Sniper timing control with FJ60 dizzy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Exactly as the title says, is there a way to set up a FJ60 dizzy so that I can utilize the timing control function on a Holley Sniper. Step one is to get timing control. Step to is set it up to retard timing under boost... Thoughts?

IS an HEI unit the only way?

Most of my turbo experience comes from Saabs and since Saab has been turbo charging production cars since the late 70's they have a pretty impressive run of designs. The first turbo was on the 99 model which ran electronic distributor, a blow off valve, and a big laggy turbo (but hold on when it spooled up). The distributor had a vacuum advance on it but it also retarded the ignition as the engine went from vacuum to boost. This is how they did things all the way until 1993 for the Turbo 900 and 9000 models. After this the cars went to T5 engine management and eventually T7 which integrated fuel injection, ignition, and boost control all into one and was pretty amazing. Per Eklund built a pikes peak hill climb car which used a stock Saab block and cylinder head (modified for performance) with a ton of boost to generate 800+ hp.

You might be able to run the stock 2F distributor but you would need a vacuum advance unit capable of retarding the ignition as the boost pressure increased and suspect the stock unit cannot reverse enough. It might also require some play with the recurve to better align with a supercharger ramp up. So if you can go electronic thats a win for sure even if it requires some time on a dyno to get the mapping correct.

I have installed a Sniper and I'm investigating ECU timing control. How did you manage the rotor phasing? I've watched a video where the he used an adjustable mechanism to rotate base plate to line up the reluctor wheel/ pickup correctly. This gave him the ability to set the reference angle, etc. Please share your experience. Thanks.
SimS

I followed that video step by step. The problem that I am still facing is setting the dwell. I have been able to fix the drift by changing timing advance but id rather get the static dwell set... to well.. static... so that it stops shifting around.

One question for the group as I already burned up one Sniper spark module, Id like to hook up my stock tach and not depend just on the sniper unit. Can one hook up the tach to the DUI if the sniper module is also on the line?

I followed that video step by step. ............. Can one hook up the tach to the DUI if the sniper module is also on the line?

@GMSilk_Fj60 I have watched the same video. He also used a HEI distributor. I am hoping @White Stripe can share some info how he used a Toyota distributor. I think the pieces are there but I'm trying to work out "phasing".

Also I think my first project is going to be marking up the flywheel with more timing marks than TDC and the BB.

SimS

I painted some marks on the front fly wheel and block as well. Good thinking, sims.

It would be convenient if there was a degree wheel that could be fitted to the flywheel.

@GMSilk_Fj60 I have watched the same video. He also used a HEI distributor. I am hoping @White Stripe can share some info how he used a Toyota distributor. I think the pieces are there but I'm trying to work out "phasing".

Also I think my first project is going to be marking up the flywheel with more timing marks than TDC and the BB.

SimS
It's been a while since I've messed with my efi. I'll have to look at my notes and get back to you. If you have an adjustable timing light I would think you dont need more marks on the flywheel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how specific the timing tables are in the sniper. In my gm tbi ecu I can advance/retard timing based on engine temperature. I can add more timing when in power Enrichment mode. During highway cruise rpm you can program it to run pretty high advance and increase fuel mileage. However to get a good base ecu timing curve dyno tuning is probably a good idea. Also it's better to run forced induction with ecu timing control but not mandatory. So it gives some benefits, but the stock vacuum distributor is the simplest way to get down the road. I'm surprised nobody is running forced induction with the sniper on a f series engine. That would be fun to drive.

I'm not sure how specific the timing tables are in the sniper. In my gm tbi ecu I can advance/retard timing based on engine temperature. I can add more timing when in power Enrichment mode. During highway cruise rpm you can program it to run pretty high advance and increase fuel mileage. However to get a good base ecu timing curve dyno tuning is probably a good idea. Also it's better to run forced induction with ecu timing control but not mandatory. So it gives some benefits, but the stock vacuum distributor is the simplest way to get down the road. I'm surprised nobody is running forced induction with the sniper on a f series engine. That would be fun to drive.

It’s being evaluated in the skunkworks wing at Mosley Motors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom