snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got mine from Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters here on the board, Safari .

Most, if not all people go with the Safari. There is another brand called Airflow, but they are in australia and I don't even think they are popular over there.

I'm only aware of one available in the US and that is the Safari snorkel (as above). There was a thread about a potential group buy for OEM ones that may be still available in central/south america. I think there are other non-US manufacurers (such as TJM) but I've never seen them offered for sale in the US.

You should do a search. All the snorkels for the FJ60 are designed for non-US markets where the air cleaner is on the right (US passenger side) of the vehicle. Therefore the snorkel is located on the right side fender. It is not a straight forward connection to the OEM US air cleaner. You would either have to purchase a non-US air cleaner set up, or modify your existing air cleaner to bring air in from the right side, or run a long flex tube around the engine compartment.

You would either have to purchase a non-US air cleaner set up, or modify your existing air cleaner to bring air in from the right side, or run a long flex tube around the engine compartment.

I did my snorkel install the week after Easter and I had completely forgot about the air filter problem until I went to hook up the rubber hose. :doh:

All the snorkels for the FJ60 are designed for non-US markets where the air cleaner is on the right (US passenger side) of the vehicle. Therefore the snorkel is located on the right side fender. It is not a straight forward connection to the OEM US air cleaner. You would either have to purchase a non-US air cleaner set up, or modify your existing air cleaner to bring air in from the right side, or run a long flex tube around the engine compartment.

Considering most use the snorkle for extreme water crossings at the mall, I don't see this as a big deal ;)

Considering most use the snorkle for extreme water crossings at the mall, I don't see this as a big deal ;)

there has been once i needed a snorkel as i sucked up just enough water to shut off the truck and need to be towed out.

i have also found water in my air cleaner box and air filter wet on many occasions tho aparently not enough to shut off the rig.

and multiple times where the pucker factor is setting in about the middle of a stream or river crossing hoping it doesnt get any deeper or that it wasnt washed out on the last rain.

that being said i will most likely construct my own snorkel to go with my 2F-E as a "just in case" kinda mod i also think it might maybe help with the engine breathing better.

plus it looks cool when i go to the mall and crawl up onto the light post:doh:

Never said they are worthless.. Just that most that have them don't need them. How many people do you know that drive in water deeper than their hood ;)

BTW, if you are gonna do it. Please waterproof everything.. not just the intake..

how much does a snorkel actually help? I know they benefit water crossings, but do they really get better airflow being up higher? would a snorkel be a beneficial addition in general?

I generally agree with Mace that most who have them don't use them (and I think they look a bit retarded personally), but here's an example of the limitations of the stock set-up. You aren't going to get to the hood before you are sucking water. (at least not without care, and not without realizing you are headed into a deep puddle) You could do a lot short of a snorkel to improve things, but with the stock set-up and water splashing, I flooded the air cleaner before the oil pan was even touching water.
SoggyYota1-1.jpg

I generally agree with Mace that most who have them don't use them (and I think they look a bit retarded personally), but here's an example of the limitations of the stock set-up. You aren't going to get to the hood before you are sucking water. (at least not without care, and not without realizing you are headed into a deep puddle) You could do a lot short of a snorkel to improve things, but with the stock set-up and water splashing, I flooded the air cleaner before the oil pan was even touching water.

That's impressive, I have never seen anyone drown a 60 out in that much water. Stock or not. I have driven stock 60's into water close to washing over the hood without any issue. My 40 has seen water over the hood..
Bow waves are cool :)

You had to pull the plugs and clear out the cylinders? Where is the intake on a 3FE?? (I never paid attention)

As for the "cooler air" thing.. Snake oil IMHO.. But, others disagree with me..

Running puddles at an old gravel pit. One wasn't flat bottomed. Passenger side (where the intake in the fender well is located) dropped down, water splashed up inside and was sucked into the air cleaner. Luckily there wasn't much that got in, and the K&N that I had at the time kept it from getting past in any significant amount. Once I cracked the top of the cleaner, it was able to breath and start up again, and work its way out of the muck. I think part of the problem was that the plastic "snout" on the air inlet angled forward and down in the fenderwell, basically aimed at where rust has removed some of the sheet metal, so it took a direct shot as the truck dropped in.

:bang: I thought I was totally F'ed that day!! Took a week for the carpet to dry out and the stench to dissipate. Went home and got REALLY hammered.

The next day, the young lady who was out with me bought herself a 62 :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Never said they are worthless.. Just that most that have them don't need them. How many people do you know that drive in water deeper than their hood ;)

BTW, if you are gonna do it. Please waterproof everything.. not just the intake..

waterproof why would I waste my time?:rolleyes:
naw for real tho i got all the conectors and dizzy taken care of already;)
and how many deeper than your hood? not many most dont go past the bottom of the door.

I got deeper than that on a stock setup, but like you said if care is taken you can go deeper.;)

the first pic is about mid door'ish driving across a river i was in first gear 4lo and idling and it was still trying to splash on the hood some:doh:
All was well tho!:grinpimp:
second and 3rd pic is a budy in his 91 mini on some 35" BFG KM2's crossing the same river.
Wheelin 2-17-08 Fiona 006.jpg
Wheelin 2-17-08 Rich 019.jpg
Wheelin 2-17-08 Rich 020.jpg

water crossing being everyone's main idea behind the snorkel application, however i have read the aussies developed them for another purpose as well that being dust.

envision a dusty evironment and the fact that a truck only kicks dust so high, the snorkel is up higher than the dust line where the air is cleaner.

i bought my truck with the safari model very nice.

people in traffic gawk over it a bit much though

water crossing being everyone's main idea behind the snorkel application, however i have read the aussies developed them for another purpose as well that being dust.

envision a dusty evironment and the fact that a truck only kicks dust so high, the snorkel is up higher than the dust line where the air is cleaner.

i bought my truck with the safari model very nice.

people in traffic gawk over it a bit much though

thats cause it makes you look hardcore.;)

Here in Venezuela we do lots of river crossing so I think that in here for our type of wheeling is very justified.. I've passed water crossing with water on the hood many times!!! I'm saving some money for a safari snorkel..

Living in Utah is pretty much a dry affair unless you're dumb enough to try to cross the Green or the Colorado. In either case no snorkel will help you. After the SOA, my air cleaner is about five feet off the ground. I don't see it being an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom