples driveways. good thing the fire truck is a 4x4!:grinpimp: i haven't gotten to lock that baby up into 4x4 in a couple years.

Any chance you can bring the fire truck wheeling? :D

:D

Any chance you can bring the fire truck wheeling? :D

you got a winch big enough to pull me out if i get stuck? :flipoff2:
the 12k pounder i have on it (yes it has a winch) ain't even close.

Ok, let's meet Saturday at the designated spot at 10 am.
Ali

Last edited:
Ali,

Thanks for organizing the run today. I had a great time hanging out with you and Rory and all the dogs.

For all of you that didn't make it... you missed lots of snow. It was a fairly tame run except for one hill that the snow was about a foot or so deep with ice underneath. Ali had to winch himself up and then give Rory a tug up the last 20 or so feet. They had plowed it pretty well for me, so I was able to get within about 2 feet of the crest, but I couldn't quite make it on my own so Ali pulled me the last little bit. The Lazy Lizard was a good place to stop for a cold beer and a little snack after the run.

See you guys again soon. Were we planning anything for New Year's Day? If so, I'm in!!!

Got some pics to post, but I am still learning the navigation on or new computer. Macs are different and the same... kinda frustrating . So bear with me as this is kinda a test <beep>

P1010437.jpg

Awesome!! It looks like it worked thanks to Beo for the IMG tip. Here are some more...

just about the beginning of it all...
P1010421.jpg

more of the same
P1010423.jpg

here is Mike...
P1010424.jpg

P1010427.jpg

P1010426.jpg

Awesome scenery
P1010429.jpg

P1010441.jpg

P1010442.jpg

no kids this trip, insteead we had to make stops to let the dogs play:)
P1010434.jpg

Alright, looks like it works. A little fuzzy but oh well.

It was a great time, much thanks to Ali for hanging out with the newbies. And not leaving us stranded as a harsh initiation... :eek:
The Turtle Mountain in Rio Rancho is a lot better than the Lazy Lizard, but that stout sure was good:cheers:

It was most fun indeed. For most of the trail, the vehicles drove themselves like slot cars. The trail was eight miles long and took us about three hours.

Looking forward to doing again soon! I can't load images from my yahoo site so here is the link:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/alia176/album/576460762380676115

Here's a pic of rory!
rory_smaller.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a fun day in the snow. Any pics of the fun at the icy hill. :D

-Mike-

One of the videos that Rory linked was me getting winched up the last 2 feet. I think he may have another video of me "slangin" some snow. I will get with my brother too... he took a lot of pics but seems to have a corrupted media card in his camera.... it is reading the pics in his camera but not when I plug it into a card reader. I will post up what he has once we get it sorted out.

sorry mike didn't mean to diss you.. ;p here you go. I didn't get the first half of your sprint because I was running out of the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom