Snow Run - Super Bowl Sunday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you tell us how the Emergency was transmitted? Did the sender follow the protocol as we learned from the studies? I need to know in case I need to do this some day. Short term memory is very spotty for me these days.

Nice pics of the area.

Can you tell us how the Emergency was transmitted? Did the sender follow the protocol as we learned from the studies? I need to know in case I need to do this some day. Short term memory is very spotty for me these days.

Sort of no. There was no "mayday, mayday, mayday." He just came on with his ID, and said there was an accident on 550 and requested somebody call state police. He didn't say it was an emergency, though that word was used by the guy that responded. He did follow the protocol in not waiting for a reply before giving the details. Since the ML system was clear he didn't need to break in.

That picture under my hood shows a broken wire coming off the aux battery to the isolator. The aux battery runs the CB, 2M, and dash outlets, among other things. It appeared the battery jiggled just enough to break the ring terminal on the isolator.

Jon,
I thought of a fix for future breaks of that wire. I use them in my designs at work very frequently.

Make a service loop with the wire. Instead of the 4" piece that you have going 'straight' between the two terminals, make the wire about 8" long and have it make one complete circle (like a stylized cartoon pig's tail) before connecting it to the terminal on that device mounted to the fender.

Then, the loop will take most of the stress as the battery box bounces around during off-road driving. That will reduce the stress on the eye terminal, which is what I believe caused the fatigue and eventual failure right along the edge of the washers.

Make a service loop with the wire.

Good idea. My temporary fix does exactly that, only the wire is way longer because it was already made up and available. The wire I used is also made up of large strands and is not very flexable. I'm going to see if I can find some 10 gauge with smaller strands that might flex better.

Jon,
I thought of a fix for future breaks of that wire. I use them in my designs at work very frequently.

Make a service loop with the wire. Instead of the 4" piece that you have going 'straight' between the two terminals, make the wire about 8" long and have it make one complete circle (like a stylized cartoon pig's tail) before connecting it to the terminal on that device mounted to the fender.

Then, the loop will take most of the stress as the battery box bounces around during off-road driving. That will reduce the stress on the eye terminal, which is what I believe caused the fatigue and eventual failure right along the edge of the washers.

Excellent info, I should use this philosophy for all of my future wiring projects!

Not only is it a stress reliever but it leaves room for future reterminations.

and it is a requirement of J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 :cool:

OK, like what ever that is :rolleyes:.

I had another idea in the shower tonight. Installing a Maxi-fuse holder between the battery and the isolator. Just crimp rings on either end of the leads, drop in a 60A fuse, and call it done. Either that or get a fuseable link.

Talking about snow, Jon Stewart "loves it". That's what they showed he said just now on Channel 7 news...

not sure if you asked, but...

"IPC-A-610 is the most widely used electronics assembly standard in the world. A must for all quality assurance and assembly departments, IPC-A-610D illustrates industry-accepted workmanship criteria for electronics assemblies through full-color photographs and illustrations. Topics include lead free, component orientation and soldering criteria for through-hole, SMT and discrete wiring assemblies, mechanical assembly, cleaning, marking, coating, and laminate requirements."

J-STD-001 is the same but with more words and less pictures. I have to get certified every two years, fun stuff...

I had another idea in the shower tonight. Installing a Maxi-fuse holder between the battery and the isolator. Just crimp rings on either end of the leads, drop in a 60A fuse, and call it done. Either that or get a fuseable link.

How about a 60 amp resetteble circuit breaker instead?

100 & 150 amp example but you should be able to find a 60 amp locally.

Talking about snow, Jon Stewart "loves it". That's what they showed he said just now on Channel 7 news...

WOW! All of .15 second of fame. At least they didn't show the rest of the interview. I still don't think she believes my name is really Jon Stewart, and spelled the same way even. "[sigh]Yes ... just like the guy on TV."

Linky

Does it seem like the local TV stations are seeking out HDC members or do our single guys just hang out on the city streets all the time?

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom