Snicklephritz87 - 60Series Restomod - Home garage restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Snicklephritz87

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Well i just bought a fj60 from Medford oregon. It will be on its way down to my garage to sit for a while. I am excited to get it assembled and driving asap so i have a daily driver around town. My plan is the get the rust taken care of install the windshield and make it driveable. I want to drive it and enjoy it for a while before i change anything.

I am a long time fj40 owner and i may sell the 40 to run this project.

Hopefully i can get it operational by the summer.

Photos

EC9AF02F-8E33-4D67-A818-082C4BD5AE6B.jpeg

38195B8B-5E95-4A9B-AF24-5568C40F9692.jpeg

308E9309-CBBD-46E1-B091-88FD80F726D3.jpeg

Did a few things to prep and clean for metal work. Overall it’s not horrible but not great.

C23E629B-3E07-4CDF-B5BC-A21FAAF7D742.jpeg

Did a lot tonight. Took apart the spare panel. Took my time and still have alot of tweaks to make. Glad i am saving like 25k doing the metal work myself.
image.jpg

Also prepped the truck side a bit more.

7BF245A4-5FE6-45A5-A0A6-4A37759F1C7C.jpeg

I remember seeing that one for sale at some point.

Definitely a project, but that’s the point!

Honestly, if you can get through the metal and body work, everything else will feel easy by comparison.

Have fun and good luck!

Thanks. Yep this one is about the journey. It’s becoming a windows out frame off resto quick… good think the floor panels are In fantastic shape. It’s really just old wheeling damage that is making it a wreck. I do need some help on shaping the metal around the windshield.(i only have a sandbag & hammer) Any tips would be appreciated.

For the windshield area it would be good if you find someone parting a 60 and get them to cut out that section for you. You’re probably already searching as I know they don’t pop up everyday. Great build and have a ton of respect for what you’re doing.

I do need some help on shaping the metal around the windshield.(i only have a sandbag & hammer) Any tips would be appreciated.
Hmm… it’s not very “restoration mindset,” but….

the area that is rusted around your windshield frame appears to be an area that is actually covered up by the windshield gasket, so…

I think you could try your hand at cutting out the rust and doing your best to hammer form sheet metal to weld in.
Get it super good enough, and don’t be afraid to add a skim coat or two of body filler to help smooth things out.

As long as the windshield gasket is sealing properly, you should be good to go in that area

Thanks. Yep this one is about the journey. It’s becoming a windows out frame off resto quick… good think the floor panels are In fantastic shape. It’s really just old wheeling damage that is making it a wreck. I do need some help on shaping the metal around the windshield.(i only have a sandbag & hammer) Any tips would be appreciated.

I made this same repair in the same location. You don't need to do much metal shaping at all...I'll see if I can find a pic.

This is what I was dealing with:

new6240a.jpg

And this is how I approached the repair: I simply cut three strips of sheet metal and welded them together to make the "step" shape. The middle piece needs to be cut to follow the curvature of the windshield frame, but the other two can just be bent to fit. At this point you're just stacking the new metal on top of the old rusty section, using the old crap as a guide.

frame.jpg

Once tacked, you can take it off and finish the welding (I welded both sides). Then you grind the welds and place the piece back on the truck, scribe around it, and cut out the rusty section. Once you've got the patch sitting flush, tack it in. From there it's just a matter of welding and grinding.

new6240.jpg

This was the final result. Not perfect, but definitely much better!

new6241.jpg

Good luck, and let me know if any of the above is unclear.

need help on the rear tailgate. The bars on the inside of my tailgate are off the latch. So the latch dries work. I can’t fit my hand through the access holes. Maybe my wife can. Is there a release that will let me open the tailgate?

I also need help on my rear quarter patch. I am not sure where to patch in my spare and make the cut line. I have a whole rear quarter so i can patch in from the window down if i wanted.

E3BBF3B1-AD61-4EE7-B367-C1F737F9F663.jpeg

Nice! Feel free to check out my build thread, as I'm doing a lot of rust repair on my 62 without any special metalworking tools.
Could use some input on where to cut my rear quarter. Any tips would be helpful.

need help on the rear tailgate. The bars on the inside of my tailgate are off the latch. So the latch dries work. I can’t fit my hand through the access holes. Maybe my wife can. Is there a release that will let me open the tailgate?

I also need help on my rear quarter patch. I am not sure where to patch in my spare and make the cut line. I have a whole rear quarter so i can patch in from the window down if i wanted.

View attachment 3227995
This is what I found to be the cleanest area to swap a quarter. Less welding on the face of the panel
12B2D853-B684-43DF-8E78-15B1312FF1EC.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@CenTXFJ60 @diesellibrarian - this is the replacement panel i have. It’s not perfect but way better.

image.jpg

Here is the truck side.

EDIT - My rear tailgate is stuck from the accident it was in. the rods on the inside are not connected to the latch. any ideas for unlatching that tailgate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom