Snorkel Q (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventuretoolcompany.com
I've researched this throughout MUD and on the web and no one really goes into detail and/or has pictures of how they installed a snorkel on a US model 1987 FJ60 with a 2F with all the emmissions attached. Here's what I've found-

1) They install it, but never hook it up to the carb and run it as a poser.

2) They install it and have to cut-up and weld their US model airbox back together with the air in-take on the passenger side of engine bay. But nothing addresses the issue of the heat riser and vaccum lines that are attached to the air intake.

3) They install it and purchase a Aussie airbox ($$) that reconfigures everything to the passenger side of engine. But nothing addresses the issue of the heat riser and vac. lines.

This is part of my next stage of build-up and would really appreciate your input.

BTW- I took the Rhino Ride out on my son's springbreak and did a 1500 mile road trip from Oklahoma to Iowa and back to Missouri....saw all the neat little towns and old toyota 4wds that are still out there wroking on the farms.....It got 15 mpg and ran perfect the entire time...BFG MT's get a little loud after 8 hours of driving....:)

i dont know how you get around the obstacles in the engine compartment, but i would install the snorkel and then start thinking about how to run the intake to the air box or relocate the airbox to make it work. Im sure theres more than a couple of ways to run air intake out of harms way.

But i bet someone else has done this before and maybe has some pics??

There are some installations where they just run a hose from the passenger fender wall over the radiator and to the stock air intake...

I live in CA and need to keep an emissions legal vehicle or be able to migrate back to one. I purchased a second air cleaner housing. my plan is to plug, but not remove the original air inlet tube (I will probably weld a plate on the inside of the housing to plug the inlet tube. I will fab and weld another air inlet tube on the passenger side of the air cleaner. I'm thinking about using pre-bent exhaust tube. Hopefully this would give me all the functionality of the stock air cleaner except for the hot air intake through the trap door. Since I live in SF area, it doesn't really get that cold, and I don't think I'll be missing much...I'll keep my original housing so I can install it when I go for the smog check and just have a "poser" snorkel. These are just plans. I haven't done anything real yet except for purchase the second air cleaner housing.

I am going to be installing a passenger side snorkel as soon as my rig gets back to me and plan on keeping all intact, welding up the inlet running to the headlamp area and opening up a new orifice towards the hole I cut into the inner engine compartment where the snorkel enters.

I will document the install in the next few weeks.

john

I've looked for years for an aftermarket drivers side I don't believe there is such a thing. I have seen many fabed ones. I just haven't been able to get the pics and list of materials used. I want this so i don't have to do all the leg work after all it's just a snorkel for Bling

Here is what I did. I cut the factory aircleaner and welded up the holes for the heat riser.

4g6mt6h.jpg

That was actually me that posted that pic.

It never gets ridiculously cold here, MAYBE it'll hit 5 degrees. With regular driving starting isn't a problem but most of the time I was starting it after it was sitting for a week or two. I did notice that it takes a little longer to warm up but I just take it easy, so that isn't a prpoblem either.

As for the vacuum lines the only ones that were affected were the ones to the heat riser and since I don't have that any more I just did away with them.

Brian

Yeah, no problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom