Snorkles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to continue the discussion we are having here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=52998

in a separate thread. I don't want to ruin Points autotranny thread too much:)

So here is the Snorkel thread of the month. Post some pics and details of your set up here.

I didn't find a good thread to resurrect so I started a new one;)

Points was kind enough to send my some pics of his Airtech snorkel, and so far, it is my favorite snorkel.
airtech01.jpg
airtech02.jpg
airtech03.jpg

calamaridog,

damn!!! thats the snorkel that i am looking for! where in the land of US can i get that? im really desperate. :confused:
do you mean AIRTEC? :D

Last edited:
TJM is prolly the US distibutor for the Airtech.

I really like that color!

HDJ100L said:
calamaridog,

damn!!! thats the snorkel that i am looking for! where in the land of US can i get that? im really desperate. :confused:
do you mean AIRTEC? :D

I'm not sure if they are available in the U.S. or not. I am currently looking for estimates from AU so I'll let you know what I find.

calamaridog,

thanks. let me know when you have the info from australia. am trying to inquire at 4by4connections. hope they could get it for me. :cheers:

I'm a little slow but as previously mentioned, TJM should be the vendor. Just don't know if they send them over here yet.

calamridog,

you are absolutely correct. TJM is the vendor for the airtec snorkel. but does TJM america sells that? i've seen alot of snorkel but the most popular is the safari snorkel which is from ARB. does anybody here can give me an answer why TJM doesn't have that airtec available in the US. :mad:

In Australia, Safari Snorkels would outsell Airtech by 2-1 as they seem to be the biggest name in the business.

Here are a few shots of mine, though I have just taken them in the garage, so they may not be as scenic as the previous pictures.

TJM's main distributor in Australia would have to be 4WD Megastores, they can be reached by emailing them on earle@4wdwarehouse.com.au

You can visit their website on 4WD Megastores or alternatively their phone number is (Insert international number first) 02 9622-1000 and the owner of the chain is Slav Stefanuik. They distribute both Airtech and Safari snorkels.

ack.sized.jpg

snorkel1.jpg
snorkel2.jpg
snorkel3.jpg

Last edited:
While I like the Safari Snorkel, I prefer the look of the Airtec Snorkel. I am waiting to hear back from an AU supplier regarding shipping costs, etc. to the U.S.

I guess it's what you get used to. With so many Safari ones running around here, you just end up having those as a preference.

I don't think there would be any difference in quality at all. Safari I guess were the pioneer as Airtech have only been on the scene reasonably recently as they won the contract to supply their snorkels to Nissan as Original equipment for their Patrols.

The thing is with the Safari Snorkels, the air ram is removable and a micro cylinder attachment or a Pre-Cleaner is easily just popped on to replace the air ram which provides further protection from very dusty outback roads.

I don't know if you have seen them, but they are popular in the outback over here, as it produces a swirling action of the air intake which is collected in the cylinder before it goes down into the paper air filter at the engine. Doesn't look good, but is extremely effective.

precleaner2-1.jpg

Last edited:
calamaridog said:
One good thing about the U.S. spec vehicle is the Snorkel will be on the passenger side...

Yeah, good point, though the snorkel is absolutely invisible from the driver, and I tend to like that slight gurgling sound which the snorkel gives to that V8 when the window is down ..... :beer:

wisely,

awesome! the airtec is more conservative design than the safari snorkel.
i am also considering the safari snorkel but i want to look different here in our country. very few have the airtec install whereas the safari is all over. :)
anyway, i'll try to get it from U.S since the dealer here of TJM sucks. :mad:
i don't have any good connections in australia to get me an airtec. so i'm hoping to get it from U.S :bounce:

calamaridog,

PM me when you have an information of yours from australia supplier. TY :)

I personally like the Airtec as far as cosmetics go. Much sleeker and more low-profile design than the Safari, and looks better integrated into the truck. Not sure if there is a functional difference, but Airtec seems pretty well-regarded in Australia.

Price?

What's The Price Difference On Them? Does Anyone Know If These Snorkles Have A Ram Air Effect In The Intake? (more Horse Power).....

Well,

The price I was quoted is around $630 USD shipped for the Airtech or the Safari Snorkel. More than I'm willing to spend. I know the Safari Snorkel can be had here in the U.S. for around $320+ shipping. I'm going to email the U.S. TJM suppliers and see if any of them can get us these Airtech Snorkels. Maybe someone will do a group buy?

I was pleased with the quick response from these people, one of the best online sites I have seen in AU so far. Kudos to them:

Richard Oliver
Motorcare Four Wheel Drive
roliver@motorcare.com.au
http://motorcare.com.au
Tel: 61 + 7 3252 4039
Fax: 61 + 7 3852 1808
163, Abbotsford Rd.
Bowen Hills,
Queensland 4006
Australia

That really sux, squidcanine. That is AU$830! They are only AU$450 or so over here, so they are charging you at least AU$400 for postage = ridiculous. Wonder how big the box is? Could you get me some idea of box size & weight, and I'll work out a better deal...Australia post is pretty cheap if you go economy air. Get back to me on that one...

Wilesy said:
I guess it's what you get used to. With so many Safari ones running around here, you just end up having those as a preference.

I don't think there would be any difference in quality at all. Safari I guess were the pioneer as Airtech have only been on the scene reasonably recently as they won the contract to supply their snorkels to Nissan as Original equipment for their Patrols.

The thing is with the Safari Snorkels, the air ram is removable and a micro cylinder attachment or a Pre-Cleaner is easily just popped on to replace the air ram which provides further protection from very dusty outback roads.

I don't know if you have seen them, but they are popular in the outback over here, as it produces a swirling action of the air intake which is collected in the cylinder before it goes down into the paper air filter at the engine. Doesn't look good, but is extremely effective.

precleaner2-1.jpg
Wilesy, I agree with you in the tropics up here the Safari is considered to be superior to the Airtec even to most of Toyota origional snorkels. Most snorkels toyota claim are for dust only,reccommend not driving in water more than 600mmm or 700mm deep.[305mm + 1 foot.] Have a look at owners manuals.As for ram effect I don't think its much at all but on the hzj75 series in heavy monsoon rains they get water stains in the aircleaner. :cheers:

Crikey! I think Airtec would be a little miffed that their snorkel is considered to be for dust driving only! Mine doesn't seem to leak, despite many deep crossings...even have the fan into radiator marks to prove it (yes, I know I should have fitted a blind)
The 700mm reccomended in the owners manual is for a non-snorkel equipped vehicle.

Have a look at the Airtec vs Safari snorkel verbal battles in Oz ...you may have to cut and paste this...

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/...ion=display;threadid=6307;start=0;boardseen=1

As Clint Esatwood says...
'Opinions are like assholes...we've all got one"
Now if only I could remember what movie was that from? Was it 'The Rookie'?

points said:
As Clint Esatwood says...
'Opinions are like assholes...we've all got one"
Now if only I could remember what movie was that from? Was it 'The Rookie'?

The Dead Pool ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom