Snorkel or not to Snorkel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great action. Love the video.

So, I posted this before but not here.

This is the dust pile from two 100 series out of the air filters after a long trip on heavy dusty roads.

We both pulled out filters and dropped them twice on the asphalt

04012E25-125A-4706-8FEA-1B7B5B58275D.jpeg

Top circle. Non snorkeled 1999

Bottom snorkeled 1998

Huge difference

Nice update!
I did mine few months ago and did a trip down to Galveston and back on back roads. Before the trip the airbox was clean and it stayed the same even after the trip!

I had a Chinese ARB knockoff but it worked good. Drove through a few heavy rains and worried about water going into the tube. I saw water was channeling out of the back bottom of the snorkel head. Few drops had entered into the air box but not an issue. Make sure you keep the drain hole at the bottom of the air box clean.

No wind sounds observed at 70+ MPH speeds. Completely happy with the snorkel!!!

This is the dust pile from two 100 series out of the air filters after a long trip on heavy dusty roads.

View attachment 1771209

Bottom snorkeled 1998

Huge difference

Best pic yet I get tired of hearing about people needing it for fording. The only reason I installed one was to keep my air filter cleaner and to bring in cooler air temps. If you are buying a snorkel because you think you need it to ford water you don't.

Door seals were fine, nothing made it’s way inside...well nothing visible anyway.

Ya, my plan wasn’t to back up, however once I realized I wasn’t making any forward progress and saw thick mud churning up at the wheels, I slammed it in reverse and prayed for a miracle...I got lucky.

Other than the underbelly be covered in clay, bent rear dust shields, and my rear brakes being filling with rocks, the truck was unharmed.

I have a pick somewhere on my phone when I got stuck for a few hours in a water hole with my 80. Some water made its way inside, but was minimal. (I did have a snorkel and extended breather lines on it.)

Water in the intake worries you less?? Not that I want to remove the carpet and get everything water logged, but isn’t wet carpet better than a hydro locked/damaged engine?

I am in western ND....extremely windy and dusty here, along with flat land and no trees. Lots of gravel roads and semis driving on those roads due to oil traffic. I am not sure if a snorkel would help with dust.....yes my engine bay gets dusty, but the exterior of my cars are a constant dust ball....

@084runnerltd how'd the door seals hold? Water in the intake worries me less than water in the cabin - from exactly what you experienced, e.g. coming to a stop, backing up, etc.

Back in my CJ days, I'd occasionally see water over the hood (never get used to that strange view of water on the windshield) without a snorkel. But, with no carpet, no electronics and drain holes, water in the cab' wasn't an issue.

It seems the snorkels are more for reducing dirt in the intake, for the guys out west.

Edited after seeing wngrog's post ;)

Where can I get the snorkel that has Land Cruiser on it? Is it just luck of the draw? I know some of the Chinese snorkels come with it on there....

@084runnerltd how'd the door seals hold? Water in the intake worries me less than water in the cabin - from exactly what you experienced, e.g. coming to a stop, backing up, etc.

Back in my CJ days, I'd occasionally see water over the hood (never get used to that strange view of water on the windshield) without a snorkel. But, with no carpet, no electronics and drain holes, water in the cab' wasn't an issue.

It seems the snorkels are more for reducing dirt in the intake, for the guys out west.

Edited after seeing wngrog's post ;)

To be fair I was in New Mexico

Yeah, I have looked several times and have never been able to find one.

My understanding is that they have all stopped selling the "Landcruiser" ones as there was a licensing issue. They are all blank now.

Water in the intake worries you less??
Sorry... to be clear, I see water intrusion in cab (from stopping in a couple feet of mud/water) as a more likely ****y outcome - compared to hydrolocking. Sort of like worrying about worrying about jellyfish more than great whites. ;)

Sorry... to be clear, I see water intrusion in cab (from stopping in a couple feet of mud/water) as a more likely ****y outcome - compared to hydrolocking. Sort of like worrying about worrying about jellyfish more than great whites. ;)

Got it.

View attachment 1771209

Bottom snorkeled 1998

Huge difference

Wow, glad I saw this pic, based on the dust all over my truck, I wouldn’t have thought there would have been that much of a difference.

Aside from the water crossings...the snorkle allows airbox access to the less dirty intake air near cab roof level versus pulling air from under front fender where dust is kicked up. This could be another benefit to those in drier climates.

If you install one because of dust, do not go with the air scoop. Instead put a Donaldson cyclonic separator on top of it. Air flow above a certain RPM causes a centrifuge effect trapping dust inside. When RPM is low most of the dust in the chamber falls out the bottom.

I can see bigger stuff like bugs and leaf particles spinning around in it.

Last edited:
I just received an email response from Cruiser Outfitters and they don’t have the old design anymore. Still looking for an alternative seller.

For those who went with the eBay replicas, how are they holding up? Reason why I want the Safari Snorkel is Las Vegas heat during the summer is brutal, literally your flip flop would melt if you leave them outside. Fitment-wise I think the reps are pretty good, just the long term quality I’m concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom