Snapped a bolt on the pressure plate, 5 ok rather than 6???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
While prepping the flywheel for resurfacing, I snapped one of the 6 bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel.

I already tried removing the broken bolt. There is no lip to the bolt and it is recessed. I tried an easy out with the help of Rabid on the board, and of course that broke off. That left us with a hardened steel lip. We tried welding a nut to the top, three times actually, but couldn't get it to hold and unscrew. I am out of broken bolt tricks.

So......can I live with 5 rather than 6 holding the pressure plate? Or should I drag the flywheel back to the machine shop for professional extraction?

When I pulled the driveline from my 40 for the first time since I had bought it I discovered it was not only missing a pressure plate bolt, but there was also no dowel pins! So it can work, but I would be paying a visit to the machine shop if it were me.

EZ

EZ outs should be called something else. I have found that drilling with successively bigger drills until almost only threads are left is the most reliable way to get them to work. Do not use the spiral-threaded units, they are s***e. Sears has a good set, for a good price, of the squared, tapered type that I find most useful. And when tightening those bolts in future, make sure to use an end wrench, not a ratchet. I think the torque is only ~20 ftlbs.

5 bolts might be OK, but you won't know until it fails. I wouldn't do it in my rig.

Well i took the wisdom of the crowd and dropped the pressure plate off at the machine shop. Thanks.

I just got it FROM the damn machine shop! OH well.

EZ outs should be called something else. I have found that drilling with successively bigger drills until almost only threads are left is the most reliable way to get them to work. Do not use the spiral-threaded units, they are s***e. Sears has a good set, for a good price, of the squared, tapered type that I find most useful. And when tightening those bolts in future, make sure to use an end wrench, not a ratchet. I think the torque is only ~20 ftlbs.

I had a set of them. When I snapped one off in the side cover extracting a bolt, and snapped off a drill bit trying to get that out, I wound up having to take my truck to a local shop where they had to take a torch and normalize the steel. Cost me $200 to have that fixed.

The 'EZ outs' went in the trash....

:bang:

I have a large supply of japanese standard metric nuts and bolts. Anytime I remove something that has been on the truck 20+ years it gets replaced with new hardware. Just isn't worth dealing with broken bolts.

Ez out my arse. Never had a smooth extraction.

Buckwheat is right; start small and progress up.

You did the right thing. I wouldn't run five just for balance reasons.

You did the right thing. Heavy s*** spinning at 3,000+ rpms is nothing to sneeze at. Although essevtially "captured" by the input shaft, it could cause more than a racket.

BTW, welding a nut on has worked for me, but only with the welder (Miller 250) turned up to Chernobyl and starting the arc on the stuck part.

UDONEGOOD:beer:

old days...

in the old days, i would not hesitate to just weld it up to the end of the crank flange...

I have gotten several clutch changes out of serious vehicles that I just drilled out the weld to do the next change. And then rewleded it after bolting it up.

now days, drill shaft, and ez out the bolt...have had to heat a few down there on my Daily Driver, a 87 2wD when a bolt broke there...plus on the second clutch there, i drilled out the problem hole and retapped it to the next bigger bolt with same thread size.

all things considered, you have many options. Best to your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom