Snow Plow. Bad Idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking of getting a snowplow for my 40 one of these days. We've had a slew of snow and while I need the exercise, the shoveling is taking too long and interferes with the workday.

Will I tweek my frame plowing snow in my drive and some of the neighbors? I'm not planning on making a business of it. Just light plowing throughout the winter.

Anyone especially like a certain brand and whats it going to set me back to get a decent set up?

I have the bumper off on my 72 because that's all I use it for is snowplowing, a little easier to install and I don't need a bumper on it.

The other one I mentioned, 78 FJ40 for a doctor in town I installed one for about 7 years ago, we left his bumper/brushguard on. You would have to remove those triangle brackets on the outside of the frame. We put them back on that 78 between the 1/2" plate and the frame. Slightly slotted the holes on his brushguard/bumper and re-installed it, it looked very professional. I could try to get a photo of his if you want?

One drawback is, if your into rockcrawling and that stuff your approach angle would be drasticlly decreased with that mount haning down.

Matt

I picked up this OEM style Meyer Plow for $500 in Colorado. The plow has power angle and lift. It's my cookie getter.. everytime I plow the street cookies show up at my house. :) :)

BTW..it is a simple bolt on setup that takes only a few minutes to attache the mount to the frame. got more pics if intersted.

I might have to start calling mine the cookiegetter2, I get the same thing when I plow 4 of my neighbors driveways :) :) :).

I was also going to mention something else (but forgot). I was at HomeDepot on Saturday in Fargo, ND. They had a orange plow out front on display, I can't remember what they called it.?? But, it is the exact same thing I have made my snowbear, they had a price tag on it of $999.00, thought that was pretty cheap. Snowbear makes it for them, sprays it orange and calls it something else.

An idea I had for a mount, at least for a snowbear. If you have seen front bumpers that have a reciever hitch mount, 2" x 2" built directly into the center of the bumper. If you could build or buy a front bumper that had 2 of those installed in the front bumper, let say 2 feet apart. You could mount the x-bar for a snowbear to 2 reciever mounts and slide it in. You would be able to remove it quickly and it wouldn't hang down below the bumper either.

The snowbear doesn't weigh that much, that's why it only needs to be mounted up in the front.

Just an idea, I don't think it would be to hard to do.

FISHER makes an outstanding plow..dont know if they make one for the FJ though. My buddy has one on his taco and it is great.

Western Plows stink my future father in law has one on his taco and..it has been non stop PITA for him. I just helped him rebuild the hydraulic pump about 2 weeks ago..it is only 3 years old. Granted they live in northern vermont..so the snow gets pretty hairy there. But he cant find parts anywhere..so we had to jerryrig it together from auto parts store parts.

Fisher use to make a plow for the 40s' I have a dealer broucure from Fisher for the fj40 plow, vintage late 60;s early 70's.

John H

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=1;threadid=9405;start=msg82173#msg82173 date=1072821975]
FISHER makes an outstanding plow..dont know if they make one for the FJ though. My buddy has one on his taco and it is great.

Western Plows stink my future father in law has one on his taco and..it has been non stop PITA for him. I just helped him rebuild the hydraulic pump about 2 weeks ago..it is only 3 years old. Granted they live in northern vermont..so the snow gets pretty hairy there. But he cant find parts anywhere..so we had to jerryrig it together from auto parts store parts.
[/quote]

That's weird cuz I had bad luck with a Fisher and loved the Western. The western is still goin after 10 northern VT winters on a commercial plow (F450). The Fisher cracked the lower mount and the pump leaked after 2 seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom