snorkels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is arb the only snorkel for fj 40, if so where sells them and who has the best price. r u happy w/ the snorkel. what r the pro and cons of one?

Besides homemade the only option is Safari Snorkel which is distributed by ARB. As for price, check all the cruiser vendors. I can't think of any cons and have never heard of anyone who is unhappy with one.

The only thing you need to get used to is people asking you about your "parascope or whatever that thing is".

Last edited:
i also think arb is only one. never needed one, but i would make my own the way i wanted it

Technically there are other units besides the safari... Airflow is another that comes to mind and I think there is another out of aus as well. It's mainly decorative but I have swamped my 40 in a mudhole and enough water got into the cyl to kill the ignitor and this was in CO where it's mostly dry.

Use the search tool as snorkels have been covered many times and Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters is your man for one.

wesintl said:
Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters is your man for one.

Order by tomorrow if you can, he has a pallet leaving ARB tomorrow for quick delivery. I bet he does not have one in stock right now otherwise...

Every once in a while they pop up on Ebay.I got mine (safari) off Ebay for 100$ new.Buy it now.So I did.

what about when it rains? im thinking about going to a mufflers shop and have one bent out of 3in exhuast tubing, they paint it black, and iv seen pvc heated up and bent then just buy the intake ram. The part number is 000-135-000 and it costs $54.80. (iv talked to a guy at ARB)

Cheap n good one
we used 3in pvc for the snorkel ,using 2 90deg bends and 1 45deg bend used 2 brackets on window frame for sopports made from pipe clamps, got a sheet meteal co to make us a top intake n warmed the top 90 to bend it down so the angle of the intake was straigt,the top 90 we cut 4 saw cuts so we could turn them in heavy rain or when the bushes n trees would knock them of[used a clip with wing nut to tighten, we then cut hole through fender for pipe n welded up the existing air filter inlet n made another one with extension to suit snorkel pipe and conected it with 3in flex hose n clips [works very well never been knocked off ,but make shure your existing filter is tight n water proof]
cost us about U$ 12

Here check this. Its not a cruiser but still a Toy.

Its not fully finished yet, I still need to bend the top pipe a bit more to get eh Snorkel head level.

The ARB Kit for my truck is $550.00 Canadian, the head was only $80.00 Canadian, SO I bought JUST the head and built the rest.

Write up on this page.
http://www.mudrunner.ca/snorkel.html

Pic
tn_snorkel_7.jpg

Yes you can bend PVC Pipe.
tn_snorkel_e.jpg

This is how. Heat the pipe with a torch, and bend over an old rim
tn_snorkel_d.jpg

Last edited:
Ron said:
Cheap n good one
we used 3in pvc for the snorkel ,using 2 90deg bends and 1 45deg bend used 2 brackets on window frame for sopports made from pipe clamps, got a sheet meteal co to make us a top intake n warmed the top 90 to bend it down so the angle of the intake was straigt,the top 90 we cut 4 saw cuts so we could turn them in heavy rain or when the bushes n trees would knock them of[used a clip with wing nut to tighten, we then cut hole through fender for pipe n welded up the existing air filter inlet n made another one with extension to suit snorkel pipe and conected it with 3in flex hose n clips [works very well never been knocked off ,but make shure your existing filter is tight n water proof]
cost us about U$ 12

You got a pic of this, sounds pretty bad ass!

I had 2 1/4" pipe bent at a muffler shop for me. Looks pretty nice. Your windshield is 10 deg. tilted back, so just make the angle bend 10 deg. then 10 deg back to vertical for the top. I used black ABS for the 90 deg turn into the engine compartment and a 4" - 2" reducer on top with a round dome vent cap on top of the reducer. It looks pretty slick. There should be a pic of it here on 'mud somewhere. Search my posts for snorkel.

Jody.

The outside looks pretty simple. Someone please show some pics of the engine compartment. How to hook the snorkel to the carb or intake is where I get confused. Do you use the stock intake filter or just the head filter on the snorkel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom