snapping clutch slaves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend of mine is on his third clutch slave rod....the last one only lasted a week before it snapped. I haven't looked under there to see what's likely causing it, but it makes me wonder what. Are the slaves on F's mounted to the frame or the bellhousing? If it's the frame, I suspect motor mounts, if it's the bell, then I'm really wondering how the heck that happens. Could it be that the fork is not allowing the piston to pivot and it's metal fatiguing it?

what engine?

There are a number of people that have had issues with the acctuation rod and slave cylinder with a V8 conversion.

In either case, the slave should be mounted with the engine/flywheel and NOT the frame...

Good luck!

Post up some pics...

-Steve

It's a 74 FJ40 with an F motor. I know my old v8 was originally mounted to the frame, but I thought standard Toyota was to the bellhousing. The more I think about this problem, the more I think the adjustment nut isn't pivoting in the clutch fork. That would cause the rod to bend everytime the clutch is engaged.

I had that same problem on my oct/74 2f. I never did figure it out. The first time was right after I bought it. I looked underneath and what I saw looked like some PO handy work. I can only descibe as what appeared to be a threaded bolt that had snapped in the thread pattern and some genius had put a nut on about 1 1/2 turns and threaded the other broken piece.Tension and pure dumb luck had held this "trail repair" together for the approx. 4 monthes of my ownership. I went to a local bolt company and bought 3 bolts that were the correct length/ thread pitch ect. and ground off the heads. These bolts were the strongest this place had to offer.The first bolt lasted 2 monthes. I pulled another one out of the glovebox and installed it. Its been on there almost 2 years with no problem.I am at a loss as to why this happened but I've still got one in the glove box! I'll be watching this thread because I really am curious.

it *could* be the clutch itself. If it has gone bad somehow, it would be really hard to push against. That could snap that rod. If your friend tried to force it or something.

I drove this truck, and it feels normal other than the clutch catching way too early in the throw.

have you adjusted it at all? Try adjusting it at the slave itself, and not the clutch pedal. IIRC, you turn the "screw" left to make the clutch catch later.

It's hard to adjust a rod that's broken. ;)
Best I can tell, it's snapping because the adjuster gets wedged into the arm and will no longer pivot there.

I would take the inspection cover off the bell house and see if the spring clip is seated in the pivot ball if not it could be pushing up against the bell housing and binding, I have seen this and it makes the clutch feel funky when you depress and decreases the throw.

Turned out that the clutch fork was so worn that the pushrod was getting jammed in and no longer pivoting. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom