Snow Run on Saturday, March 10 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who's going on Saturday? The plan is to meet at the North Portal (550 & 528) at 9:00 AM, and then we'll meet the northern contingent at La Cueva in the Jemez at 10:30.

Ellen and I will be there in the 80. This may be the last chance for snow-wheeling this season - hope to see everyone out there!

Evan

I am planning on it.

we should be there. barring any problems loading up tomorrow with the cruiser.:D

I will not make it after all. I didn't get enough done during the week, so I will have to work this weekend.:crybaby:

Hey everybody!!!

I'm in town for work, would LOVE to go but I need to be working. I'll be back off and on so I'll go for a run sometime.

I'll try to meet up and say hi at the North Portal though. I can sneak away from work for a bit. Look for me, I'm in a tiny white rental car...

I'll be on duty.

I can't make it!

Snow Run Report

Snow run Report:

We had a great time. For those of you that "H8 Mud," you might not have liked it. There was PLENTY of mud. We only had three rigs this time. Shawn, Jill, and the boys in the Bionic 40, Kevin Smith, his wife Taylor, and their daughter in their maroon 80, and Ellen and I in our 80.

Some of you may remember Kevin's family and/or their 80. He has been on runs with us in the past, but not for a while. They have a clean maroon FJ80, that I think is stock with the exception of some steel 15 inch wheels and 33 inch mud tires.

We started off at Fenton Lake, aired down and headed out 126. Did I mention lots of mud? We made it past the turnoff to the Girl Scout Camp, and turned right on the Powerline Road. We were disappointed to see that a Jeep Liberty with a snowmobile trailer was parked right in the middle of the road. Had we tried to go around, we would have been right on (or over the edge) of a dangerous incline into the stream. However, the trailer was light, so we just picked it up and moved it over a few feet. Now that Jeep was still in the way, but it is parked on ice. Sure enough, a few hefty shoves and both the rig and the trailer were out of the way.

We proceeded up the road and had a lunch break in the sunshine. Now on to the real business of the day - getting stuck. Shawn led the way, then Kevin, and I was the gunner. It didn't take long for Kevin to get stuck, and then Shawn. I pulled Kevin out, Kevin pulled Shawn out, etc. The snow was very wet and heavy. Once it was packed down, it set up very hard. Unless your tires dug a hole in it, then the tires were set in snow concrete.

We had a good time. Turned around to head out around 3:30 or so. As we were getting unstuck for the last time, here comes a snowmobiler down the road. He drops off two passengers to walk down the hill and blasts around us in the ditch down to his vehicle. Uh oh, here he comes back up the road at a very high rate of speed. We were sure he wanted to discuss the intelligence we showed in pushing his truck and trailer out of the way where he had so stupidly parked. Instead, he told Taylor that he had snowmobile buddies that were stuck in the boonies and he had gotten a rope to pull them out - didn't seem to notice that his truck and trailer weren't in the same spot where he had left them earlier. (Ellen and I did see the Jeep later with two snowmobiles in tow - so they got out OK.)

We headed back through the mud and stopped for a nice dinner at Los Ojos in Jemez Springs - man, are those burritos huge! Shawn had only a little spot in his windshield that he could see out of, other than that his whole truck was covered in mud. Mine wasn't too much better, since my mud flaps were not along for the ride. Kevin's 80 with mud flaps wasn't quite as filthy.

We actually had some snow flurries as we were driving out of the Jemez. A fitting end to a snow run.

Evan

That sounds like a lot more fun than the long overdue yardwork I did yesterday and today - sifting sand out of landscaping rock and moving it from the back to front yard.

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom