Snorkel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
dizzy.ucns.uga.edu
I've always kind of laughed at the safari snorkle, prolly cause most of the ones I see are on mall cruisers who rarely drive across more than wet parking lots, but a friend asked a great question the other day. We were hanging out looking at my 60, and he stumped me when he asked "if the air intake for the cleaner is on the driver's side, why did Safari make the snorkel to mount on the passenger fender?" It does seem like it's more of a pain to mount--WTF?

And while I'm thinking about it, has anyone tried to fab a snorkel that fits in the "gill slit" on the passenger side? I like that idea best--no new holes.
:cheers:

Diesel intake is on the passenger side...why would you want a snorkle on a gasser anyways? Once the plug wires (or any wires) are wet...you're deep enough...

expat said:
why would you want a snorkle on a gasser anyways? ...

'Cause they look super cool.

I want to put one on my 93.

expat said:
Diesel intake is on the passenger side...why would you want a snorkle on a gasser anyways? Once the plug wires (or any wires) are wet...you're deep enough...

<slapping forhead> :doh:

Thanks, haven't seen a diesel up close yet, didn't realize they "dressed right". It all makes sense now.

I know diesels have the edge, but I wonder if you could seal the plug wires, starter and dizzy on a gasser and keep running submerged? Does the distributor have to be vented to work?

I'll admit--I make fun of the mall cruisers bc I want a snorkel--I just want to USE it.

Another added benefit is that they draw cooler air. Don't know how much it helps though.

Ya the idea is a good one. I drive gravel logging roads a lot. The air intake that high is much cleaner than those stock intakes below. The air is cooler too.

flowman said:
... but I wonder if you could seal the plug wires, starter and dizzy on a gasser and keep running submerged? Does the distributor have to be vented to work?...

Run the OEM dizzy 79 & later and you are good to go. O-ring sealed, vented (mine is to my air cleaner). I also have my axles and cases vented up to the snorkel. The last thing I need to vent is my ARB air compressor as I killed one by inhaling water. I have had my Cruiser in water above the valvecover (front end dipped down)... ran great... The snorkel paid for itseld right there :D ;)

I've seen chevy military fording kits that have the Dist. and coil enclosed together as a sealed unit, and plug wires that have special threads on the plug side (as well as special plugs of course) to create a water tight environment.
Is there anything for the land cruisers like that?

Toadhopper said:
...and plug wires that have special threads on the plug side (as well as special plugs of course) to create a water tight environment.
Is there anything for the land cruisers like that?

Yep. Dielectric grease inside the boot of each plug wire.

Nice tip--the grease looks like it could be very easy to work with. Maybe I'll stop laughing at the snorkels! :bounce:

Still wish I could fab one to install in the gill slit, instead of cutting a new hole in my fender. I hate to chop her up.

expat said:

As is the intake on US spec FJ62s. I plan to buy a Snorkel at some point (when I get home if the budget allows) because it's so damn dusty in the summer in eastern WA. The extra height of the intake will mean less dust to clog up the air filter.

Plus, from what I've been told (no personal experience), the forward facing intake of the snorkel helps improve airflow into the engine at highway speeds, helping performance somewhat. I doubt it'd be much, but hey, every little bit, right?

I've got Safari Snorkle on my '87 60. Paid for itself a couple of weeks ago when I got stuck in a river in central Mongolia (see pic). Although the water eventually got just about to the top of the hood on the right side, and about a foot deep inside the car, I was able to run the engine to help when an old Russian dump truck finally pulled me out (after 5 hours).

Another benefit in a dry dusty area (like most of Mongolia) is that you can attach a pre-filter. With that and getting the intake more than 6 feet off the ground, you suck in a lot less dust.

And yes, it looks cool.

Works for me.

-Scott
river.jpg

One of the first things to be added to my HJ61....

Why?? Because it looks cool, of course :grinpimp:

and all the other reasons mentioned.

Apparently, you only get one shot at attatching it right.

Yes it is a shame to have to drill into the truck, however, by the looks of scottw's prediciment, it paid off ten-fold.... :eek:

less dust is good.

the idea that the snorkel acts as an air ram might not be that accurate-- by the time the air goes through the snorkel, around the bends, then into the air filter box, I'd be surprised if the ram-effect makes up for the restrictions. Added to that, the stock snorkels made by Toyota don't usually face forward but have the little hat on top (or a cyclonic filter) which would negate the air-ram...

regardless, the air should be cleaner and maybe a very small amount cooler up by the snorkel. And a hell of a lot drier if you you are up to your headlights!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom