Snorkel Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of looking to buy an 80 series. I found one with low miles and in a color I like (no lockers though), but it has a snorkel. I don't need a snorkel on a truck that I'm going to use as a daily driver and, in my view, I'd look a little silly driving around with the snorkel (also, I am not particularly fond of the look, even though I know it is a popular modification). How hard is it to remove the snorkel? Will it require any under-hood plumbing work (e.g., would I have to relocate the airbox or something)? Is there anyone who makes a cheap cover for the holes in the fender or would I be stuck with a big body shop bill?

The seller lives an hour or so from me so I'd like to know how hard it is to remove a snorkel before I drive down there to look at the truck.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

It's going to need a new fender. The snorkel install required a hole to be drilled in the fender, and it's not small. You can't just plug it up.

Removing the snorkel will expose several ugly holes in the fender, the largest of which will be well over 3 inches in diameter. Any attempt to cover over them will make it look very odd. In addition the OEM air intake pieces that were inside the fender will be gone and would need to be recovered or replaced. Cosmetics dictate that the fender should be replaced. A new one painted and installed properly would probably run at least 700 dollars and that is likely on the low side. There will also be holes in the winshield pillar to be looked after. The only somewhat econonical way to do it would be to find someone that had the same color rig and ask if they would like to trade fenders and snorkel. In that case you would just have to worry about the windshield pillar repair and you could get his air intake pieces.

D-

.. or some of us, when we installed them, kept all the important bits like the disc of fender that was cut out. Some fine sheet metal welding, a dab of grinding, some touch up paint could be all that is required.

If you are buying one with a snorkel, then likely the person did some other mods to it as well and maybe took it offroad :eek:. Make sure you check out what you are buying first. You may be better suited to find some babe selling her rig and buy that one.

what color rig is it? i might be intrested in a fender swapp. mine a 96 lx450 in the champane color let me know?

mike

Is it a Burgundy 93? If so you may be in luck!!!! :D :D :D

94 emerald green here. Even if it isn't the same color you could at least have one piece of your truck in the best color produced.

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=10156;start=msg90736#msg90736 date=1074138559]
94 emerald green here. Even if it isn't the same color you could at least have one piece of your truck in the best color produced.
[/quote]

I second that, threre's a reason that they made so many in that color. :D

there will also be holes in the A piller, not big holes but holes none the less.

Don't suppose the 80 your looking at is in WA, has 26k on it and the seller is asking WAY to much?

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=10156;start=msg90741#msg90741 date=1074139011]
Don't suppose the 80 your looking at is in WA, has 26k on it and the seller is asking WAY to much?[/quote]
1490.gif

But Pimpie, tell us how you feel about that.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10156;start=msg90747#msg90747 date=1074139279]
1490.gif

But Pimpie, tell us how you feel about that.
[/quote]

I can't even remember where i saw it for sale at, was last week, But the dude wanted 46k for it!!!!!

Thanks for all of the replies. I strongly suspected that removing it would be a big pain. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

This forum is great! It's already provided some very valuable information and I don't even have a cruiser yet.

ebod,
Welcome to the forum :flipoff2:. There are some great knowledgeable folks here (and then there's me) and most would go out of their way to help you in any way, including checking out a truck in their town for you.

Don't be shy using the search button, as lots of good stuff behind shelf #3, and don't hesitate to ask questions (but if it's tire size stuff, please search ;)).

this is too cute! I just saw an 80 that had a snorkel, but the guy had added it just for the look and didn't connect to the filter, no hole in the fender... anyway...

back to the questions: how about putting some sort of pseudo supercharger scoop on the fender in lieu of the snorkel... would look like a sport car!

or a really big antenna?

:D :D

E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10156;start=msg90915#msg90915 date=1074154354]
this is too cute! I just saw an 80 that had a snorkel, but the guy had added it just for the look and didn't connect to the filter, no hole in the fender... anyway...

back to the questions: how about putting some sort of pseudo supercharger scoop on the fender in lieu of the snorkel... would look like a sport car!

or a really big antenna?

:D :D

E
[/quote]

Better a pseudo tire that looks like Junk's swampers but have onroad capabilities like a stock tire. I don't like snorkel at all and if I don't move to a place where I have to cross water all the time I won't fit one.

Mike

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=10156;start=msg91300#msg91300 date=1074360918]
I wouldn't worry about it Mike. With all that other crap on your toilet who'd notice?
[/quote]

I saw today a VX Limited with all my "crap" lifted and big tires. Looked awesome. Unfortunately there was a snorkel.

You would wonder how many people notice my rig and want to buy it. Not Thais but Europeans but I will never sell :ban:

Mike

Asiarider,

Do you recognize this?

Cricket.bat.jpeg

If someone would get smacked in the head with one of those, you wouldn't think that would be a subtle tap, would you?

Your posts are beginning to feel like you're beating us upside the head with a cricket bat. We know you love your truck but telling us in each and every post gets a little old. We know the VX models were equipped with every Toyota option available but telling us in each and every post gets a little old.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10156;start=msg91705#msg91705 date=1074445995]
Asiarider,

Do you recognize this?

Cricket.bat.jpeg

If someone would get smacked in the head with one of those, you wouldn't think that would be a subtle tap, would you?

Your posts are beginning to feel like you're beating us upside the head with a cricket bat. We know you love your truck but telling us in each and every post gets a little old. We know the VX models were equipped with every Toyota option available but telling us in each and every post gets a little old.

-B-
[/quote]

Okay,

I stop posting :'(

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom