Snorkel options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All - I am in the process of ordering a snorkel for my rig. I am thinking about going with ARB (ARB SS87HF Snorkel). This one appears to be for the 200 but is not listed for the 5.7 which is a little odd. What have you all installed? Looking for ideas. Thanks

2011 200 Series BTW

None of them are listed for the 5.7L 3UR-FE, but they all work. The catch is that the round rubber intake hose has to fit over the square-ish 5.7L intake.

I have the Dobinson's snorkel, which is a replica of the ARB. It was half the cost, but the installation had a couple issues, the main one being that the non-ARB snorkel bodies appear to be for 2008-2011 vehicles, so if you have a 2013+ they don't fit flush against the A pillar. Since you have a 2011 that may not matter. The minor issues I had was that the A-pillar bracket didn't line up right once your rivet the bracket to the A-pillar, so I had to widen the bracket, and the two bolts for the snorkel started rusting in a few days so I had to go to home despot and pick up a pair of stainless bolts.

I have the ARB. I didn’t install it myself. Wifey made it a Christmas present last year and Backwoods Overland in Maryland installed it.

I don’t think he had any problems.

BCD6ADEF-B3F2-44AB-8189-47E2E6B283B9.jpeg

I have the ARB. I didn’t install it myself. Wifey made it a Christmas present last year and Backwoods Overland in Maryland installed it.

I don’t think he had any problems.

View attachment 1613166

@Rex9802 - a bit off topic, but did you fabricate those driving lamp mounts yourself?

Yes. Or backwoods did- nick Atwell is the guy who owns it.

I am going to send him a text to chime in here. He may have more if interested.... or at least advice.

Yes. Or backwoods did- nick Atwell is the guy who owns it.

I am going to send him a text to chime in here. He may have more if interested.... or at least advice.

@Rex9802 Thanks! I would certainly be interested in that.

---

@schob24 I haven't seen TJM's snorkel mentioned. It's a sleek design and looks very subtle when color-matched. I'm just not certain of the availability in the US. Product discussion here:

TJM Snorkel vs ARB - Any reviews?

I've had the ARB's on both my 100 and 200... you pay a bit more, but the quality and fit is great. For me, the extra couple hundred is a drop in the bucket compared to other costs of mods so I just went with what I know will work.

My ARB / Safari fit perfectly on my 200..... that said on my 80 I did a ebay special.... and it fit well minus the jig being off....

for the 200 given the fender creases I think it's worth spending the extra for a proven fit. it also will work with the TRD intake, more for extra intake growl then HP but I did both while I was doing it.

For the 200 given the fender creases I think it's worth spending the extra for a proven fit.

If I was doing it again on my 2013 I'd buy the ARB to ensure a perfect fit.

If I was doing it again but I had a 2008-2011 I'd probably buy the Dobinson's again and just dremel the holes before I mounted the bracket.

Anyone running a snorkus go on many overgrown trails? Love the concept but always figured it would either snag on a branch and depart the vehicle or result in me being out of the truck pruning all God's creation.

Anyone running a snorkus go on many overgrown trails? Love the concept but always figured it would either snag on a branch and depart the vehicle or result in me being out of the truck pruning all God's creation.

I never had an issue with the ARB Safari Snorkel when I lived in Georgia. A friend and I ran the Georgia Traverse a couple of times (some portions are quite overgrown) and I remember small branches whipping my antenna more than anything else. I can't speak for other brands, but once the ARB snorkel is bolted to the truck, it's very solid.

I don't think you'll really need to change your driving habits or anything. If a branch is low and big enough to risk snagging your snorkel, it would need to be addressed anyway.

Last edited:

I think if it more like a curb feeler... if you hit your snorkel, you are too close to hitting your roofline. I did smash the crap out of mine on a branch in the 100 in the hills of GA, and it held up fine despite putting a hole in the mesh. They are tougher than you'd think.

The snorkel doesn't protrude from the body any more than the side mirror. I haven't noticed it "catching" on much. if you're afraid of the head snagging on something, you can always reverse it to face backwards

Can you still go to the touchess car wash with a Snorkel ?

I do. I'll usually do the "hand wash" shops that brush the LC with soapy water before running it through the automated machine. I dont turn the head backwards, but know that some people do.

Can you still go to the touchess car wash with a Snorkel ?

Yes.

I do. I'll usually do the "hand wash" shops that brush the LC with soapy water before running it through the automated machine. I dont turn the head backwards, but know that some people do.

I ran my Tacoma (with an ARB snorkel) through the touchless car wash all the time. I kept the snorkel head forward and never had a problem.

If you keep the snorkel pointed forward and you seal the drain hole in the air box as ARB notes you'll find you end up with a tablespoon of water sitting in the bottom of the air box after driving through the rain.

I've considered tapping in a drain with a one way valve like a diff-breather. Not sure if the spring on a diff breather is too stiff to let the water drain out though.

Safari fan here, high quality, actual research and development rather then reverse engineered and they will continue to improve and refine their product line over time. We've installed a variety of them on all year 200's, great fit & finish. The 16/17 model is a tiny bit different but there are options there too!

IMG_6044.JPG

If you keep the snorkel pointed forward and you seal the drain hole in the air box as ARB notes you'll find you end up with a tablespoon of water sitting in the bottom of the air box after driving through the rain.

I've considered tapping in a drain with a one way valve like a diff-breather. Not sure if the spring on a diff breather is too stiff to let the water drain out though.

I've never tried this, but I think a small, one-way check valve would fit the bill. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGJWF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apis_1516418062868

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom